Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Today's electronics are more delicate than previous generations.
Nonsense.

Today's electronics are way past vacuum tubes and even older solid-state electronics. The abuse my poor laptop and blackberry have been through... my god but even I'm amazed at the abuse they take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73
Look on craigslist and find out just how many kindles and ipads with broken screens you can buy.
Okay... I took your advice. I just went up on Craigslist and looked.

I found a lot of kindles and iPads. I did not find a single one with a broken screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I posted a link earlier. I collaborate with these folks listed. We're not software developers primarily speaking, we're researchers associated with dynamic narrative generation, natural language, and data mining. You should look up Leonardo by the same group, a project that was recently awarded $3.5M in NSF money. Look under the group's publication page for research we've done.

The Intellimedia Group - Projects
Thanks. I will check this out.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Actually... that has not been my experience at all.

While I'm not sure where anybody has talked about it being "their primary mode of education," it is pretty clear that a teacher standing in front of a room as a "primary mode" is failing us. This is what requires us to march towards the lowest common denominator in terms of content and pace.

The ability to customize and deliver curricula at the pace of the individual student could revolutionize our competitiveness. Devices like these will allow that.

Why send them with it? We're not talking about a Howdy Doody Lunch Box.

I got kids. I don't seem to have had the same problems raising them you have though. I waste no effort trying to account for that.
Go volunteer in a school where 80% or more are on reduced lunch and have behavior/emotional/home problems. Then watch that teacher try to teach. The teacher is not "failing us". When a kid has slept in a van all night and hasn't eaten breakfast..learning about math is the last thing they are interested in. It's easy to blame the teachers.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Yes baby, good bye heavy books

Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
These kids do not have IPhones...where are you getting this data ?
I didn't say they had iPhones.

I got the data from the Center on Media and Child Health.

Cell Phones

Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Oh... more than just the affluent districts.

22 percent of young children already own a cell phone (ages 6-9), 60 percent of tweens (ages 10-14), and 84 percent of teens (ages 15-18). These are the devices that all the education friendly OSs are converging on.

IPhone, Droid, WindowsPhone... you name it.
Looks to me like you did.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:22 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

Today's electronics are way past vacuum tubes and even older solid-state electronics. The abuse my poor laptop and blackberry have been through... my god but even I'm amazed at the abuse they take.

Yes. Todays electronics are fail-proof.

Signed,
SquareTrade

Old 03-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Go volunteer in a school where 80% or more are on reduced lunch and have behavior/emotional/home problems.
Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.

Further more, my wife has spent 30+ years in that environment as a Sped Diagnostician. She is having crushing success with these technologies in a population that has already been failed by the traditional brick and mortar school system.

Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
Then watch that teacher try to teach. The teacher is not "failing us".
I never said the teachers are failing us. What these teachers are doing is heroic.

I said the model is failing us. It was designed for an agrarian society that has not been the reality in this country for generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan
When a kid has slept in a van all night and hasn't eaten breakfast..learning about math is the last thing they are interested in. It's easy to blame the teachers.
You are the only one in this thread who has suggested we blame the teachers. And I could show you a number of these kids who have come to adore math.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

Good to hear your devices have lived.

Quote:
Okay... I took your advice. I just went up on Craigslist and looked.

I found a lot of kindles and iPads. I did not find a single one with a broken screen.
2 kindles in my area (Raleigh). My sony reader was destroyed merely by a textbook leaning up against it too much in a backpack. Ebay has quite a few also. Drop your kindle from 5 feet and see what happens. The daily abuse a child without any understanding of money and labor that goes into making one is multiplied. Since I am an expert in the area of mobile learning platforms, as we conduct our studies we get a first hand look at how children work with technology. Our group is not prepared to loan any of our iPads to these children without supervision, primarily out of fear of them breaking.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Looks to me like you did.
Along with two other OSs. And even that was not a comprehensive list.

Please... do not try to rewrite my posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies