Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:13 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Roughly 150 various advocates — lobbyists for gays and lesbians, legislators, White House officials, at least one cabinet secretary and the first lady — gathered around President’s Obama’s bully pulpit in the White House Thursday to cheer for increased government monitoring and intervention in Facebook conversations, in playgrounds and in schoolrooms around the country. No officials at the televised East Room roll-out of the White House’s anti-bullying initiative suggested any limits to government intervention against juvenile physical violence, social exclusion or unwanted speech. None mentioned the usefulness to children of unsupervised play. None suggested there were any risks created by a government program to enforce children’s approval of other children who are unpopular, overweight, or who declare themselves to be gay, lesbians or transgender."

White House child speech oversight | Obama | bullying | | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Should the federal Government be involved in school-aged bullying?

The question is about the role of the federal government and not whether something should be done about bullying. I don't think anyone thinks bullying is a good thing.
Nope. It's the parents' business and the schools' business. The gov't should not be involved in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 03:27 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Personally I think one really good way to curb bullying would be through genetic research because it seems evident that many humans in the past couple generations were born without a spine.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:29 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Default Should The Federal Government Be Involved In Bullying?

The government did a good job of bullying at Waco, and Ruby Ridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
“We’re going to prevent bullying and create an environment where every single one of our children can thrive,”
And how is he going to do this? Imprison children who speak the wrong words? Mind control? Stupidity at it’s best.
There are already laws covering physical violence. And you can’t control what someone thinks, Bully’s have been around forever and will continue to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Oh, please! Who here doesn't know the cure for bullying? We've all been exposed to it and we all know what needs to be done, but nobody will say it. Well...I will!

It won't be solved by passing more laws or enforcing the laws we have now. Neither the federal or state or local goverments need to be out on the school yards keeping the little punks from terrorizing other students. Heck, neither do the teachers! Zero tolerance or teaching respect or sensitivity training won't cut it. Little boys know the answer and, if left alone to be boys, will do what needs to be done...kick the little bastid's azzes!

Cases in point:

My eldest grandson (age 8) was being bullied by a gang of 3rd graders and all the meetings, counseling, parent sessions and other BS ad nauseum wasn't working. So, one day, he'd had enough and beat the crap out of all three of them at once. No more bullying problem.

My youngest grandson, age 5, clocked a kid for cutting in line at lunch. Guess what? That kid won't cut the line any more, will he?

Even the number one great-grandson, age 2, did his part this week. Another boy in day care bit him, so my boy said, "NO, No, f---er!", then laid him out with a knock upside the head.

Yeah, I know...those examples will outrage and shock all the wienee's here who think the solution to every problem is more government and more laws, but that's what solves the bullying problem and always has. If the do-gooder's, cowardly little dorks, Mommy's who shelter their little darlings, teachers, cops, parents and everyone else will just get out of the way and let boys be boys, it won't be an issue.

Frankly, I'm proud of my little men!
When I was in school, I was always fat. Nobody picked on me. I had a good plan. If someone called me fat, I told them not to do it again. If they called me fat again, I warned them if they called me fat again, I would beat them up. If they called me fat again, I beat them up. Worked then, it'll work now.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Oh, please! Who here doesn't know the cure for bullying? We've all been exposed to it and we all know what needs to be done, but nobody will say it. Well...I will!

It won't be solved by passing more laws or enforcing the laws we have now. Neither the federal or state or local goverments need to be out on the school yards keeping the little punks from terrorizing other students. Heck, neither do the teachers! Zero tolerance or teaching respect or sensitivity training won't cut it. Little boys know the answer and, if left alone to be boys, will do what needs to be done...kick the little bastid's azzes!

Cases in point:

My eldest grandson (age 8) was being bullied by a gang of 3rd graders and all the meetings, counseling, parent sessions and other BS ad nauseum wasn't working. So, one day, he'd had enough and beat the crap out of all three of them at once. No more bullying problem.

My youngest grandson, age 5, clocked a kid for cutting in line at lunch. Guess what? That kid won't cut the line any more, will he?

Even the number one great-grandson, age 2, did his part this week. Another boy in day care bit him, so my boy said, "NO, No, f---er!", then laid him out with a knock upside the head.

Yeah, I know...those examples will outrage and shock all the wienee's here who think the solution to every problem is more government and more laws, but that's what solves the bullying problem and always has. If the do-gooder's, cowardly little dorks, Mommy's who shelter their little darlings, teachers, cops, parents and everyone else will just get out of the way and let boys be boys, it won't be an issue.

Frankly, I'm proud of my little men!
Well said. Stand up to that bully. And cyber bullies are even more afraid..they hide behind the veil of the internet.

My son defended himself once in school and got suspended for 2 days while the one who started it got suspended for 3 days. Who was the victim here ? I took those 2 days off and took my son to the movies and such. He did nothing wrong. I told that to both him and the principal. The principal told me her hands were tied as those were the rules they had to follow.."no fighting". Zero tolerance rules in schools are bullcrap.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:51 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I don't have a problem with it because I do find it is a national epidemic - though it has been going on for decades. Today's media just allows it to seem more prominent.

But, that said, I find it difficult to see President Obama spending time and money on this message when people in Middle Eastern and North African countries were/are being massacred by the "bully" authoritarian governments.
Can you show me where in the Constitution it says they should be involved?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
America is a bully. So it goes from government all the way to the citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies