Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This is an interesting article that explains why conservatives hate High-Speed Rail. The only argument they have is that rail costs more than highways do. That argument got debunked. Conservatives just don't like to see progression. If we were in the cavemen era, they would not want to build infrastructure. They would want us to continue living in caves without lights and be uncivilized. Conservatives just hate fun and new ideas.

Weigel : Why Conservatives Hate Trains
I can't speak for everyone, but I oppose government subsidation of rail transportation because I believe, deep in my soul, that if there were enough demand for it, rail transporation companies would arise offering the service through private investment.

Why don't people ride trains? I think that Grayhound buses tend to be cheaper than trains. Hence, people looking for low-cost transit take buses. People looking for rapid transit take the car or fly. That doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for trains to grab a share of the transportation market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Why Conservatives Hate High-Speed Rail

Quote:
This is an interesting article that explains why conservatives hate High-Speed Rail. The only argument they have is that rail costs more than highways do. That argument got debunked. Conservatives just don't like to see progression. If we were in the cavemen era, they would not want to build infrastructure. They would want us to continue living in caves without lights and be uncivilized. Conservatives just hate fun and new ideas.

Weigel : Why Conservatives Hate Trains
Yet, every issue of TAC I receive has a nice series of articles on the benefits of rail. (which you can note on this link at the bottom right)

The American Conservative

So if Conservatives hate rail so much, then why is the premier paleconservative publication in print today running articles on the benefits of rail?

The irony is that rail isn't a 'new' idea at all, in fact in the 1920's, the average person in this country was one of the most mobile people on the planet and America had a vast infrastructure of trains, light rail, trolly's, etc...

Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q9ze...e_gdata_player

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Why Conservatives Hate High-Speed Rail

Yet, every issue of TAC I receive has a nice series of articles on the benefits of rail. (which you can note on this link at the bottom right)

The American Conservative

So if Conservatives hate rail so much, then why is the premier paleconservative publication in print today running articles on the benefits of rail?

The irony is that rail isn't a 'new' idea at all, in fact in the 1920's, the average person in this country was one of the most mobile people on the planet and America had a vast infrastructure of trains, light rail, trolly's, etc...
There'sa disocnnetc between TAC and mainstream " conservatives". Mainstream "conservatives" are more neo-conservatives or Neo-Confused, whereas TAC is more old fashioned conservative, which is where most of my political beliefs come from. I don't believe that highways = freedom and trains = communism. However, I think we shouldn't build cute quick choo-choo trains everywhere because railfanners say trains are awesome. They need to have practical and realistic considerations built into it, with the assumption that whatever train project they dream up of and whatever numbers they come up with for a ridership forecast, they should lower it by about 30%-40% and that'll be a more accurate number. But, HSR CANNOT and WILL NOT be successful if the train stops along the way do not have ample ways to get around the city. That's why the HSR route between Orlando and Tampa is a blackhole for money. Public transport hardly exists in both cities. This project was more for showmanship more than anything and Gov. Scott was very wise for terminating it

Old 03-15-2011, 12:57 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
The final nail in its coffin came last week when a Florida court ruled that the new governor could not be forced to accept the federal money and start building it.

This is OT, but why in the heck was there a challenge to his decision to the point where taxpayer money was wasted on going to court? I tell ya, those liberals are some whining, crybaby sore losers!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I don't drive. So why should my tax dollars be used to subsidize highways I don't use?
Asked and answered. The search function is your friend.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
People don't get to choose where there tax money goes. There is tax money spent on roads I will never use, wars I never supported, and financing dreams of politicians I would never vote for. But I accept that as a price for choosing to live in a society. If you can't handle it, find a remote island and spare the rest of us.
You DO get to choose by voting in candidates that support your fiscal views.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm not aware of any buses using the interstate highway system in my area, and my house was built 41 years before the interstate highway system was started.

As for freight, let's return to the way it was done before the highways existed; use more locally produced stuff, and transport more goods by rail.

The bottom line is this: when the government started subsidizing roads and highways, (why didn't private investors build them?) it threw everything off balance. To bring our transportation system back into balance, the government either needs to subsidize all systems, or none of them.
I see city buses on the freeways in Milwaukee on a daily basis. I've seen them in Tampa as well. Large cities tend to have this going on.

Rail doesn't help the goods get from the tracks to the grocery stores to your home.

If you don't care about roads b/c your house was built before the interstates were built, then I guess YOU are the one who does not like moving into modern times.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
As the politicians argue about this, you wonder if the general public would go for it. Surely, many politicians say, they don't want it and would never agree to put up public money. Surprise! In California the voters approved a $10 billion bond issue for it. True the economy was suffering and creating jobs may have been part of it, but it shows there is some public support. Aspiring office holders take note!
That's b/c lots of voters don't understand how much debt this country is in, not to mention how CA is on the verge of bankruptcy. They all live in idealistic liberal-land where nothing costs real money b/c the rich are taxed to death. They're not paying with their own money, so spend, spend and SPEND SOME MORE!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I didn't watch the video but saw the screen shot of what's to come. Um, why is it the gov't's job to provide public transportation? So the poor can do their grocery shopping? It's an industry that caters basically to the poor, who are already paying no taxes and living off the gov't teet. The only exceptions to this are college students (I used to park and ride instead of paying for a campus parking permit...however, I got to ride the bus for "free," since it was paid for with part of the fees added to my tuition) and drunk people late at night who don't want to drive (that's what a cab is for, or designated drivers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies