Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Obama's team seeks new ways to fire up his base (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110315/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_campaign_enthusiasm - broken link)

Barack Obama rode a wave of voter passion in 2008 fed largely by intense dislike of President George W. Bush and the Iraq war, plus excitement among young and minority voters at the notion of electing the nation's first black president.

Translation - He ran on the old administration and emotion.

So how does he fire up his base?

One answer, the president said, is to persuade hardcore liberals to swallow their anger over political compromises the administration reached with Republicans, even when Democrats controlled both chambers of Congress.

"There's no weakness in us trying to reach out and seeing if we can find common ground," the president said.

Translation - Forget my past record. Don't trust yourselves and your feelings - trust me - I know what I'm doing.

His aides say...

They say GOP-led efforts to end state workers' collective bargaining rights in Wisconsin and elsewhere are dramatically galvanizing the labor movement, a key Democratic constituency.

gays and lesbians, may shrug off several disappointments and work hard for Obama's re-election because he signed legislation beginning the repeal of the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy,

some black voters are disappointed in Obama, wishing he would do more for impoverished Americans.

For now the strategy is ...

For now, the Obama team is unveiling few new ideas specifically keyed to firing up core constituencies. A recent White House conference call urged young voters to hold roundtables, which administration officials may attend, to discuss priorities and offer feedback.

Beyond that, Obama eventually plans large rallies similar to those in 2008.

What's missing - even from 2008? How all Americans will benefit from another four years of Obama being president. At most, he will lift up how gays will benefit, and how blacks (minus Clarence Thomas types) will benefit, and how unions will benefit. Everything else will most likely be about fear and division.

That platform will get us nowhere. At some point, we need jobs, we need food to eat and means to produce such. We need to protect ourselves against outsiders. We need a president who trusts in the people to advance the country. I don't see any of that out of Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
He also promised "A path to citizenship" which has yet another big group hanging and waiting.

He's got a lot more NEW promises he needs to make.
Can he still blame Bush though ?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 AM

My problem is that in his helping of the "groups", the "whole" does not benefit.

He probably will try and blame Bush - but the fact is his solutions have not worked for the majority of Americans.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
He will win again in 2012, the GOP has nothing in their bag of tricks except the same old Whine. Get used to the idea, I will wait until after the elections to say I Told You So.
Casper

Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
during the last election, Obama was the rorschach blot of politicians: formless, meaningless, and completely up for interpretation. "Hope and Change" meant whatever people wanted it to, and it worked.

Next go-round, he will likely be up against a Republican who will try and paint him as a big spender, and an advocate of big government. I think they will probably succeed, if they bring someone who is charismatic, and can go toe-to-toe with Obama on specific, practical policy issues that middle class Americans are capable of understanding (in the style of Gov Christie). I think if the GOP keeps things vague and ideological (say, with Palin), they will lose.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
He will win again in 2012, the GOP has nothing in their bag of tricks except the same old Whine. Get used to the idea, I will wait until after the elections to say I Told You So.
Casper
Other than saying that your guy won - how do you benefit from Obama as prez? How do see America benefiting?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
He will be judged lie all presidents on results ands his are terrible for the spendig he has done.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:57 AM

628 posts, read 1,316,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Casper
Who cares if he wins....he will be impotent...congress controls spending and that will remain in Republican hands including a pick up of several seats in the Senate

Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
Who cares if he wins....he will be impotent...congress controls spending and that will remain in Republican hands including a pick up of several seats in the Senate
Be aware that if Obama wins, it will be through people who click one vote for the entire Democratic ticket. So don't assume that Republicans will retain anything if Obama wins.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:40 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times
So if he wins? .. So what?

The States are already bucking him and his administration .. The Congress .. The Mandates .. I don't see a problem with 4 more years of gridlock.

We can all see how even with a super majority in Congress, nothing really got done .. so, if he wins, it'll be nap time for another 4 years before we can finally move forward.

My big concern isn't so much having to do with him winning, as it is with him losing.

If Obama loses, they'll be screaming discrimination from the tallest towers in the nation .. the courts will be filled with lawsuits, and all of a sudden, we'll all be looked upon as racists.

I'm not too impressed with the "American Idol" style of Presidency in this country .. these, though they might be fun, won't work out too well for us in the end, and the longer that the Obama types remain in office, the more we'll come to realize that we need someone who isn't afraid to step up to the real challenges that confront us here on the street level.

The Obama Presidency, so far, has shown us all that being on the Conservative side isn't really such a bad thing afterall .. Obama has done more for the Conservative movement in this country, than even the Conservatives themselves could have ever hoped for.

More people have read the Constitution over the past two years, than at any time in the last 100 years .. and all thanks to Obama.

Sometimes we need to take a look at just how bad things could be, before we realize just how good we really do have it, and Obama has not failed us in that regard. With Obama, we got a real good look at our future .. and regardless of whether or not Obama remains in office, Americans, as a whole, will reject the kind of future that Obama wants for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies