Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is homophobia just as bad as racism?
Yes 93 55.69%
No 68 40.72%
Not sure 6 3.59%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:13 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Fine...but you did not answer my question. How is gay marriage going to harm the institution of marriage?
In point of fact I did. Anything that changes the definition of the institution, anything that changes the purpose of the institution.........changes the institution. I may not be a christian but I've been married for nearly 30 years. I raised my own child. I've always cherished, honored, and loved my wife. I've done my best to protect and provide for both of them.

Unlike my parents I felt there was something far more important than myself when I took my vows. You have to believe that you know. Others are more important than yourself. If you don't believe that, marriage is just words.

Last edited by Dutchman01; 03-17-2011 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
It still is a deviant behavior. Whether or not you consider it to be so, or are duped by the politically correct idea that it is...well, that doesn't change the facts.

yes...it is still a deviation from the norm, as well.
You are certainly welcome to your opinion that it is deviant behavior...but your opinion doesn't make it so.

In a statistical sense, yes it is a deviation from the norm...but I fail to see a problem with that.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Why would gay people be happy that straight people are still around? Straight people are the ones who constantly cause problems for gays.
Great, the ol' victim scenario. Blacks would be better off if there weren't whites around to victimize them. Hispanics would be better off if americans weren't around to steal their land. Blah, blah, blah.

The single biggest problem in the gay community within my lifetime is/was aids. That was a result of the promescuity that exists within the gay community.

My biggest problems in life have nothing to do with other demographics, religions, or ethnicities. My biggest problems in life boil down to decions I make. I have met the enemy..........and he is me.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:17 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Why would gay people be happy that straight people are still around? Straight people are the ones who constantly cause problems for gays.
Most gays wouldn't be here if it weren't for straight people.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:17 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
It still is a deviant behavior. Whether or not you consider it to be so, or are duped by the politically correct idea that it is...well, that doesn't change the facts.

yes...it is still a deviation from the norm, as well.
I agree. I did not say it was no longer deviant behavior. I said that in the medical and psych field it is no longer considered deviant but an "alternative lifestyle."

But I can see where this term is offensive in the same vein that the old term retarded is to the mentally challenged.
They are descriptive terms in medicine but are no longer in vogue in our PC society.

Homosexuality is not the norm even if people use the ever present arguement "animals in the wild engage in it." Just because it appears in nature does not mean that it is natural. There are abberations in nature as well.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:18 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
You are certainly welcome to your opinion that it is deviant behavior...but your opinion doesn't make it so.
Yet...you're under the impression that your opinion that it isn't deviant behavior means that it isn't.
Quote:
In a statistical sense, yes it is a deviation from the norm...but I fail to see a problem with that.
Your opinion is as irrelevant as mine, isn't it? Now what?

Quote:

How bout STD's?

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
In point of fact I did. Anything that changes the definition of the institution, anything that changes the purpose of the institution.........changes the institution. I may not be a christian but I've been married for nearly 30 years. I raised my own child. I've always cherished, honored, and loved my wife. I've done my best to protect and provide for both of them.

Unlike my parents I felt there was something far more important than myself when I took my vows. You have to believe that you know. Others are more important than yourself. If you don't believe that marriage is just words.
Actually, you did not answer my question...because letting homosexuals get married does nothing to the institution of marriage.

Before my partner of 20+ years died, I cherished, and honored him too, how does that change your marriage?

Try again.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Actually, you did not answer my question...because letting homosexuals get married does nothing to the institution of marriage.

Before my partner of 20+ years died, I cherished, and honored him too, how does that change your marriage?

Try again.
For one thing, it changes the definition of marriage. Since I am married, I don't care to have it changed.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:22 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
All straight people cause gay people problems? It seems like that's a pretty ignorant thing to say, if you didn't have a huge number of straight people supporting your cause you would NEVER make any progress since you represent such a small percentage of the overall population. I suggest you rethink what you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies