Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:58 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,662 times

Advertisements

I know that there is this idea that people should have a 'living wage'. i would really like someone to define that for me ie what does a 'living wage' include? healthcare, food, gas, housing, education?

anytime companies are forced to pay employees more than they are worth, they create an incentive for those companies to move to where they aren't subject to this. it is a lovely concept that a cleaner who works 40hours a week, can pop down to his local walmart and put 400hours of someone else's labor in his shopping cart, but that simply isn't sustainable.

we will get paid what we are worth whether we like it or not, whether we protest or not! we will be forced to live on what we get not force employers to pay for how we live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 01:30 PM

93 posts, read 130,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
I know that there is this idea that people should have a 'living wage'. i would really like someone to define that for me ie what does a 'living wage' include? healthcare, food, gas, housing, education?

anytime companies are forced to pay employees more than they are worth, they create an incentive for those companies to move to where they aren't subject to this. it is a lovely concept that a cleaner who works 40hours a week, can pop down to his local walmart and put 400hours of someone else's labor in his shopping cart, but that simply isn't sustainable.

we will get paid what we are worth whether we like it or not, whether we protest or not! we will be forced to live on what we get not force employers to pay for how we live
Try Again!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Belonging to a Union is no guarantee of a living wage. I have 3 family members that are union members and are making $12-15/hour. In the Seattle area that's not much more than the state minimum wage of $8.75. For a family of two adults and one child here a living wage is about $25/hour.

$12 may well be a living wage in other areas, though. A typical Wal-Mart entry level employee will do a lot better in Nebraska or Mississippi than in New York or California.

As for getting paid what we are worth, consider that an EMT driving an ambulance and saving lives, after training and passing a state certification test average $14/hour to start. At our local school
district a union janitor starts at $16.

here's a site that might help you:
Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator

Old 03-16-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Belonging to a Union is no guarantee of a living wage. I have 3 family members that are union members and are making $12-15/hour. In the Seattle area that's not much more than the state minimum wage of $8.75. For a family of two adults and one child here a living wage is about $25/hour.

$12 may well be a living wage in other areas, though. A typical Wal-Mart entry level employee will do a lot better in Nebraska or Mississippi than in New York or California.

As for getting paid what we are worth, consider that an EMT driving an ambulance and saving lives, after training and passing a state certification test average $14/hour to start. At our local school

Way to try and talk some sense into the OP. I wonder what the OP thinks a Lawyer is worth compard to a Nurse. One screws people out of money and the other helps saves lives.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post

i want the living wage not in dollar terms, but in what people expect in return for their wage, ie what they can buy.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmharvey View Post
Way to try and talk some sense into the OP. I wonder what the OP thinks a Lawyer is worth compard to a Nurse. One screws people out of money and the other helps saves lives.
jim, one is worth what people are prepared to pay for their services or the products they produce. it's not a personal thing, it's just the way that it is. lawyers, like doctors are part of a club which heavily controls their numbers, thus there is always a shortage of them and their cost goes up

Old 03-16-2011, 02:06 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,341,538 times
Quote:
lawyers, like doctors are part of a club which heavily controls their numbers, thus there is always a shortage of them and their cost goes up
There is no shortage of lawyers.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:08 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
There is no shortage of lawyers.
Yeah, America couldn't get so lucky.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
i want the living wage not in dollar terms, but in what people expect in return for their wage, ie what they can buy.

you're not supposed to ask complicated questions like that, of the living wage calculator. you might upset it, and then what?

just trust it. the living wage calculator wants what is best for you, robbo.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
jim, one is worth what people are prepared to pay for their services or the products they produce. it's not a personal thing, it's just the way that it is. lawyers, like doctors are part of a club which heavily controls their numbers, thus there is always a shortage of them and their cost goes up
You have that backwards. There is a shortage of nurses not lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies