Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:39 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,564,816 times

Advertisements

Reason for the copy protection is because of people like yourself. Studios put it in to help curb the pirated movies. It's not working very well because of hackers who think they should get everythingfor free instead of earning a paycheck and paying for the goods and services they want. I don't steal movies or music so this proposed law change doesn't effect me. But I'm enjoying seeing how worried it makes the thieves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 04:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Reason for the copy protection is because of people like yourself.
Are you referring to me? My post prior to ths was not about me personally. I'm a content creator, not a content taker.

I don't pirate anything, I've had my own stuff stolen though.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:15 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,953,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hey..they got the Patriot Act and can just use "National Security".
I'm sure there were some corporate lobbyists behind this one.
This is a great idea seeing how Dear Leader was elected by younger "rock the vote" types who are more likely to download pirated music.

Some day people will learn the best government is a very starved government.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,832,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Alarming White House position paper suggests making it a felony to "illegally stream" movies or music

Oh the right wing shill machine will cower in fear over sharia law being streamed into a remote corner of Wyoming, get on their collective knees and beg big government to keep them safe.

The left wingers will bemoan how hate speech could be shown in a sleepy Connecticut suburb infecting the Northeastern ivory towers of liberalism with free speech they disagree with. To which they will then get on their collective knees and beg for big government to keep the children safe.

Meanwhile, Debbie Does Dallas is playing on the Disney Channel

This might just be the greatest summation of fear mongering ever to exist in less then 140 characters.

Great irony. It made me wanna grab the duct tape to shield myself from Janet Jacksons nip slip which obviously fueled the Taliban to arm Iraq with newkulear weapons.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:59 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,970,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
This is a great idea seeing how Dear Leader was elected by younger "rock the vote" types who are more likely to download pirated music.

Some day people will learn the best government is a very starved government.
Young people aren't exactly known to use common sense

Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Mozilla Firefox browser + Download Helper + Download Accelerator Plus + most any site with a streamable movie ='s free movie.

See also; Torrents.

Utorrent + google search for "name of movie" torrent file ='s free movie.

Free MP3's? otherwise known as "songs"?

How to Search for MP3s using Google - Automated!

"Free" in this case means "stolen".
In the case of bit torrents, isn't this the reason that they can only go after either a 'seed' host that has a complete file, or the end user once they complete the file? Even then, the original host file isn't being given to anyone whole. This would be like me buying a copy of Huck Finn and you downloading the letters wgovbuhvan from my copy of the book. Have you really broken any copyright by possessing the letters wgovbuhvan?

The end user with a complete downloaded file is honestly the only person they could even remotely prosecute, and even then the jury is still out over whether it is illegally obtained if bob only gave aslkajgsagklj and mary gave ncvqrnargh. If you have a song with notes like GEB, does this mean you are in copyright violation of Disney's Cinderella since somewhere in the film those notes are used, maybe even in the same three note sequence? Where does one draw the line?

This is why the courts are struggling with this issue, especially with Bit Torrents, because it is far more complicated than say, letting corporate America buy elections for instance.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,472,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Big business? There are hundreds of small independent film makers and thousands of workers who labor behind the scenes of major projects whose product is being stolen, yes stolen, by pirating their work.
Stolen by their very own people. How does a new CD that hasn't even been released yet find it's way on to the internet for download? Yep, that's right, someone from within the very recording company the artists are paying. Same thing with movies. I don't think filming a movie with a video camera in the theater is pirating anything. It's not an exact copy. The same argument used for VHS and cassette tapes. It is said that it is NOT pirating when you record something to these types of media because it is not an exact digital copy of the original.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,735,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Big business? There are hundreds of small independent film makers and thousands of workers who labor behind the scenes of major projects whose product is being stolen, yes stolen, by pirating their work.

Once again it is amazing how the so-called core values of so-called conservatives are based purely on what can be used to excoriate the current administration. For folks who claim that private property is sacrosanct to sudden turn a blind eye to what is no more than theft of intellectual property and to term protecting that intellectual property as just a power grab by the federal government is flat out astounding.

^^This.

What is it about the internet that makes people think that theft is no longer theft?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,346,966 times
This just proves how much this administrations priorities are way off course.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,200,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Call me a dense old dinosaur, but what exactly is illegal streaming? How could a kid do it at home as someone pointed out?
Streaming? Like bifurcated streaming?

It's easy. Connect to the internet, type in "airmp3" on google, click on the website, search for the music you want, and download it for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The paper makes it fairly clear that the targets are end-users. For instance, why would you want or need to wiretap an end-user if you were pursuing a hosting site?
Making an example out of an end-user can have a tremendous shock-value effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I really don't see why criminal law would need to enter into this at all, unless we are talking about outright counterfeiting.
You don't really need criminal laws. Just bar them from obtaining student loans, Pell Grants or HUD housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The end users are being targeted because the goal is to criminalize EVERY activity, which can then be selectively enforced as a total control measure.

The entire idea is totally insane, and a poster child for an out of control police state, whose ultimate goal is not to protect copyrighted material, but to destroy the free flow of information on the web ... especially documentary type content, and alternative news sources.
That's an interesting theory. I can't say I'm inclined to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Let's use an analogy .... first ... is there any fundamental difference between buying an electronic book online, and sending it to your best friend to read ... versus buying a physical book at borders and giving it to your friend to read? No ... there is no fundamental difference. Your friend gets to read a book he did not purchase himself.
Your analogy fails.

There's a difference between me giving my best friend Jimmy my Rush 2112 cassette tape so he can hear it, and putting a digital version on the internet for every swinging Dick & Jane on Planet Earth to download it.

That should be obvious. The people downloading are not your "friends." You don't even know them. In fact, you don't even know who is downloading or how many times it has been downloaded.

Also, you aren't giving those files to people, rather you are letting them take the file.

Also in your analogy, only one person has access to the item at any given time. You can't give a book to 50,000 people at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why wait a month to buy it when you can just go download it?
Well, that would be indicative of systemic problems in a society, namely the complete lack of any self-discipline and an inability to control infantile urges.

We've seen that before you know. "Why should I live in an apartment for 3 years saving money for a down-payment on a McMansion when I can put no money down and move in now?"

And those very same sorry bastards have the gall to whine because they have no wealth. No kidding. And even that wouldn't be so bad except to satisfy their 2-year old infantile urges they're maxing out their credit cards and their HELOC and then getting a 2nd Mortgage to pay of the credit cards and HELOC so they can max them out again. And then you because you bought you McMansion with no money down for $250,000 and then you gave away $250,000 in interest and now it's selling for $300,000 so you lost your shirt.

You folks in the Me First Generation and the Me, Myself and I First Generation are the scourge of the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It is said that it is NOT pirating when you record something to these types of media because it is not an exact digital copy of the original.
It doesn't have to be exact. It just has to be a facsimile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies