Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hilarious! It's been what - 31 days? They wait until the "rebels" are about to be slaughtered, along with their brothers who already were.

Ok...now you're A-ok with invading and bombing a sovereign nation?

I can only imagine what the reaction would be if this were Bush.
I never said I was opposed to invading a sovereign nation. Isn't that what nearly every war in the history of wars has entailed? I think the word you're looking for is "pre-emptive", which is a much more morally ambiguous territory. This situation, obviously, is far from pre-emptive.

There was no revolution in Iraq. There was no tie to 9/11 in Iraq. There is a push for democracy and peace in the Middle East and a global effort (wisely not led by the US) to foster it in the face of a madman.

And I can't defend the slow movement of the UN, but it would have certainly been foolhardy for Obama to make the same mistake Bush did by moving ahead without authorization.

A strong leader learns from the failed decision points of predecessors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:16 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
As Hillary Clinton said this morning, or yesterday morning (i forget) "there are evil rulers, conflicts between and within countries all over the world at one time or another. As much as America would love for everyone to have freedom and democracy we cannot simply intervene, at will." That's paraphrased, but essentially what she said.

She's actually right, we can't.

I wonder if you, Sunny-Dave90, felt the same way during the Rwanda holocaust; the horrific Congro fighting? No? Well, what about that bloody horrific war in Bosnia?

Bush jumped into the Iraq war because he and Cheney had a plan to steal their oil. It's really that simple.

ANd just tonight when Donal Trump was thumping on Obama, (and some of it justified, IMO, I might add) he said, "Iran is going to go in and take Iraq's oil, so why don't we just take their oil?"

Ain't that just so American of him!! Iraq was about stealing their oil. As for Libya, whaat were we to do? We needed to be in unison with other UN nations......the ranch at Crawford was sold and the wannabe cowboy is now living in a very urban and posh gated community in Dallas.
Back that ridiculous statement up with some facts.

The liberal lie of we went for the oil died many years ago once it was exposed as a looney liberal lie.

How much oil did Bush and Cheney get then?

I will answer it for you ---- ZERO.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Jeez, I'm sorry to admit I voted for Obama. I mean, I knew deep-down that he was most likely under-qualified to be POTUS, but while I was enamored with the "audacity for hope" after 8 years of being under rule of Hop Along Cassidy, I tried to give the man the benefit of the doubt.
Who'da thunk that he would deliberate over even the simplest policy decisions longer than Paris Hilton taking a Trigonometry test?
Mitt Romney, anyone?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:26 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Jeez, I'm sorry to admit I voted for Obama. I mean, I knew deep-down that he was most likely under-qualified to be POTUS, but while I was enamored with the "audacity for hope" after 8 years of being under rule of Hop Along Cassidy, I tried to give the man the benefit of the doubt.
Who'da thunk that he would deliberate over even the simplest policy decisions longer than Paris Hilton taking a Trigonometry test?
Mitt Romney, anyone?
Why do you assume he was deliberating? He was simply waiting for the UN. After the debacle of Hop Along Cassidy, as you call him, going without UN approval how could you think that to be a bad decision?

It's not like he could come out and say anything definitive, lest he establish the US as head of the operation and preempt the UN.

Seems pretty wise to me. Barack Obama anyone?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Your post reveals a significant lack of education on this subject. Obama actually did NOT promise to end both wars. As a candidate, he repeatedly promised to end the Iraq war, which he did, and to escalate the Afghanistan war, which he also did. Strange to have a strong leader in charge of wars, I know. But, there he is - your Commander in Chief steady at the healm!

The rest is just your own Kool Aid intoxication. Imagine - if your post can be so uninformed on this very obvious topic, how many other of your opinions are based on false assumptions...
Wow...I can't believe you just stuck your foot in your mouth twice in the same post.

1) Barack Obama did not end the Iraq war. Ever heard of the Status of Forces Agreement? Guess who signed it? None other than George W. Bush. The framework was in place before BO came into office. Just because he stepped up the timeline does not mean he is the inventor of the strategy. It simply means the combat troops came home a little earlier than planned. And in case you didn't know it, there are still 50,000 troops in Iraq.

2) That you would lambast someone for being "so uninformed on this very obvious topic" while getting it wrong yourself is DOWNRIGHT EMBARRASSING FOR YOU.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:55 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Hillary Clinton is worn out. She's led a tough life for a woman for the past 10 years or so. Running for the Senate, serving in the Senate, running a grueling, exhausting Presidential campaign, traveling the world nonstop for the past two years. Who has the stamina for that? The woman is tired.

I think she and Obama get along just fine. I actually think she likes him, and he likes her.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:00 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The superior intelligence and subtlty of Obama wins out in this case. He is forcing the international community to make a decision - which they did today - rather than make the mistake Bush did of asserting the US as the lead nation and then be stuck with the bill and the majority of deaths to oust yet another dictator and rebuild yet another nation.

How many more countries you want us to build before our own?

As for Clinton - this desire to not be involved in public life anymore is nothing new. You all are just looking for an angle for yet another baseless attack.
Brilliant, so how many got assasinated during this long time he was waiting to hatch this plan?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,604 times
Let the French and Italians send their troops in.

The last thing a BROKE Uncle Sam needs is another war. Wake up America! We ARE BROKE. BRING ALL THE TROOPS HOME!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
WE should've just went in guns BLAZIN!!!! Who cares for THOUGHT.. WE ARE MONKEYS WITH GUNS!!!

PEW! PEW! PEW!

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/080/977/original/pew_pew.gif?1288903817 (broken link)

Old 03-18-2011, 01:59 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
^^^ This is so wrong on many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies