Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,323,997 times

Advertisements

It's all a conspiracy by the leftists. The reactors are fine. No need to worry. Radiation is harmless.

From druggie Limbaugh to college drop out Hannity, these great minds are claiming that the stories about the nuclear reactors are overblown.

AFP: Media exaggerates Japan disaster, US radio host says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,062,439 times
I suspect the truth lay somewhere in between the media "hype" and the countering downplay. To suggest that the MSM does not sensationalize would be as intellectually dishonest as the hyperbole that "radiation is harmless". Unless you are there and privy to Japanese government information you really do not know the extent of the radiation spread, IMO. YMMV.

Shame on you for trying to capitalize upon this for political points in this forum. Bad form, really bad form.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,031,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
It's all a conspiracy by the leftists. The reactors are fine. No need to worry. Radiation is harmless.

From druggie Limbaugh to college drop out Hannity, these great minds are claiming that the stories about the nuclear reactors are overblown.

AFP: Media exaggerates Japan disaster, US radio host says
All mainstream American media outlets are engaged in mis (and/or dis)information, even your beloved Alternet, MM, and Huffy

Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I suspect the truth lay somewhere in between the media "hype" and the countering downplay. To suggest that the MSM does not sensationalize would be as intellectually dishonest as the hyperbole that "radiation is harmless". Unless you are there and privy to Japanese government information you really do not know the extent of the radiation spread, IMO. YMMV.
I'll take my chances with CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, AP, BBC, over some partisan talk show host. Besides, I don't need CNN to realize that a nuclear meltdown is extremely bad.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,496,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'll take my chances with CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, AP, BBC, over some partisan talk show host. Besides, I don't need CNN to realize that a nuclear meltdown is extremely bad.
Cuz the MSM ain't partisan!

Reading a lot of articles on this topic, there are obviously several sides to this. Silly to try to score political points.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,031,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Only Fox News and WND are partisan the rest are unbiased and honest

Old 03-17-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

Reading a lot of articles on this topic, there are obviously several sides to this. Silly to try to score political points.
I see two sides. The mainstream international media, which is controlled by Communists is misleading the entire world. Rush Limbaugh and Fox News are the only media outlets telling the truth, that radiation is harmless and it's all lies. Japan is fine.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,678,770 times
Well, imho, it is exactly the opposite. The situation is much, much worse than our government wants anyone to know.

My son said he heard on radio in Chicago today people arriving in US from Japan are setting off radiation detectors at the airports in the U.S.

Even Rachel Maddow on MSNBC tonight was trying to down play the danger and play up the positives - such as Japan might have been successful in establishing electricity to Reactor 3 which would allow them to pump water. Still no firm confirmation on that, however, anywhere that I can find.

This is a nuclear holocaust, plain and simple. Right out of the movies. It could hardly be worse other than if all four plants blow up.

Certain areas of Japan are completely isolated - people now without food and water. 10,000 people are missing in one area alone. Death toll from the tsunami is probably close to 500,000 at least.

They have no clue at this point. Think of the movie 2012. It's about that bad for the Japanese.

And death toll from radiation - well you can write off all the plant workers who go in and out in 15 minute shifts.

It is a calamitous disaster of epic proportions. There is no way to overestimate this.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-18-2011 at 12:04 AM..

Old 03-18-2011, 12:24 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,062,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
...........It is a calamitous disaster of epic proportions. There is no way to overestimate this.
Tell that to the idiots on the US West coast who are downing potassium iodide pills! Oh wait, it is that kind of thinking that leads people thousands of miles from the reactors to down those pills in the first place.

I've listened to the radio talkshow hosts the OP's linked addressed. They have not suggested that this disaster is anything less than catostrophic nor have they suggested that the radiation is not dangerous to the people in Japan. They are not attempting to incite panic either via over sensationalism.

This is a really pathetic troll thread exploiting a tragedy, nothing more. Dishonest to the core and really bad form.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,254,387 times
I wouldn't call it a conspiracy but news media is no longer news, it's entertainment. They are going to push this story with as much gloom and doom as possible because that is what sells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies