Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:30 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
There goes the republican vote,...
LOL I assume you have stats for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 05:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As for not allowing the "recipient class" a vote, that would mean denying the vote to all high level executives of corporations bailed out by the US government or even the high level executives of corporations who primarily do business with the government like Halliburton and Bechtel.
I'm certainly not against that Why do you assume that us conservatives supporting this, will support welfare for the rich?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:42 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, they should not be allowed to vote. If they contribute nothing to society, they should have no right to have a say in who is running said society. I also think that these people are also quite misinformed/not informed at all, so they really should not be voting anyway.

I would rather a productive felon be given his right to vote as opposed to some breeder who has no clue about politics but yet wants to keep dinner on the table and will vote Democrat just for that fact.
Exactly what do consider contributing nothing to society. And how do you get from there to being uninformed. Did you know that "contributing to society" is not a prerequisite for being informed?? To be informed, one need only a desire to know and a means to access the information that they want to know. Being "productive" (whatever you mean by that) is a bit more complex, or did not not even give that any thought?

People who think like you should stop looking down their noses at those who may not have accomplished what you may have accomplished long enough to gain some understanding of the fact that not everyone who is not like you is a lazy slob waiting for a government check. Who the hell are you to be deciding who should and should not vote? Who died and made you queen?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
Exactly what do consider contributing nothing to society. And how do you get from there to being uninformed. Did you know that "contributing to society" is not a prerequisite for being informed?? To be informed, one need only a desire to know and a means to access the information that they want to know. Being "productive" (whatever you mean by that) is a bit more complex, or did not not even give that any thought?

People who think like you should stop looking down their noses at those who may not have accomplished what you may have accomplished long enough to gain some understanding of the fact that not everyone who is not like you is a lazy slob waiting for a government check. Who the hell are you to be deciding who should and should not vote? Who died and made you queen?
Anyone I know who is on welfare and does not pay taxes also doesn't know jack about politics. These people ARE lazy slobs just waiting for a gov't check. That is the definition of not contributing to society.

Not looking down my nose at anyone. I just want people to pull their own weight and stop expecting handouts. I was simply giving my opinion, as I am entitled, just like you and everyone else in this thread, so stop talking down to me. Talk about looking down one's nose.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:57 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My definition of recipient class.

Never had a job.

Lived on the dole your entire life.
Well then those "trust fund babies" who live on income from Big Oil, which is subsidized by our government, would be considered members of the "recipient class" and certainly could not vote.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Anyone I know who is on welfare and does not pay taxes also doesn't know jack about politics. These people ARE lazy slobs just waiting for a gov't check. That is the definition of not contributing to society.

Not looking down my nose at anyone. I just want people to pull their own weight and stop expecting handouts. I was simply giving my opinion, as I am entitled, just like you and everyone else in this thread, so stop talking down to me. Talk about looking down one's nose.
I've think we've been through this before.

I filed for UI last a week or so go, can't recall the date, really. I used my first check to get some of the most delightful bubble bath ever..."Creamy Chocolate Cupcake", it was called. They even make hair conditioner. It's great...gonna keep voting in those dems 'cause this gravy train is the best gig I've ever had

Old 03-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:

How about the long-term unemployed or underemployed...are they contributing to society? They don't have jobs. Certainly you would throw them into the same bag, yes?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
How about the long-term unemployed or underemployed...are they contributing to society? They don't have jobs. Certainly you would throw them into the same bag, yes?
Yes, I would put them in the same bag if they are not willing to work and are happy to just take UE for the long-term. Those who use it as a temporary hand UP, no. I can differentiate between those who need a little help when down versus those who are habitual offenders and will never fully support themselves.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, I would put them in the same bag if they are not willing to work and are happy to just take UE for the long-term. Those who use it as a temporary hand UP, no. I can differentiate between those who need a little help when down versus those who are habitual offenders and will never fully support themselves.
....and those who don't work but don't get a check from government or use the healthcare system... do they get to vote? These people have dropped off the grid completely and don't ask anything from anyone. Do you propose taking away their right to vote as well?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Is there long term unemployment? I've been wondering how long I can milk this thing for. And don't say I'm not contributing to society; I'm spending my UI bucks up a storm on E-Bay and keeping money circulating in the economy. Besides, I smell yummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies