Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What are your plans, exactly, for "one way," and "the other?" I want to know how you intend to "change it."

My girlfriend and I were tired of working jobs that paid marginal wages, and we identified that the only way to really get ahead of the game was to work for ourselves, so we took the risks involved with starting our own business. We opened it about two months before the economy took a nose dive in '08, yet we've been successful thus far. As the economy picks up, we're poised to do very well with it.

We're climbing up the ladder, and we're doing it through hard work, a big investment of time and dedication, and being good at what we do. That's how you're supposed to do it. I don't know what your plans are (I'll be watching for your answer to the question above), but I'm going to guess that earning the "change" you're talking about isn't one of them.
Good work.....

The only way to make yourself money is to stop making it for others!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:06 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
"Barack Obama and Ben Bernanke keep touting an "economic recovery", but the truth is that the only ones that seem to be benefiting from this recovery are those at the very top of the economic food chain."

---------

During the "Great Depression" during the 1930's, the uber-wealthy did not even know there was a depression until they read about it in the papers. Not everyone is affected by govt meddling. Some of us will survive regardless who is sitting in Washington.
There were also more millionaires made during the depression than any other time up to the 90's. Lot of opportunities for people who knew how to play the game.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:42 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
From the article:

But according to the Reps that's not the real problem. Oh no. Companies that grant large bonuses to the top while handing out pay cuts for everyone else are never the problem. The real problem is the local second grade teacher and her 60k salary.

Yeah.

Don't forget about her "lavish" vacation that "we" have to fund.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
The division between those that pay income tax and those that pay the payroll tax is academic and artificial. The middle class is going away and becoming the working poor. As far as politics goes, their is the moneyed few and then there is the rest of us divided in half between dem and repub. You've bought "their" line.

47 million people not pulling their weight.. not paying any income taxes... and you call that "academic" ???????

I call that a travesty.

We need to get those 47 million people working and paying income taxes.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
It's not what other people make, but how they make it. Those in the government and in bed with them are disgusting human beings.

Its not jealousy but disgust.
Jealousy would mean that I want to live their deceitful crooked lives.

So I guess you must be jealous of pedophiles if you hold disgust against them?

Please help me understand what a pedophile has to do with people making more money than you.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
It's not what other people make, but how they make it. Those in the government and in bed with them are disgusting human beings.

I agree. Your buddy Obama should never have bailed out his buddies at GM.

It's disgusting!!!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
As long as the second grade teacher keeps churning out students that can't earn more than minimum wage, she IS parrt of the problem.
Especially since I can choose NOT to buy the corporation's products. I can't choose to not pay my local property tax of $13,600 unless I walk away from the home that represents a lifetime of savings and payments to principal.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
47 million people not pulling their weight.. not paying any income taxes... and you call that "academic" ???????

I call that a travesty.

We need to get those 47 million people working and paying income taxes.
I agree we need to create jobs for anyone who wants one (and maybe some who don't ) but many of those 47 million are already working, but either don't make enough money or have family expenses qualifying them for earned income tax credit.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:17 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why do you care what other people make?
Quote:
We do care and intend to change it one way or the other.

If you don't like it, then tough!

The gravy train for the parasites at the top stops now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What are your plans, exactly, for "one way," and "the other?" I want to know how you intend to "change it."
Quote:
The changes I speak of would benefit small business but would be detrimental to any corporate or investment firm that has political connections and donates funds to any politician which is against the free market. We have no true free market right now. While it is almost impossible to have a "truly free market" anyhow, cutting the umbilical cord between OUR government, big business and wall street is the first step
You didn't really answer the question. Your statement verged on a threat.

So let's hear it - if the government doesn't bend to your will and make the legislative changes you seek, which is unlikely when you consider the source of the money in Washington, what will you do? If that's your "one way," what's "the other?"

Old 03-25-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I agree we need to create jobs for anyone who wants one (and maybe some who don't ) but many of those 47 million are already working, but either don't make enough money or have family expenses qualifying them for earned income tax credit.

Here is how a family of four making $50k pays no taxes;

"Here's how they did it, according to Deloitte Tax:

The family was entitled to a standard deduction of $11,400 and four personal exemptions of $3,650 apiece, leaving a taxable income of $24,000. The federal income tax on $24,000 is $2,769.

With two children younger than 17, the family qualified for two $1,000 child tax credits. Its Making Work Pay credit was $800 because the parents were married filing jointly.

The $2,800 in credits exceeds the $2,769 in taxes, so the family makes a $31 profit from the federal income tax."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies