Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 PM

561 posts, read 505,911 times

Advertisements

The level of education in America has been falling for the past 20 years.

Note from the graph that the countries that are gaining and surpassing the U.S. are achieving increases in the average education level.

Most of our social and economic problems would be greatly improved if we focused more on education. I don't mean spend more money. I mean do more to encourage advanced education and do more to make it possible.

Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
No I don't. Let's see a chart with average educational achievement in the U.S. Now vs 1980. I bet it would show a higher educational level for U.S. Citizens. unfortunately we can do nothing to keep other countries from increasing theirs. Also lacking is the unemployment rate among U.S. College graduates. It is no doubt much higher today.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
We have abdication of our kids by parents who don't value education IMO.
Every student needs to be taught by their parents to come to school:
Ready, willing and able to learn; to sit still, be quiet unless spoken to, take notes, participate and to respect the class, themselves and their teachers.

We do not have students, we have problem kids going to schools.

Won't be cured by throwing money down a black hole in the name of education.
Vouchers could help.
Making parents liable for poorly behaved children would help. Make parents take classes on parenting. If they are residents and not citizens, threaten to throw them out of the country if they don't care for their kids.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
Do you agree?
I think you're misinterpreting the pie charts.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
"The state of Portuguese education says a lot about why a rescue is likely to be needed, and why one would be costly and difficult. Put simply, Portugal must generate enough long-term economic growth to pay off its large debts. An unskilled work force makes that hard."

Weak Educational System Hobbles Portugal - WSJ.com

Weak education means that long term growth is going to stutter and fail, affecting everyone.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:00 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
No I don't. Let's see a chart with average educational achievement in the U.S. Now vs 1980. I bet it would show a higher educational level for U.S. Citizens. unfortunately we can do nothing to keep other countries from increasing theirs. Also lacking is the unemployment rate among U.S. College graduates. It is no doubt much higher today.

you want to prevent people in other countries from being able to obtain an education?

i wonder what planet some of you are from

Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Your chart is useless. Just by having a faster growing population with the same pct achieving degrees, you percent goes up.

Yes, education is good. That's like saying mothers and apple pie are good.

Useless post.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Ready, willing and able to learn; to sit still, be quiet unless spoken to, take notes, participate and to respect the class, themselves and their teachers.

Vouchers could help.
Making parents liable for poorly behaved children would help. Make parents take classes on parenting. If they are residents and not citizens, threaten to throw them out of the country if they don't care for their kids.

You know your last points are accurate, i don't care if parents agree with this or not. I know a lot of teachers. Today so many parents don't enforce rules at home, children at home who misbehave also do at school, no respect at home, no respect at school. problems at home, problems at school, but ohhhhhhhhh my parents cannot seem to understand why blame the school, the teacher, never see themselves as the problem. I know too many cases like this.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:16 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Sorry, but a person who is supposed to be very highly educated is completely ruining this country...

Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

Vouchers could help.
I agree, and teaching the teachers how to teach wouldn't be such a bad idea either ... wouldn't you say?

And further .. Compare the education from the 60's-70's to that of today, and you'll find that todays public education system is pumping out some pretty stupid kids .. just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies