Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:04 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times

Advertisements

This from the Associated Press. Finally, after hearing so many people scream and yell, blaming teachers, schools, the government, liberals, etc. for the nation's education problems.

Adults Blame Parents For Education Problems : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131988387 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 07:05 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
From talking to a few teachers recently I'd agree.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
As a head room Mother for both of my kids and spending a ton of time at school I agree.

Knowing almost every single kid at our school in my kids grades I can tell you first hand that the kids who do not do well have lazy parents who wont even return a call or sign the kids planners every night.

The kids who have parents behind them and push them to learn, give them a positive word of encouragement always are the straight A students and act like decent kids.

Most of the kids who get poor grades do not even act properly. They are usually aggressive, non caring, selfish kids who of course have been taught this by their parents at home.

Your kids education is in your hands, you must teach them at home before you can expect them to learn at school.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:19 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
This from the Associated Press. Finally, after hearing so many people scream and yell, blaming teachers, schools, the government, liberals, etc. for the nation's education problems.

Adults Blame Parents For Education Problems : NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131988387 - broken link)
It's parent's that set the tone in terms of how much a child values education. How much support a child gets at home to be successful in the classroom is determined by the parents.

Show me a parent or parents that instill a respect for education and teachers and makes every effort to make sure their kid is successful in the classroom and I'll show you a kid that does well in school.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:28 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
From talking to a few teachers recently I'd agree.
Forget recently. Try attending PTA meetings the past 20yrs. The bickering and ignorance is incredulous. These are parents requiring supervision from teachers... nuts x10. So perhaps now some understand better why so many conservatives feel frustrated by public schools when there's no meaningful way to go about making people accountable for themselves or their own kids. Even classroom disruptions aren't getting dealt with appropriately. You could do everything right but what does that mean in columbine? It's not so different from poorer neighborhoods frustrated when their own kids are subject to drug/gang violence.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's parent's that set the tone in terms of how much a child values education. How much support a child gets at home to be successful in the classroom is determined by the parents.

Show me a parent or parents that instill a respect for education and teachers and makes every effort to make sure their kid is successful in the classroom and I'll show you a kid that does well in school.
Well, this is where liberals and I parted company many moons ago. That's all well and good, but if parents that came from dysfunctional culture don't see themselves as the responsible party to END that cycle, it passes for normal into the next generation and oftentimes compounds. That is to say, they perfect dysfunction & call it culture. They don't see themselves as robbing their children of anything. Their own lack of self respect gets passed onto their children.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:39 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Public schools have become nothing but daycare for many idiotic parents and their offspring.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:48 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
There is enough blame to go around, but I agree. The education of our children starts at home with the parents. Parents who place a high value on education will have more successful students, regardless of race or socioeconomic status. It just so happens that some races tend to place a higher value on education than others, and for others still, it has become cultural over generations of not taking education seriously. Asians, as a group, tend to place a very high value on the education of their kids, and their test scores reflect this. Perhaps parents across America are the ones in need of some 'schooling'.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM

952 posts, read 942,878 times
I can't blame my parents---as they were not well educated themselves, and struggled mightily, raising 6 kids.

I'm grateful to many of my teachers and coaches for their assistance, dedication, and encouragement.

However, the public school system today, is different than when I graduated in the '60s

...the 1860s

it feels like

Old 12-12-2010, 08:12 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Well, this is where liberals and I parted company many moons ago. That's all well and good, but if parents that came from dysfunctional culture don't see themselves as the responsible party to END that cycle, it passes for normal into the next generation and oftentimes compounds. That is to say, they perfect dysfunction & call it culture. They don't see themselves as robbing their children of anything. Their own lack of self respect gets passed onto their children.
This was a rare, honest discussion going on,... Please keep in mind the most uneducated and poorest people are in the white rural south. They have pushed to change books because they don't agree with the views of the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies