Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:56 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,547,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, baloney! Education can only enhance creativity!
That's right. The engineers who are running our hospital's renovation have great creativity. They've designed some creative things that only work on paper but not in reality. Classroom education is fine but there's nothing like real world hands on experience to educate a person. Truly wish more engineers would spend a year or two working as a building mechanic before designing a building. If I could teach engineers one lesson it would be "function first, style second". They all seem to get it backwards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:05 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,923 times
Quote:
I must have hit some nerves. At least three people quoted me, and one called me a snob. I wish at least one of you would tell me how you would make this decision, of who should and who should not attend college.

Anyone?

When I went to school grades actually played a part in the decision. If you got good grades you got a scholarship. That may be tough now with the left wanting to change everything to a pass fail system. Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
When I went to school grades actually played a part in the decision. If you got good grades you got a scholarship. That may be tough now with the left wanting to change everything to a pass fail system. Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
I wish grades were the only way colleges judged a student. Today they judge them on race and activities they participate in outside the classroom. Some good students are turned down because of lack of activities or they're a certain race (like Asian for example).

Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
My parents let me do what I wanted with my life. The point I'm making is college isn't for everyone, but some kids still go regardless when they shouldn't be there.

This is how you decide who and who shouldn't go to college.

Son: "Mom, I don't want to go to college. I want to be an electrician"
Mom: "Oh ok"
Here are some job opportunities at the CATO Institute. You can infer from these jobs that they all require college. Nice of them to tell everyone else not to go, but they're looking for college grads themselves.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-26-2011 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 03-26-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the parenting advice. It's too late. Both of my daughters wanted to go to college. Such a waste. They should have forgone the college and just worked at Mc Donald's for 50 years after high school graduation.

Here are some job opportunities at the CATO Institute. You can infer from these jobs that they all require college. Nice of them to tell everyone else not to go, but they're looking for college grads themselves.
Wow, another snob. Vocation school does not mean working at McDonalds. A college degree does not mean they won't be working at McDonalds, just ask some liberal arts majors.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wow, another snob. Vocation school does not mean working at McDonalds. A college degree does not mean they won't be working at McDonalds, just ask some liberal arts majors.
Having been in the workforce myself for 40 years, DH for 30 years (he went to (gasp!) grad school, and my kids, nieces and nephews in the work force the past few years, I do not need a little lecture from you about the vagaries of the job market.

Let me give you a little anecdote: When DH first started working in late 1980, there was a recession going on. When it came time for layoffs, he was kept on, even though he was one of the later hires, b/c he had a PhD. So you guys (not just you Dave) can poo-poo education all you want, but when push comes to shove, it often helps to have that degree. It's not that the work he was doing was so "brainy", some of the people in his group hadn't even finished college.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times
Quote:

Big lie. They never told everyone else not to go to college.

At least attempt to post some facts.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:56 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,923 times
Quote:
Having been in the workforce myself for 40 years, DH for 30 years (he went to (gasp!) grad school, and my kids, nieces and nephews in the work force the past few years, I do not need a little lecture from you about the vagaries of the job market.

Let me give you a little anecdote: When DH first started working in late 1980, there was a recession going on. When it came time for layoffs, he was kept on, even though he was one of the later hires, b/c he had a PhD. So you guys (not just you Dave) can poo-poo education all you want, but when push comes to shove, it often helps to have that degree. It's not that the work he was doing was so "brainy", some of the people in his group hadn't even finished college.

No one said education was bad. It was stated it is not for everyone. He11 in Oregon they want to pass a law that it's illegal to ask someone their educational level.

That would be earth shattering to those that continually post their educational level on the forum assuming others are uneducated and their opinions have less validity.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 PM

570 posts, read 882,979 times
Quote:
Oh, baloney! Education can only enhance creativity!

this is the most incorrect statement I've ever read

I would explain why, but it is self-explanatory to anyone who went to school

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-26-2011 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:

First off, if your husband started working in the late 1980s then he hasn't been working 30 years. Secondly, I was not saying people should not get an education. I was saying some people's remarks, like the one you deleted from your post, shows a snobbishness or elitist attitude towards those who do not have a college education. There are plenty of good paying careers for those who do not wish to attend college or are unable to attend. To completely ignore trade school in your child's list of potential opportunities for continuing their education after high school is to do a disservice to your child as a parent. To display your elitist attitude regarding trade school jobs is to teach your children to be bad human beings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies