Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
But "marriage" would have a different meaning.
marriage already has different meanings.

in the furniture industry marriage is the same fabric on the same couch...no changing please
marriage in the restaurant biz is when ya go from table to table and fill the half full ketchup bottles, salts and peppers

the word itself is not scared. the "meaning" of the word to many people doesn't always bring to mind, god's blessings of a union of man/woman who have sex to make babies.

got to go...my pepper pot is low

Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
How is the definition of YOUR marriage changed?

Do you not already define your marriage by your personal convictions? Or does someone else define your marriage for you? I know that neither my husband nor I would have allowed anyone outside the marriage itself to define for us what that marriage meant.
I am "married". Change the meaning of the word "married", and what I "am" changes.
Quote:
MY "godlessness"? Cal, you know better than that.

If you think my religion is affecting me, then I guess your lack of affects how you think?
Quote:

Just because our beliefs are not identical does not make me any less a Christian than you are.
I honestly don't know what you believe. I don't know many Christians though, that think homosexuality is moral. Perhaps I'm making assumptions--but that seems to be what you're doing.
Quote:
And, yes, you are correct in that religious freedom is a large part of the foundation of this country. But that includes ALL religions, not just our own. And that is a large part of why you and I and the Muslim down the street and the Jew across town and the pagan and atheist across the country (and anyone of any other religious conviction) don't get to define our laws by our religious beliefs.
OK? What religion are we restricting by disallowing gay marriage?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I am "married". Change the meaning of the word "married", and what I "am" changes.

If you think my religion is affecting me, then I guess your lack of affects how you think?

I honestly don't know what you believe. I don't know many Christians though, that think homosexuality is moral. Perhaps I'm making assumptions--but that seems to be what you're doing.

OK? What religion are we restricting by disallowing gay marriage?
Making gay marriage does not change the word married or marriage, it only adds to it, big deal, it has been done before and will be done again. My Mom was a devout Catholic and she did not see being gay as not moral. The poster you are now saying has a lack of religion, is religious and believes in her beliefs. Yours do not trump hers or those of others. The Unitarian Church wants to perform gay marriages, they are restricted because of the presence of the defense of straight marriage act forbidding any sort of union that resembles that of the oh so sacred union of straight couples. DOMA directly excludes gay people from accessing what should be their due rights because of the supposed and unproven threat to straight marriage. It does nothing to stop the rampant divorce rate that is eroding the family structure of the U S A. It does not protect the gay marriages that already exist or their families, if anything it imposes restrictions on what benefits those families are eligible for and that makes them second class families.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Christians go by the Bible. The Bible is clear on homosexuality. So why do all the haters here continue to smear people who follow God's book?

Are they just incapable of understanding?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Christians go by the Bible. The Bible is clear on homosexuality. So why do all the haters here continue to smear people who follow God's book?

Christians can go by whatever they want. Doesn't matter in America because... oh look, America is not a theocracy.

As stated previously, anyone who wishes to insert religion into a political discussion regarding America is practicing intellectual dishonesty. Or are they just incapable of understanding?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:43 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post

Care to explain what Christianity (or any religion) has to do with law in the US?

Should atheists and agnostics also not be allowed to be legally married?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:55 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Care to explain what Christianity (or any religion) has to do with law in the US?

Should atheists and agnostics also not be allowed to be legally married?
So far, the reasonings have been:

1) We should abolish all marriage instead (sour grapes)

2) My religious beliefs say no (Congrats, we aren't a theocracy)

3) They're icky and should stay out of view (And I feel the same about 300lb persons. So what?)

4) There's no discrimination as everyone can marry someone of the opposite gender. (Intellectual dishonesty)

5) We can't redefine marriage (Merriam-Webster and Oxford dictionaries say otherwise)

6) Same-sex couples are killed in muslim countries (So we're comparing America to countries who kill, murder, and maim anything they don't like...?)

7) Beastiality is next! (Since animals can't sign contracts, this is no good...)

8) 70-year old grandmas and their 10 year old boyfriends are next (Age of consent... can't sign contracts, this is no good...)

9) Polygamy is next! (As long as they're consenting adults, who cares?)

10) They can get everything with a POA (Nope. They can't.)

11) They can't have children through "normal" means (Yet sterile hetero couples are fine.)

Any others?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There are many, many hetero couples who get married by a justice of the peace for civil reasons and later get married in a church for religious ones. There are even more who get married in church for religious and civil reasons. The church wedding is the gold standard and marriage as a religious institution has much more prominence than marriage as a civil construct. That is the way it is. It is disingenuous at best and outright dishonest at worst for gays that want a Christian marriage to say that they simply want parity on civil grounds. They already do. Civil Unions no longer raise eyebrows anywhere in the United States. I know gay couples that have taken care of their civil protections quite well with the tools already provided in every state of the Union.

When that is not enough it is a sure sign that the gay couple involved want a wedding and the pomp and ceremony and the husband/husband or wife/wife perversion of the Holy Institution of Marriage. I haven't heard a convincing argument for why after thousands of years of sustaining the institution of marriage as a mainly religious construct that religious people should offer the social significance of the act to individuals who cannot ever hope to meet the basic requirements for marriage as it exists.

Why is that so hard to understand? Really. Why? If you worked your a@@ off and paid a couple hundred grand to become a medical doctor you might be angry as all get out if the AMA started recognizing medical degrees from abroad by individuals who offered absolutely no proof whatsoever of being qualified doctors i.e. a satisfactory score on American State Boards. Their medical boards would say "get over yourselves", "stop being protectionist", "you're making plenty of money in your fancy practice, why do you care if Indian, Chinese or Japanese doctors come over and start practices without any certification". What you won't see or hear is qualified American doctors arguing for the relaxation of standards to allow the inclusion of unvetted individuals. Its a pride thing.

H
For most of those thousands of years the woman was property of her husband. For most of those thousands a years it was legal for a man to be able to beat his wife. That is actually the tradition of marriage. The whole equal partnership thing is a relatively new concept, so the definition of marriage has already changed.

If a particular church or religious institution does not want to grant a gay marriage, they shouldn't have to, but that shouldn't stop a couple from receiving a civil marriage.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What is the next perverted rationale from some of you folks, that the out of wedlock rates and increasing numbers of children being by single mothers in some of our inner city communities is not a concern for our society?
That is a bit of a problem. One thing I do find interesting in the discussion with the whole marriage issue, is divorce. And guess where the lowest divorce rate in the U.S is?? Hint, its some liberal blue state in the northeast that was the first to grant Gay Marriage.....

Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Couldn't rep you again, but I think that's all of 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
So far, the reasonings have been:

1) We should abolish all marriage instead (sour grapes)

2) My religious beliefs say no (Congrats, we aren't a theocracy)

3) They're icky and should stay out of view (And I feel the same about 300lb persons. So what?)

4) There's no discrimination as everyone can marry someone of the opposite gender. (Intellectual dishonesty)

5) We can't redefine marriage (Merriam-Webster and Oxford dictionaries say otherwise)

6) Same-sex couples are killed in muslim countries (So we're comparing America to countries who kill, murder, and maim anything they don't like...?)

7) Beastiality is next! (Since animals can't sign contracts, this is no good...)

8) 70-year old grandmas and their 10 year old boyfriends are next (Age of consent... can't sign contracts, this is no good...)

9) Polygamy is next! (As long as they're consenting adults, who cares?)

10) They can get everything with a POA (Nope. They can't.)

11) They can't have children through "normal" means (Yet sterile hetero couples are fine.)

Any others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies