Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Lib vs con support of Libian War
I liberal and I oppose intervention in Lybia 6 31.58%
I'm liberal and support our intervention in Lybia 2 10.53%
I'm conservative and oppose intervention in Lybia 11 57.89%
I'm conservative and support intervention in Lybia 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

It has been interesting to observe the reactions of various groups with regard to the Libya War. Lets not pretend it's a "no-fly-zone", we have been attacking Gadaffi's ground forces, clearly this is an act of war and an effort to overthrow the existing regime.

We have liberals supporting this war, because Gaddafi is slaughering innocent rebels. And we have Liberals opposing intervention because it's, well, war and war is bad.

We have conservatives that support this war, because it's in some way in our interest to do so. It helps "spread democracy" in the ME. We have other conservatives who opposes this war becasue it's not worth American lives or taxpayer money.

So, where do you "fit" and why? And for those that don't fit completely in either the Lib vs Con camp, please select the one you most identify with.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 03-27-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 11:06 AM

I am more libertarian with a conservative bent on fiscal issues. I regard our involvement in Lybia as a waste of American taxpayers money and (probably, eventually) of American lives. I predict that no matter who comes out in power, when all is said and done we'll be blamed for interefering in the internal issues of another country, and blamed for the loss of lives.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
You left out two choices:

I'm a liberal and don't care about our intervention in Lybia
I'm a conservative and don't care about our intervention in Lybia

BTW, it's overthrow not overthrough

Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
It's also Libya not "Lybia"

Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the spelling suggestions. I need to learn to proof read.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:27 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
There is a wave of democratic protest sweeping the Middle East and northern Africa - rebelling against tinpot dictators, military rule and kings. America should be on the right side of history. Inaction is a decision. Letting Quaddfi win would weaken and threaten protest movements in other Arab states. Foreign powers didn't intervene in Egypt and Tunisia because they didn't have to but Quadaffi was on the verge of overrunning the remaining rebel towns.
I don't know why they don't come out and say it but IMHO the objective is to support the protesters and defeat Quadaffi & other tyrants without getting into an Iraqi type quagmire with boots on the ground. Lob some bombs to help them out. That's possible in Libya because there is a defined battle line - it's a battle for towns separated by desert. Tunisia & Egypt were civil uprising in urban areas with no clear separation of opposing forces. I believe it's in the West's interests to support democratic movements in the Arab world and not support dictators and oppressors out of a fear of Muslim fundamentalism. Conservatives were on board with this view (The Palin Doctrine!) until Obama took action.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:31 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
I'm a conservative against Libyan intervention for many reasons. #1 on my list is that the Libyan rebels are associated with Al-Qaeda.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:34 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default Liberal vs Conservative Support for Lybia War

I'm neither liberal nor conservative. I oppose our involvement and want to see it ended ASAP. I understand why we got mixed up in this, but I don't see a clear path to ending our mission. Seems to me the Arab nations should be playing a much bigger role in this than what they've been willing to up til now.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:37 AM

146 posts, read 225,283 times
It's a bit mercurial (as most of these things are), but I most closely fit in the "liberal who supports this effort" category.

I won't even attempt to lie - all other things aside, I simply have far more confidence in left-leaning politicians to use our military power responsibly and within the context of international law, as opposed to those on the right. I think our involvement in this situation will be short, measured, and will not yet again draw the ire of the international community.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I am more libertarian with a conservative bent on fiscal issues. I regard our involvement in Lybia as a waste of American taxpayers money and (probably, eventually) of American lives. I predict that no matter who comes out in power, when all is said and done we'll be blamed for interefering in the internal issues of another country, and blamed for the loss of lives.
This is where I'm at as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies