Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:00 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,979,415 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know who the rebels are in Libya .... do they have a leader?

It appears like a helter skelter group without much leadership. I was just wondering who France, England, USA and now NATO have communicated with regarding this rebellion.

If Qaddafi is removed who takes over Libya? Friend or foe for the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,293,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Does anyone know who the rebels are in Libya .... do they have a leader?

It appears like a helter skelter group without much leadership. I was just wondering who France, England, USA and now NATO have communicated with regarding this rebellion.

If Qaddafi is removed who takes over Libya? Friend or foe for the US?

It seems we are doing the fighting for Al Qaeda. SURPRISE!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Of course nobody knows. That's been the problem all along.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,979,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
It seems we are doing the fighting for Al Qaeda. SURPRISE!

I was starting to think that too.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:24 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,910,380 times
Quote:
Libyan rebels' ragtag army has al Qaeda links though lacks basic training - International Business Times

Old 03-27-2011, 10:34 PM

45,256 posts, read 26,510,497 times
It's almost two weeks after we attacked Libya and still little is known about the rebels... well outside the fact that they have ties to Al Qaeda
If we hadn't intervened, I wonder if this whole mess would be over already?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
That os one question no media seem to have any real idea about. Its much like the iranan revoltio as of now and we got a nasty surprise in that one.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,480,646 times
Quote:
The thing is, we (including Obama) knew about al Qaeda support and sympathizers in Lybia long before the UN resolution and our involvement.

Quote:
“It's right now not something that we see in the offing, but many of the al-Qaeda activists in Afghanistan and later in Iraq came from Libya and came from eastern Libya, which is now the so-called free area of Libya,” she noted.

Source (dated March 2, 2011): Clinton's Biggest Fear: Al Qaeda Rising In Libya
These are the people Obama wants controlling Libya.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,830,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It's almost two weeks after we attacked Libya and still little is known about the rebels... well outside the fact that they have ties to Al Qaeda
If we hadn't intervened, I wonder if this whole mess would be over already?
It seems like things were calming down until we got involved.

I would rather see the long time "strong man" dictators stay in power than help the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt or al-Qaeda in Libya. We are on the side of the worse of two evils.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,799,669 times
Things weren't calming down. This isn't just Libya. Al-qaeda is an opportunist glomming onto a cause for credibility in Muslim eyes and the best the world can do is hope this hard won freedom they're striving for is enough incentive for them to take Al-qaeda with a pillar of salt. Same for syria and iran. When there's so much double dealing and triple dealing and quadruple dealing going on, I don't think many Muslims have any confidence in any leadership throughout the region. I'd say that's the biggest reason why they see little reason for formal organization. The moment they try to build it, it's likely to be co-opted by foreign interest or infiltrated by loyalists. The foreign interests are there by invitation, courtesy of Gadaffi: Gadhafi Loyalists Stop Migrants From Leaving Libya
Quote:
Osman, who heads the agency's assessment teams in northern Africa, said Gadhafi soldiers were forcibly returning many of the 30,000 Bangladeshis, Egyptians and sub-Saharan Africans nearing the Ras Ajdir border crossing.

He said loyalists had held a pro-government demonstration at the crossing, and later that evening the "30,000 (migrant workers) accumulated at the Libyan border, waiting to cross."

And the Libyan government denies any knowledge of "a humanitarian crisis?" he said. "And then in the evening, those 30,000 did not cross, but disappeared.... Up until now, I don't know anybody who knows exactly where those people have gone."
Oil Interest that prefers doing business with Gaddafi--->Libyan rebels rejoice in Ajdabiya as air strikes drive Gaddafi loyalists out | Oil Leader News (http://oilleader.com/2011/03/libyan-rebels-rejoice-in-ajdabiya-as-air-strikes-drive-gaddafi-loyalists-out/ - broken link)
Quote:
The rebels still do not know the size of the enemy force they faced or even who they are for sure. The revolutionary leadership claims Serb mercenaries were among Gaddafi’s fighters at Ajdabiya and that they had been seeking to surrender in return for safe passage to Serbia. But the rebel leadership has made false claims about mercenaries in the past in an attempt to whip up foreign support, even parading innocent migrant workers from Ghana in front of reporters.
He threw his own people to the wolves 5 ways to sunday.

What does this bit of information mean? Libyan rebels rout Gaddafi forces in strategic town | Reuters
Quote:
Rebels said fighting had lasted through the night. By the town's western gate there were bodies of more than a dozen Gaddafi fighters, and an abandoned truckload of ammunition suggested Gaddafi forces had beaten a hasty retreat.
If that were an American soldier having to abandon ammo, he'd set the whole cache ablaze from a safe distance on his way out knowing that would be the arsenal used against his crew tomorrow if he failed. Are there sympathizers in loyalist forces? Looks fishy, smells fishy...

I dislike what we're doing there but I'm not tasked with the job of president nor do I feel informed enough to judge anything going on over there. I'm highly skeptical about a happy outcome for Libyans. BUT if we could all just agree no American boot should be permitted on the ground, I think our involvement will be contained sufficiently to let these people self determine and live with their choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies