Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:17 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times

Advertisements

Well since I've yet to see anyone from Maine discuss this (unless they have an undisclosed location) I will.

One angle to think about is that Maine is a very rural state. As one example, my friend's son attends college over 25 miles (one way) away from home.

They could not afford to get him a dorm room if they wanted to. We don't have bus service to the williwags either, and most people rely heavily on vehicles to get them to cities.

As it stands now, this 18 year old makes minimum wage of $7.25 and spends (as of yesterday) $3.78 per gallon to go to and fro. He has a small, reasonably fuel-efficient car, but it is old and they can't afford a newer one at this point in time. He recently mentioned that he now officially spends more in gas to get there than he makes. He'll have to make some adjustments soon.

Maine is incredibly hard on vehicles (especially this time of year when the frost goes out). They don't last long up here, and are expensive to maintain.

To cut anyone's wage (student or not) is ridiculous to me - especially if they are trying to save for college.

Last edited by cebdark; 04-04-2011 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I'll tackle the rant.

Kids at their first jobs don't know what they are doing and are not worth the adult minimum wage.
You do want the kids working to gain work experience and maturity.
If they get to work with the public it is a great way to develop their communication skills.

Now how young are the children? I bet they are all teenagers mostly over 16. If they are old enough to get a driver's permit, they are old enough to work some hours.

I can see a 17 year old working up to 32 hours if their Senior year at high school is a short schedule.

Work is good, there is no shame in any job.
Rather teach them to work than to learn to have their hand out in expectation of getting something from others for free.
Tried to rep you, but....

Chicken Little Liberalism is a constant source of laughter, innit?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:43 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Even the Republican Senators of Maine are a little put of by the Governor.
Maine Voices: LePage rhetoric interferes with goals, say GOP senators | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
Quote:
AUGUSTA – As Republican senators, we all want Gov. Le-Page and his administration to succeed.Yet, we feel compelled to express our discomfort and dismay
with the tone and spirit of some of the remarks he has made.

Were these isolated incidents, we would bite our collective tongues, because we are all human and make mistakes.

But, unfortunately, they are not isolated but frequent. Therefore, we feel we must speak out.

We ran for office as proud Republicans, inspired and energized by the campaign themes of the governor to make Maine a more business-friendly state and attract the capital investment we need to create jobs and ensure that our children and grandchildren will have the kind of opportunity and prosperity we all want for them.

We should be focused like a laser on the agenda the governor laid out – reducing our tax burden, getting rid of unnecessary government regulation that stifles innovation and entrepreneurship, and putting into place thoughtful welfare reform.

Instead, we find ourselves continually diverted, responding to yet another example of our chief executive picking a personal fight not worth fighting. "Government by disrespect" should have no place in Augusta, and when it happens, we should all reject it.

People sent us here to work together – to find common ground whenever we can. But there can, will and should be those occasions when our honestly held positions lead us to disagree and to vigorously debate the issues of the day.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:45 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Just the same lies they tried to sling at Missouri. Lies, extortion and thuggary are what you find on the union label.

Child labor is unionized? Wow, you'd think they'd ask for better wages.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
NO wonder there are so many low level drug smugglers. Five bucks an hour! You have got to be kidding. Five grand fo smuggling a kilo across a border is half a years work. A healthy kid can carry 20 kilos easily. I expect the gangs hiring halls to be overcrowded in the very near future.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,567 times
This is a good idea; depending on age. A childhood is a recent concept actually (early 1900s) and there is not a transcendental absolute in the cosmos as to when a child should work-its a society thing. Before, children were just little adults. We have this silly notion that all children are equal and can all be president.

A lot of children should be removed from school at certain ages and given over to technical training and craft mentorship, on the job training and such. These kids in schools, who do not want education just drag the others to ruin, cost a lot of money, especially when one thinks that they will never benefit from Shakespeare.

One of our problems, and the problem with this governor, is that we are effectively eliminating a lot of jobs that these "marginally" educated kids and young could do with "pride" and give them a sense of purpose (I use marginally in reference to an academic education as much craft, especially in the past, was highly skilled); machines replace many workers and such, I would imagine there is nothing harder on a child when it has no purpose and fails in our schools when that same child would perhaps be better building real things and such (besides math, sociology, responsibility and such come to the child in craft and technical training). Why not earn a wage when engage is this work?

Adults now punch out kids for the just because they want them or the irresistible biological clock or just as a by product of lust. The child comes into the world not really needed-has no purpose but to idle time away. Some times people had kids because they were needed, when farms needed hands and such. Course in our stupidity we think this wrong, but the child may have gained by realizing it was an integral part of survival-not an ornament (think how all those feminists ***** against being ornaments-but it is okay for a child-what idiots); but actually an asset to those around it.

This country is really ruining its children, and it amazes me that any become decent humans; but the society can not claim any praise for a success.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
I've been trying to get my kids to work for years now . . . .

Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Red herring. Besides, this has been done to death. While most of us recognize that unions did have a good purpose when they originally started up, they have outlived their useful lives.
Funny you should say that as the decline in union membership coincides amost exactly with the decline in the growth of middle class wages.

Top group takes large slice of income growth

Quote:
According to the Congressional Budget Office, between 1979 and the start of the current recession in 2007, the pre-tax incomes of the upper 1% grew 214%, while the incomes of the middle-fifth and lowest-fifth grew, respectively, 25% and 4%. As the Chart shows, this extremely unbalanced growth implies that 38.7% of all of the income growth accrued to the upper 1% over the 1979-2007 period: a greater share than the 36.3% share received by the entire bottom 90% of the population.
So much for "Trickle Doiwn Economics".

Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I began working when I was 15. By the time I was 17, I was working full-time.

We encouraged each of our children to have jobs as teenagers.

I see no problem with children working.

Whatever we can do to encourage businesses to hire more children as great

Old 04-04-2011, 01:49 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Just the same lies they tried to sling at Missouri. Lies, extortion and thuggary are what you find on the union label.

"Unfortunately, allowing 16 and 17 years olds to work longer hours for $2.25 less pay will cause a job shortage for 18, 19and 20 years old trying to earn money for college. Why? Because as soon as kids turns 18 their employers will find reasons to get rid of them and hires the kids who just turned 16."
quote Wayland Woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies