Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:34 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,668 times

Advertisements

One week he's tearing down a mural at the Dept of Labor that (in part) depicts the bad old days when children had to work to help support the family, rather than get an education.

Now, La Page is backing legislation that will lift restrictions on child labor, increasing the hours minors are permitted to work from 20 to 32 per week. Coincidence???

The article doesn't mention it, but the new law would also create a minimum wage loop-hole for the kiddies. Instead of working for $7.25 per hour, they'd get the child-sized $5 per hour.

Gee, why would the GOP want to shove more low-pay, no experience workers into an already staggering employment market? And what about school?

The answers are simple- cheap labor helps their corporate masters. Why hire an adult at $7.25 an hour when you can geta kid for $5? And as for school- who needs an educated populace? They just start thinking too much, and ask too many questions. Better to keep 'um dependent on their crummy jobs, and in the dark (and start them early!)

Coming soon, courtesy of the GOP- the return of the 19th Century!

GOP governor tries to roll back child labor laws - Coffeerooms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
Great plan! Cut funding for education and at the same time allow them to work excessive hours.

That governor is setting up a prescription for the failure of many students in his state.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,299 times
It will bring the jobs back from oversees because we will be able to open low-cost sweatshops here in the U.S.

THAT is how we fix the economy...

Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,111 times
I'll tackle the rant.

Kids at their first jobs don't know what they are doing and are not worth the adult minimum wage.
You do want the kids working to gain work experience and maturity.
If they get to work with the public it is a great way to develop their communication skills.

Now how young are the children? I bet they are all teenagers mostly over 16. If they are old enough to get a driver's permit, they are old enough to work some hours.

I can see a 17 year old working up to 32 hours if their Senior year at high school is a short schedule.

Work is good, there is no shame in any job.
Rather teach them to work than to learn to have their hand out in expectation of getting something from others for free.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I'll tackle the rant.

Kids at their first jobs don't know what they are doing and are not worth the adult minimum wage.
You do want the kids working to gain work experience and maturity.
If they get to work with the public it is a great way to develop their communication skills.

Now how young are the children? I bet they are all teenagers mostly over 16. If they are old enough to get a driver's permit, they are old enough to work some hours.

I can see a 17 year old working up to 32 hours if their Senior year at high school is a short schedule.

Work is good, there is no shame in any job.
Rather teach them to work than to learn to have their hand out in expectation of getting something from others for free.
Surprise! There already is a sub-minimum wage law:

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Wages - Subminimum Wage

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) provides for the employment of certain individuals at wage rates below the minimum wage. These individuals include student-learners (vocational education students), as well as full-time students employed by retail or service establishments, agriculture, or institutions of higher education. Also included are individuals whose earning or productive capacity is impaired by a physical or mental disability, including those related to age or injury, for the work to be performed.

Employment at less than the minimum wage is designed to prevent the loss of employment opportunities for these individuals.
Certificates issued by the Department of Labor’s Wage & Hour Division are required for this type of employment.

The youth minimum wage is authorized by the FLSA, which allows employers to pay employees under 20 years of age a lower wage for 90 calendar days after they are first employed. Any wage rate above $4.25 an hour may be paid to eligible workers during this 90-day period

Govt. website

There is plenty of research that shows that working more than 20 hours a week is bad for high school student's grades. I never heard of a HS senior attending school less than full time.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Sorry OP, Federal labor laws and minimum wage will prevent that.
Good try though at scaring the masses.

Missouri is trying to do the same thing. Are you not worried about that too ?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:12 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I never heard of a HS senior attending school less than full time.
It depends where you go to school.

At my old high school you could take PSEO, or college classes while still a high school student.

You could take 2 one hour college classes and be done with school for the day. So, it is possible. It is definitely not recommended to work near full time in school, though.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good try though at scaring the masses.
Just the same lies they tried to sling at Missouri. Lies, extortion and thuggary are what you find on the union label.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times
Yes, now all we need to do is set up sweatshops and employment rates should sky rocket.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh mean the labor laws and minimum wage laws brought about by "Marxist" labor unions you deplore so much and would love to dismantle. I'm sure you wouldn't mind doing away with labor laws and minimum wage if you could get away with it, after all I'm sure they "communist" in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies