Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Sage View Post
Yes, but I know several, no, many women who waited until marriage to have sex, got married, realized they were unhappy or were in an abusive marriage, and divorced. Some of them remarried, now have kids with multiple dads, and are happy.

It isn't just about sex before marriage and sleeping around and quickie divorces. It's ALSO about women being pressured into marriage at a young age because they think that's what they're supposed to do, and don't stop and truly think, "Hey, do I really want to spend the rest of my life with this person? Do I really need to rush into this marriage?"

While I certainly do think that the culture of promiscuity our society perpetuates has something to do with the problem, so does the fact that women are increasingly realizing that they don't have to stay in an unhappy marriage like they were expected to 50 years ago. But there is also a responsibility women (and men) have to be diligent in ensuring that they are really prepared to make a lifelong commitment to another. I honestly don't think most people getting married nowadays are truly prepared to do that. Otherwise you wouldn't see such high divorce rates.
That's why we have marriage counseling. Most people give up too quickly when they are not happy and do not seek all the available options. You're right, it's not all about promiscuity, but my statement about quickie divorces stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm still trying to figure out the significance of this thread. They have kids by different men. They tend to be more disadvantaged. Got it. Soooooooo....now what?
If there were different fathers paying child support the mother wouldn't be so disadvantaged.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Wow! Multiple Dads, those private tryst's must have been crowded!
Why do you even bother posting? Obviously only one sperm can fertilize one egg, what you said here indicates you don't even have knowledge of basic human biology. It most certainly adds nothing to the discussion, but that does not surprise me coming from you.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Another Palin smear by one of THEM.
I know, the entire point was apparently lost on that one just b/c of partisan smear tactics.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here's the thing..she will grow up thinking that's "the way it is".
This generation of kids with the same mom and different dads will grow up thinking nothing of it. Then in turn may do the same.

See where this is going ?
Exactly. To use my own family again, or rather, my in-laws, DH's mom had four kids all by different men. DH is the only stable one out of the bunch, as he married me and we are expecting our first and probably only child. His sister has four kids, the first by a one night stand, then she got married and the child was raised by her husband as his own (she was 17 when she got pregnant). They had two more kids, supposedly from her DH but she slept with BOTH OF HIS BROTHERS as well as other guys during the relationship so nobody can be sure of who the father is. Then they broke up and she got with another guy and has another kid. DH's other sister has two kids by two different men, although she's not positive who the father is of the second kid. DH's little brother is a teenager and thankfully he has not followed in his family's footsteps so far. Only time will tell if the next generation will follow in their mothers' slutty footsteps. There is no stability to act as a reference point.

Quote:

The family unit started to disintegrate with the boomers as they entered young adulthood and rebelled and did their own thing. Each generation since then has evolved and it seems it's further away from the sense of family unit. These days it can be defined as anything or nothing.

I would say the Silent Generation was probably the last with a strong sense of family unit.
I would agree with that.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm still trying to figure out the significance of this thread. They have kids by different men. They tend to be more disadvantaged. Got it. Soooooooo....now what?
This isn't a problem for you? I shoulda known.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
I would say the Silent Generation was probably the last with a strong sense of family unit.
Aah yes, the Great Depression and the Second World War. Good times! Family life was just swell then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
If left up to some ultra-leftist liberals, we'd be living under a one child policy like in china. They'd probably further and push for forced sterilization on the father and mother once the baby is born.
Please provide a reputable link to support this assertion.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
A Picture. It's worth a 1000 words.

YouTube - MAURY: YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER!
Watch some of the other videos in this series----99.9% are black-man-on-multiple-black-women segments. Is this some kind of sick racist carnival Povich is running here?

YouTube - Maury: **18** MEN TESTED!!! WHO DA DADDY? Part 2

Old 04-02-2011, 01:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Here's the thing..she will grow up thinking that's "the way it is".
This generation of kids with the same mom and different dads will grow up thinking nothing of it. Then in turn may do the same.

See where this is going ?

The family unit started to disintegrate with the boomers as they entered young adulthood and rebelled and did their own thing. Each generation since then has evolved and it seems it's further away from the sense of family unit. These days it can be defined as anything or nothing.

Didn't a lot of those boomers join in on the progressive secular movement? If so it is easy to see why they seem to be so strong today. Secularism is the main stomping grounds of anti-Christianity, IMO.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
2007 data:

As Marriage and Parenthood Drift Apart, Public Is Concerned about Social Impact | Pew Social & Demographic Trends
"Nearly four-in-ten (36.8%) births in this country are to an unmarried woman."
I have seen that number many times from that left accepted source so maybe you are right. Maybe this post will help some of those who think that the OP was totally wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies