Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times

Advertisements

What a sad legacy of women's lib and the sexual revolution.

Winning the future!

Quote:
Dorius’ study, which was presented Friday at the annual meeting of the Population Association of America, examined data from nearly 4,000 U.S. women who had been interviewed more than 20 times over a 27-year period.

This phenomenon is important to study, Dorius says, because there are consequences to both the mom and her children. Women with children from multiple fathers tend to be disadvantaged compared to other moms. “They are more likely to be under-employed, to have lower incomes, and to be less educated,” Dorius says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 01:30 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
A Picture. It's worth a 1000 words.

YouTube - MAURY: YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:09 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Winning the future!
Really, we're so much better off setting the widows and children on fire in effigy just like Hindu's. It's easier math for simpletons.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:19 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:

Winning the future!
Why, do you miss the days when only men had children from multiple women?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:21 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:

Winning the future!
LOL I believe it! The living adult females on my in-laws' side...you're batting 1000. My DH, 2 SILs and 1 BIL are all from different fathers.

I feel like the numbers are probably even higher with the younger generations (Gen X and younger). People think nothing about sex outside/before marriage, sleeping around, not using protection and quickie divorces. If you factor in each abortion that is had, that percentage would skyrocket. Then you have shows like Teen Mom, which has a paradoxical effect. It's supposed to show how you don't do it, but people think these girls are cool and hey, they're on TV and famous now, so why shouldn't they follow in their footsteps?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:24 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
What I don't understand is why American society seems to believe that a crutch is needed to be successful? When I read statistics such as this, three things come to mind:

1) Many women seem to need a man in the picture to feel whole; So they jump from man to man (and have kids in the meantime) hoping to fulfill this mission. Many times the man they are pursuing is worthless in the context of long-term relationships. This type of crutch seems to be perpetuated by bad judgement.

2) Personal responsibility is non-existent, by both the man and the woman, for not identifying the detrimental effects of their actions on the children they have with different mom/dad

3) Government assistance programs that enable certain lifestyles and don't present any real ramifications for irresponsible behavior such as partner-hopping and churning out multiple kids with different people

Interestingly, Facebook has opened my eyes to the preponderance of this phenomenon. Through FB, I have been able to witness acquaintances go through multiple men/women...move to multiple cities/states in pursuit of "that special someone"...only to do it again months later. All while having children in tow.

It's irresponsible, but yet its accepted in American society. I don't like it.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:27 AM
SB4

46 posts, read 49,909 times
Come on guys, it's empowering for them.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:33 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

3) Government assistance programs that enable certain lifestyles and don't present any real ramifications for irresponsible behavior.
If the OP's statistic is true, then for your argument to be salient, 1 in five American women of child bearing age would need to be receiving public assistance yet the fact is only 1 in 6 of ALL Americans are currently receiving public assistance a figure that grew by 18% due to the current economic conditions.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:35 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,356,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
LOL I believe it! The living adult females on my in-laws' side...you're batting 1000. My DH, 2 SILs and 1 BIL are all from different fathers.

I feel like the numbers are probably even higher with the younger generations (Gen X and younger). People think nothing about sex outside/before marriage, sleeping around, not using protection and quickie divorces. If you factor in each abortion that is had, that percentage would skyrocket. Then you have shows like Teen Mom, which has a paradoxical effect. It's supposed to show how you don't do it, but people think these girls are cool and hey, they're on TV and famous now, so why shouldn't they follow in their footsteps?

This behavior totally breaks my heart. My oldest daughter and her husband lived their lives completely opposite of that described above, got an education, worked hard, planned to start a family when they were financially prepared, and now are faced with infertility issues. Girls who participate in indiscriminate sex without any thought for the consequences pop out kid after kid, and then there are women who live responsibly and prepare financially to give a child a stable family life and they CAN'T have a child.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:36 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If the OP's statistic is true, then for your argument to be salient, 1 in five American women of child bearing age would need to be receiving public assistance yet the fact is only 1 in 6 of ALL Americans are currently receiving public assistance a figure that grew by 18% due to the current economic conditions.
My intent with that statement is not to compare and contrast statistical data. The intent is theoretical....when there are no ramifications present for irresponsible behavior, then we should all expect that government assistance programs can be as detrimental as they are helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies