Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 09:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The cuts now are 6 trillion so apparently its not the same proposal
Ryan edited his numbers, but programs to be cut are the same, and the ideas to eliminate loop holes etc are all from the November proposal.

Have you wondered why the Republicans didn't ran this through when they had the House, Senate and WH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Nobody will go untreated. It is the law to treat EVERYONE in a hospital regardless if they can pay or not.
Only to stabilize them.

If you have severe arthritis, you are SOL. How about a kidney infection? You won't get treated unless its life threatening.

I can go on.

Do you know any seniors with severe arthritis? Most would rather take a gun to their head without pain medication, pain medication that would be denied without the current medicare system. Yeah, I know, only if you are 55 or younger, but plenty of those folks will have the same healthcare system.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Our elderly as homeless all over America does not make a pretty picture.
The babyboomers are soon to be all in this category and they have paid into these programs all of their lives. It simply is not right to hurt people
but taking this away. Their are better solutions.
Wow! I have only read this thread to to top of the second page and couldn't stomach any more of the twist/spin/lies. Perhaps someone(s) else has (have) already addressed the "incorrect" interpretation (being nice here) of most of these first few posts in the following umpteen pages I have not read yet, but I have to respond!

The Republican proposal for reforming Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security states right up front: "Anyone of the age of 55 years or older will not be affected...nothing will change!"

For those under the age of 55, yes, there will be changes in order to keep these programs solvent so that that age group (under 55 years old) will still have these programs available to them.

If these changes are not made...there will be nothing for the younger generations plus those currently receiving retirement/medicare will have same first slashed and then disappear!

Let's quit the crap foolishness and face the fact that our Federal Government has to stop spending more $'s than it takes in. Any idiot should be able to understand what happens when you spend more than your income. I realize we don't seem to have anyone in the White House or many in the majority in the Senate that seem to understand that FACT, but we voting citizens started the correction last November in the Congress.

Now. please dear lord, let intelligence rain down and let us continue the same crucial correction in Washington D.C. next election, but in the meantime, support those who have the courage to stand up for taking the right path back to solvency. We have to then use our vote to give them all the support they need to finish the job next election or not only will these programs disappear...the USA will go bankrupt. We have to vote for Representatives, Senators and a President who have the intelligence to understand and pursue sane economic policies for our Federal Government in all areas.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
only-inflation-matters-retirees-moneywatch: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance share this 411 with grandma and grandpa

Old 04-06-2011, 01:09 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
and phgquest, yes i did ignore your link because what you linked to was collossal in size. why not show a little courtesy and quote a section that you'd like me to read?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ryan edited his numbers, but programs to be cut are the same, and the ideas to eliminate loop holes etc are all from the November proposal.

Have you wondered why the Republicans didn't ran this through when they had the House, Senate and WH?
We need one massive fiscal chain saw and somebody with the patriotism to wield it like a lumberjack lopping off massive pieces of government waste, inappropropriate, i.e. "Not in Constitution" spending and needless and counterproductive Departments (Education, Energy, HUD etc).

Old 04-06-2011, 01:32 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
You are so wrong. We don't have to hurt people by cutting Medicare/Medicade and Social Security. There are plenty of other ways to
save expenses. For starters we could quit giving the rich tax cuts.
We could stop giving contracts to companies like Haliburton that move to Dubai to avoid taxation.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So, because your grandmother didn't plan for her retirement, for whatever reason, she would not survive without SS and Medicare.

Nice grandson. And you call Republicans evil? Instead of putting my OWN grandmother in danger, I would take her into my own home. But we all know Dems talk the talk, but NEVER walk the walk.
I don't even own a home to bring her into. Not to mention that she wouldn't live with me even if I did due to religious reasons. You can't put me down for something that I have no power over. My grandmother couldn't plan for her retirement because she had to raise 8 kids and their dad ran off half way through raising them. Try dealing with that situation sometime and see how much money you come out of it with. She needs needs Medicare and Social Security to live. She is offered a home by several of her children but she blatantly refuses because that is the kind of person that she is. Programs need to be in affect to make sure elderly like her don't starve.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I don't even own a home to bring her into. Not to mention that she wouldn't live with me even if I did due to religious reasons. You can't put me down for something that I have no power over. My grandmother couldn't plan for her retirement because she had to raise 8 kids and their dad ran off half way through raising them. Try dealing with that situation sometime and see how much money you come out of it with. She needs needs Medicare and Social Security to live. She is offered a home by several of her children but she blatantly refuses because that is the kind of person that she is. Programs need to be in affect to make sure elderly like her don't starve.
Typical Left Wing fearmongering. Grandma's Gonna Die. Well, not really, because she has people that would help her, but she refuses help. But that doesn't sound as extreme as Grandma's Gonna Die.

Here's a newsflash: if we don't get our spending under control as a country, we'll all be starving.

FYI - I don't own my own home either. But unless I'm homeless and living under a bridge, I would take my grandmother in in a heartbeat.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Typical Left Wing fearmongering. Grandma's Gonna Die. Well, not really, because she has people that would help her, but she refuses help. But that doesn't sound as extreme as Grandma's Gonna Die.

Here's a newsflash: if we don't get our spending under control as a country, we'll all be starving.

FYI - I don't own my own home either. But unless I'm homeless and living under a bridge, I would take my grandmother in in a heartbeat.
And if your grandmother doesn't want to live with you, what then?

If Medicare is unsustainable with its current budget, then we must raise taxes to fund it. Yes, that sucks. I think we can all agree on tax increases not being a good thing, but sometimes they are necessary. You can be upset about that all you want, but its reality.

As far as me fearmongering. Holy hell I am laughing right now! I actually give realistic examples of why Medicare can't be cut.

Meanwhile, you accuse me of fearmongering while saying things like "Newsflash: If we don't get our spending under control as a country we are all going to be starving."

To other posters, who exactly is fearmongering here? Haha!

To calm your fear Mr. Ringwise, I'll let you know that the chances of you ever starving in this country are highly, highly unlikely. In fact, that scenario has not been likely since the early 1800s. You clearly aren't looking at these programs in a sensible way. Unfortunately, not everything in our budget can be cut.

But trust me! Despite the outcome of our politics, you WONT starve! lol.

Its really sunny out and I want to go rollerblading. Toodles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies