Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 PM
PPG PPG started this thread

509 posts, read 1,424,011 times

Advertisements

Why do Republicans want to "stay the course" of failure? Are there other reasons the administration wants our troops to stay there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 02:16 PM

1,247 posts, read 927,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpsgangtasandhustlas View Post
Why do Republicans want to "stay the course" of failure? Are there other reasons the administration wants our troops to stay there?
Republicans don't want that. I voted for Bush back in 2000 and I absolutely can't stand the guy. He's pushed me away from the Republican party, who's values I tend to share. But Bush is not a republican. I don't know what he is.

I've noticed that there are generally two types of people who support Bush and his policies. Religious conservatives are one group. Not all of them support Bush, but a large number of supporters I've seen fall into this group. Many of these people believe we should support Israel, at all cost. Some of these people are well informed.

The other group is uninformed right wingers. These groups can overlap. These are people who, when you go down the list of Bush's policies, disagree with many of them, but still don't connect the dots. They'll make statements about how they don't study history as much as others, but that doesn't change what is right and wrong. If a historical account challenges their view of the world, they call it revisionist history.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:19 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,481,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpsgangtasandhustlas View Post
Why do Republicans want to "stay the course" of failure?
Just a thought, perhaps the Republicans (or at least the ones we're talking about) don't think the course is one of failure.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:05 PM

68,335 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Just a thought, perhaps the Republicans (or at least the ones we're talking about) don't think the course is one of failure.

If that's true I'd REALLY hate to see just what they WOULD call failure.

And I don't think I've ever heard what they would call success. They speak of spreading democracy but would a democratically elected Anti-American government in Iraq constitute success?

Old 03-28-2007, 03:14 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,131,962 times
You've made some good points. I'm not certain if I could pigeon-hole the folks that support Bush, but certainly they have their eye on something I can't see. Then again, as I get older instead of getting more conservative, I've gotten more radical, and wear tri-focals.

I've also lost the compass on what a Republican is, and this forum isn't making it easier but more difficult. Words are so elusive to begin with, and when we aren't precise and say such and such is not a Republican; or this is not the facts, but without sufficient evidenciary back-up, it is difficult to understand what it is that guides those that espouse a pro-Bush stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Republicans don't want that. I voted for Bush back in 2000 and I absolutely can't stand the guy. He's pushed me away from the Republican party, who's values I tend to share. But Bush is not a republican. I don't know what he is.

I've noticed that there are generally two types of people who support Bush and his policies. Religious conservatives are one group. Not all of them support Bush, but a large number of supporters I've seen fall into this group. Many of these people believe we should support Israel, at all cost. Some of these people are well informed.

The other group is uninformed right wingers. These groups can overlap. These are people who, when you go down the list of Bush's policies, disagree with many of them, but still don't connect the dots. They'll make statements about how they don't study history as much as others, but that doesn't change what is right and wrong. If a historical account challenges their view of the world, they call it revisionist history.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,833,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post

That is a fascinating observation,just curious what positions separate Bush from republicans.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
That is a fascinating observation,just curious what positions separate Bush from republicans.

Well, for one, I've always been led to believe that 'less government' is a basic Republican principle yet the government is said to be bigger now than ever.

I've also always heard Republican put downs of the Democrats for spending yet they would deify Reagan for his supposedly brilliant strategy of outspending the Soviet Union in the arms race.

So damned if I know what a Republican really is, I know Bush was nominated at two Republican cnventions and his name appeared in the Republican column on two ballots.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:29 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,444,134 times
That is the second paragraph

the greatest expansion of the Federal Government in history has happened in the past 7 years. Not a Republican idea at all.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
That is the second paragraph

the greatest expansion of the Federal Government in history has happened in the past 7 years. Not a Republican idea at all.

Uh.........what party was in the majority and in the White House for most of those 7 years?

Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 PM

1,247 posts, read 927,884 times
Others have touched on it, but I guess I'll repeat it. Bush has expanded the power of the federal government during his term. I thought this was against Republican ideals. It's certainly against mine.

Also, he's never taken a true stance on the illegal immigrant issue. I thought Republicans focused on making sure our nation was secure. Yet the way this issue has been handled has lead me to believe the opposite.

So my take is, Bush is only pretending to be a Republican. Either that, or the Republican party has taken a turn for the worse.

I voted for Dole in 1996. I voted for Bush in 2000. I didn't vote in 2004 because it looked like a lose/lose election, to me. I may very well vote Democrat in 2008. I'm not sure. It depends on the candidates. At this point, all I see is corruption. I see a bunch of rich men who don't care about the issues that matter to me. Why did Congress question MLB players, anyway? What the hell was that?

And for those that care, the issues that matter the most to me are:
1) Ending the War on Drugs (Republicans are supposed to minimize government intrusion, right?)
2) Illegal immigration (protect our borders and our citizens)
3) Our foreign policy (I don't think we can get away with our Teddy Roosevelt/Cold War strategy anymore. The media sees everything, these days.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies