Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times

Advertisements

I assume this is being discussed in many other threads.

Obama administration: Shutdown would hurt economy *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/obama-administration-shutdown-would-900534.html - broken link)

My mother is starting to worry--in her 90's--depends on Social Security---I tried to reassure her--any tips?

For all I know --'We Are Doomed'---I don't really believe that--not even sure how many trillions of dollars of national debt has accrued.

I need 'short' FAQ's.

tia

Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post

Obama administration: Shutdown would hurt economy *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/obama-administration-shutdown-would-900534.html - broken link)

My mother is starting to worry--in her 90's--depends on Social Security---I tried to reassure her--any tips?

For all I know --'We Are Doomed'---I don't really believe that--not even sure how many trillions of dollars of national debt has accrued.

I need 'short' FAQ's.

tia
It is not the first time the government shuts down. If it shuts down, it will be for a short period of time. It is just a tactic used by politicians to keep the country as hostage to get what they want.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42446224...imes?GT1=43001

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-06-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,282,411 times
Quote:

I need 'short' FAQ's.

tia
Your Mom's social security should not be affected for now.

We aren't doomed, yet. I think this will be short in duration since elections are next year and neither party wants to be seen as the one who brought the government to a halt.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:

I need 'short' FAQ's.

tia
Keep in mind the mainstream media likes to make things seem bigger than they are. That's not to say a government shutdown would have no impact. Just that some of what journalists are talking about is worst case scenario stuff.

Think back to the last time we had a government shutdown. The country survived. What was far more interesting was the political price some people paid. I agree with the previous poster. Stuff like this is pretty childish. I didn't get what I wanted so now I'm going to shut the government down. Good grief, grow up. So you didn't get the cuts you wanted. Are you going to shut the government down every time you don't get what you want? I've never seen people like such a bigger bunch of crybabies.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:

I need 'short' FAQ's.

tia
mom should still get her check. In fact, being in her 90s she gets it the 3rd of the month I believe so she has her April check and the shut down, if it were to occur will be long over before May. I am sure she isn't the only senior who wonders about his/her SS check. We do as well, but we are not losing sleep over it.

Nita

Old 04-06-2011, 02:17 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,091,130 times
I, for one, hope to get a few days off. Catch up on things around the house, some yardwork, etc. No one's going to lose any pay over this. It'll all be over in a few days.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:55 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
Government contractors lose pay :P

Old 04-06-2011, 02:57 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:

I need 'short' FAQ's.

tia
Social security payments will be sent out, but new processing won't be done. Some medicare payments may be delayed, which may mean she'll get bills sent to her that have already been paid (why do hospitals do that?)

Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
mom should still get her check. In fact, being in her 90s she gets it the 3rd of the month I believe so she has her April check and the shut down, if it were to occur will be long over before May. I am sure she isn't the only senior who wonders about his/her SS check. We do as well, but we are not losing sleep over it.

Nita
I will keep 'advising' her.

I can hardly keep up with Japan, Libya and what may or may not be going on in Afghanistan---and at a local level we always seem to be 'on the brink'--crises are somehow averted.

It seems April 15th will be a big day for protests. ok. If that is what you feel you must do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies