Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Straight people usually marry the person of their choice but "marrying someone you love" is not a right. That comes as a privilege that has evolved in Western society. There is a difference between rights and privileges. Yes, heterosexuals usually get to marry someone they love or at least care about but marriage not infrequently is a matter of convenience. No question about it that gay people do not have the privilege of marrying the person they love unless they live in a state where same-sex marriage is legally recognized.
Privilege or right, in either case, straights have it and gays don't. Whether marriage is a privilege or a right is a whole other debate in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I see where your argument lies concerning this issue and constitutional law but I see it as a stretch. Sex is a protected class and as such, federal law prohibits discrimination based upon the sex of a person. No law exists prohibiting any person of either sex from getting married so there is no sexual discrimination concerning who can marry and who cannot. Am I right, so far? People with same sex orientation, however, are not a protected class of people on the federal level and, from what I have been able to glean from internet searches, are protected from various kinds of discrimination only on the state and local level e.g. housing and workplace harassment. I do not see a real precedent for the SC to declare laws against same sex marriage unconstitutional but I'm not a legal scholar. However, I have no doubt that liberal judges on the Court will see otherwise.
It's not sexist in the sense that men and women can both get married. But the sexism comes in when you talk about who you can marry. The fact that as a woman you can only marry men is technically sexist against woman. And the fact that as a man you can only marry a woman is technically sexist against men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies