Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:31 AM

623 posts, read 1,603,363 times

Advertisements

You animal lovers are something else. If this was PERSON that was acting strange and the officer sprayed him to subdue him this wouldn't even be a story.

The officer was CALLED to the scene. The story even goes on to say the squirrel was fine and returned to the wild. (where it was probably eaten by a hawk)

Everyone needs to relax. Really it was that big of a deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleelvis View Post
You animal lovers are something else. If this was PERSON that was acting strange and the officer sprayed him to subdue him this wouldn't even be a story.

The officer was CALLED to the scene. The story even goes on to say the squirrel was fine and returned to the wild. (where it was probably eaten by a hawk)

Well, not everyone will react with an uncaring attitude. We're all not carbon copies of folk that don't give a crap.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,962,747 times
Quote:
The kids will now need grief counselling and it's not in the budget.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,335,661 times
Quote:

That squirrel was after the kids' school lunch!

Old 04-10-2011, 11:27 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,329,632 times
It's pepper spray not buck shot. Lighten up.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:47 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,070,802 times
It seems that some people believe that baby quirrels approach humans quite readily. Well I have always lived in cities and have noted that squirrels seem to avoid humans as much as possible the same way I would tend to avoid an elephant walking through a shopping mall. Cops are not supposed to be animal behaviorists, they are supposed to protect frightened children from possible threats. He did his job and he didn't use the riot gun so it seems to me he defused the situation admirably. The cop had no way of knowing what the squirrel was thinking and anyone here who thinks they can see into the mind of a squirrel has a very high opinion of themselves. Whether accurate or not, it is common knowledge that rodents carry diseases that can harm humans so the cop did his job and protected humans from a possible immediate threat. Hell, I'm happy to see a cop doing anything at all beside eating for a change.

As it happens, the squirrel lived and was released back into it's habitat. The kids are no longer threatened by a possibly diseased animal and the squirrel has learned that avoiding humans is in it's own best interest. Everyone wins... except the cop.

Next year when a young squirrel starts to head toward a human, this seasoned veteran might say "Dude! Don't do it! They spit venom!" On the other hand, it might call it's buddies and say "Guys... Watch this!"

Old 04-10-2011, 11:48 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,329,632 times
I think this squirrel should lawyer up and sue!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:11 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,279,342 times
Quote:

Finally some semblance of intelligence on this matter. The people that should be looked at, are the MORONS who CALLED THE POLICE. Its a squirrel. How is a squirrel a police matter to begin with? What was the police officer supposed to do?

Come on all you police experts. Tell all us idiots, what the police officer should have done? Made angry faces at the squirrel? Used harsh language? What?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:19 PM

59,199 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
i cant bring myself to watch that video. hopefully it didn't die.
Oh, my God. give me a break Such drama.

A squirrel is nothing but a rat with a furry tale.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:21 PM

59,199 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Hmmm...

So someone contacted police to 'deal' with it and when the officer does something, he's criticized. What was he supposed to do? Kick it? Cuddle it? Stare at it? Get a net and...then what? If he dismissed the problem, then the person who called would have complained he wasn't doing his job (or taking the complaint/problem too lightly).

[the police can't win no matter what they do]
I'd be willing to bet the same people criticizing the cop are some of the same ones who were praising them during the Wisc. union issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies