Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
Yeah, I love working for peanuts for no benefits while some executive rakes in millions to buy his third home.
Open your own business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here's small sampling for the World Food Programme, totals for 2006 to 2011:

If you want to take a look at that document the amount given by the United States citizens is about equal to the next 19 contributors combined.

You'd have to live under a rock to not know how generous the US is towards other countries.
That link is government contributions to the WFP. Using that data on a per capita basis Canada and many European countries are more "generous".

Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
Americans have the lowest pay now, than they have in the last 100 years.
That is the work of the PROGRESSIVES!!!!!! What do you think they mean when they say that WE have to become more competetive in the world markets? What do you think they mean? They don't mean that OTHER countries have to raise THEIR standard of living, they mean WE have to LOWER ours! Lower wages is how it is done. This is ALL the work of the Prgressives, it is THEIR DREAM. What's funny is, the Progressives and Liberals for that matter, are always touting union this union that, middle class this, middle class that, but out of their OTHER mouth, they say we need to be more competetive in the world. How do you become MORE competetive with the likes of China who pays their workers $3 a day and no HC and the Progs and Liberals want unionized labor here that pays really high and all the HC you need? How does that actually work??? It is impossible!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Back on topic - I expect that the trend of offshoring to China will reverse -as the Chinese get more powerful, and their standard of living rises, they will take over the supply chain and start setting up low-wage factories in the US. It's already happened with drugs - the mafia & other US gangs bought from Latin America but controlled the supply chain - but now the foreign producers are muscling in and taking over the US distribution network.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Ikea: Workers' complaints surround Ikea's U.S. factory - latimes.com

Three years after the massive facility opened in Danville, Va. excitement has waned. Ikea is the target of racial discrimination complaints, a heated union-organizing battle and turnover from disgruntled employees.

Workers complain of eliminated raises, a frenzied pace and mandatory overtime. Several said it's common to find out on Friday evening that they'll have to pull a weekend shift, with disciplinary action for those who can't or don't show up.

Laborers in Swedwood plants in Sweden produce bookcases and tables similar to those manufactured in Danville. The big difference is that the Europeans enjoy a minimum wage of about $19 an hour and a government-mandated five weeks of paid vacation. Full-time employees in Danville start at $8 an hour with 12 vacation days — eight of them on dates determined by the company.

What's more, as many as one-third of the workers at the Danville plant have been drawn from local temporary-staffing agencies. These workers receive even lower wages and no benefits, employees said. Bill Street, who has tried to organize the Danville workers for the machinists union, said Ikea was taking advantage of the weaker protections afforded to U.S. workers.
No, the big difference is they are making this stuff here. Why do you think that is? Could it be due to the Swedish Government mandates?? Where do you suppose those jobs would go if unreasonable demands were made?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:49 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Back on topic - I expect that the trend of offshoring to China will reverse -as the Chinese get more powerful, and their standard of living rises, they will take over the supply chain and start setting up low-wage factories in the US. It's already happened with drugs - the mafia & other US gangs bought from Latin America but controlled the supply chain - but now the foreign producers are muscling in and taking over the US distribution network.

LOL, please identify low wage pharmaceutical manufacturing plants in the US.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
No..they will set up shop in other third world countries and start offshoring.
The US is not on their list..we have too many rules/regulations/mandates.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM

442 posts, read 553,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That is the work of the PROGRESSIVES!!!!!! What do you think they mean when they say that WE have to become more competetive in the world markets? What do you think they mean? They don't mean that OTHER countries have to raise THEIR standard of living, they mean WE have to LOWER ours! Lower wages is how it is done. This is ALL the work of the Prgressives, it is THEIR DREAM. What's funny is, the Progressives and Liberals for that matter, are always touting union this union that, middle class this, middle class that, but out of their OTHER mouth, they say we need to be more competetive in the world. How do you become MORE competetive with the likes of China who pays their workers $3 a day and no HC and the Progs and Liberals want unionized labor here that pays really high and all the HC you need? How does that actually work??? It is impossible!
It works by not competing with China, and keeping jobs here. Andy Grove: How America Can Create Jobs - BusinessWeek

Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times
In regards to the comparison between suicide rates in the US vs. Sweden, it all boils down to geography. Nine months of winter cold & extremely short days is very depressing. Seasonal affective disorder is real, I know b/c I've been there. I left the midwest for south Florida last summer. My first winter here was great, no bouts of depression whatsoever.

It also plays a role in alcoholism. Watch the show Alaska State troopers on Nat. Geo. sometime. Nearly every person they encounter is intoxicated.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:44 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
Interesting, I'm a liberal and a employer, I believe in paying good wages for GOOD staff for that way I make more.
This idea of throwing more under trained, under paid staff at a problem is idiotic for it ends up costing more.

The way to better productivity is good training and the right equipment, but with such low minimum wages it seems too many in management in the US believe they can get away with paying peanuts when they want to turn out high quality products.

Unions, yes I believe in them, my lads have a choice, get the union to negotiate or don't belong to the union and do it yourself.
But do not whine if you have done your own negotiation and you are not on profit share which those who belong to the union have.

I dislike those who would bludge off others who pay union fees.

The biggest laugh was the WSJ running a story stating that a firm had trouble getting people to do a eight week course to become certified trades men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies