Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 PM

799 posts, read 1,095,080 times

Advertisements

I've had this realization in my for awhile now, but wasn't really vocal about it because I'm more introverted than most.

But honestly as African-Americans we don't have the unison, near to the golden era of the civil rights movement that we had. Sad but true. Examples:

Dark skin vs light skin: Mainly its women, but men participate in this as well, its as trivial if not more so than division over eye color

Rich vs Poor: Mostly with the youth and young adults, if you don't have money then you're not really accepted (a very complicated division)

Black People vs Ni**as: This one probably did the most harm, it makes blacks say something familiar to this; "Wow, this is why white people look at us like this" or "Black people gotta do better." The reason this is so prominent is because of the media, it really puts the spotlight on the "ignorant and belligerent" or as most older adults put it "coonery and buffoonery" but that's all we seem to acknowledge as far as a whole, concerning race

Old vs Young: Once again I blame the media, but their not all to blame because once again this is one that is continually accepted within the Black community. I believe that the generation gap also plays a role, as well as the 80s - 90s period, including hip hop. The young are, for the most part, are ignored or seen as to dangerous to approach. And the old are looked at as somebody who doesn't understand or somebody who we don't care to understand so in turn are ignored as well.

Hood/country vs Suburban/proper: This fits in pretty well with my generation. As I like to say "If it ain't one thing its ten more" you gotta be either or, you can't straddle the fence and both are not liked by the other in general. This has an superiority-inferiority complex to it. Giving us competition and strife amongst each other to prove which is better. It may not be direct or even noticed, but observation is key with this one

Those are just the few that I'm going to give a shine of light on. There's a myriad of issues involving African-Americans against African-Americans and day by day I see it get worse and worse. Of course I have optimism for this but I would rather say something than let it be something I hoped it would become

I feel this topic is extremely sensitive I know it will push some folks buttons but for others (including other races) it will give an "ah-ha" moment. And for that reason I ask that as human being we put aside our differences to solve this issue. And rather than just talking about it on CD lets expand this topic to the workplace, schools, living rooms, etc. in a discreet way if need be.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
You should read the debates between Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Dubois, same argument then as your rather facile version now. But thanks for your thoughts, I am sure that by posting this on C-D you will be able to reach millions of concerned African Americans.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 PM

799 posts, read 1,095,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You should read the debates between Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Dubois, same argument then as your rather facile version now. But thanks for your thoughts, I am sure that by posting this on C-D you will be able to reach millions of concerned African Americans.
I wanna know your views on this thread topic if you're going to post in here, please don't give sarcastic remarks, for real. I want a debate/discussion rather than reading one. And I'll look more into those debates btw.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:17 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
I wanna know your views on this thread topic if you're going to post in here, please don't give sarcastic remarks, for real. I want a debate/discussion rather than reading one. And I'll look more into those debates btw.
I've stated this in the past that as a general rule, I don't participate in critical discussions of the African American community where those who would profit from such a discussion are absent and where there are far too present who would use the fruit of such a discussion for their own hate filled agenda. In short, my terse response was an attempt to send a more subtle message about where you might best benefit from such a discussion.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I've stated this in the past that as a general rule, I don't participate in critical discussions of the African American community where those who would profit from such a discussion are absent and where there are far too present who would use the fruit of such a discussion for their own hate filled agenda. In short, my terse response was an attempt to send a more subtle message about where you might best benefit from such a discussion.
Agreed. This forum IS NOT the place for this discussion. It would only be used as fuel to feed irrational hatred.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:21 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Agreed. This forum IS NOT the place for this discussion. It would only be used as fuel to feed irrational hatred.
There are no black people on this forum?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
I've had this realization in my for awhile now, but wasn't really vocal about it because I'm more introverted than most.

But honestly as African-Americans we don't have the unison, near to the golden era of the civil rights movement that we had. Sad but true. Examples:

Dark skin vs light skin: Mainly its women, but men participate in this as well, its as trivial if not more so than division over eye color

Rich vs Poor: Mostly with the youth and young adults, if you don't have money then you're not really accepted (a very complicated division)

Black People vs Ni**as: This one probably did the most harm, it makes blacks say something familiar to this; "Wow, this is why white people look at us like this" or "Black people gotta do better." The reason this is so prominent is because of the media, it really puts the spotlight on the "ignorant and belligerent" or as most older adults put it "coonery and buffoonery" but that's all we seem to acknowledge as far as a whole, concerning race

Old vs Young: Once again I blame the media, but their not all to blame because once again this is one that is continually accepted within the Black community. I believe that the generation gap also plays a role, as well as the 80s - 90s period, including hip hop. The young are, for the most part, are ignored or seen as to dangerous to approach. And the old are looked at as somebody who doesn't understand or somebody who we don't care to understand so in turn are ignored as well.

Hood/country vs Suburban/proper: This fits in pretty well with my generation. As I like to say "If it ain't one thing its ten more" you gotta be either or, you can't straddle the fence and both are not liked by the other in general. This has an superiority-inferiority complex to it. Giving us competition and strife amongst each other to prove which is better. It may not be direct or even noticed, but observation is key with this one

Those are just the few that I'm going to give a shine of light on. There's a myriad of issues involving African-Americans against African-Americans and day by day I see it get worse and worse. Of course I have optimism for this but I would rather say something than let it be something I hoped it would become

I feel this topic is extremely sensitive I know it will push some folks buttons but for others (including other races) it will give an "ah-ha" moment. And for that reason I ask that as human being we put aside our differences to solve this issue. And rather than just talking about it on CD lets expand this topic to the workplace, schools, living rooms, etc. in a discreet way if need be.
I fall into the me versus the hood ghetto type, I grew up with people like that. Im sorry but they are a big anchor on black people. They dont want to do better. Its shameful. Project living has to go. Welfare and food stamp recipients need to be randomly drug tested. It has to stop.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I disagree that that is the only outcome. It would increase understanding and give encouragement to many people that there are blacks who actually want to look honestly and critically at the problems facing their people, and do something about it. Everybody loves a problem solver; everybody loves a courageous person.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I disagree that that is the only outcome. It would increase understanding and give encouragement to many people that there are blacks who actually want to look honestly and critically at the problems facing their people, and do something about it. Everybody loves a problem solver; everybody loves a courageous person.
For one reason or another, many of the people that are drawn to these threads tend to despise Blacks. I doubt they are interested in any type of problem solving.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:29 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
For one reason or another, many of the people that are drawn to these threads tend to despise Blacks. I doubt they are interested in any type of problem solving.
I don't agree with that either. Rather, some blacks are so hypersensitive that they automatically assume anyone who wants to discuss the issues and who does not agree with their viewpoint is a hater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies