Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 03:23 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times

Advertisements

Planned Parenthood Spent $1M on Democrats in 2010, 600K Lobbying | LifeNews.com

Quote:
Figures from the Center for Responsive Politics are getting new attention and they show Planned Parenthood spending more than $1 million on pro-abortion candidates last year — all Democrats.
Quote:
... the Center indicates planned Parenthood maintains a well-funded lobbying effort in the nation’s capital...
Planned Parenthood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Planned Parenthood has received federal funding since 1970...

Planned Parenthood receives about a third of its money in government grants and contracts ($349.6 million in the 2008 fiscal year).
And for anyone who wants to say that PP does not provide abortions, see page 2 of its annual report for 2008-2009 (emphasis added):
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/fil...L-12-10-10.pdf

Quote:
For the three million patients our doctors and nurses saw, we
provided contraception (36 percent of our total services), testing and treatment for sexually
transmitted infections (31 percent), cancer screening and prevention (17 percent), and abortion
services (three percent)
. In all, we helped prevent roughly 621,000 unintended pregnancies.
3% of the 3M patients had abortions. That works out to 90,000 abortions.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...dures-4359.asp

Mmmhmmmm. So try not to come back with the line that "abortion services do not include abortions."

Another issue is that PPFA accepts donations but yet has a PAC to lobby for abortion rights....

From the Wiki article:
Quote:
Large donors also contribute a substantial portion of the organization's budget; donors have included the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Buffett Foundation, Ford Foundation, Ted Turner Foundation, the Cullmans and others.[39][40][41][42] The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation's contributions to the organization have been specifically marked to avoid funding abortions.[39] Some, such as the Buffett Foundation, have specifically marked funds for abortion services.[39] Pro-life groups[who?] have advocated the boycott of donors to Planned Parenthood.
Note the connection to Warren Buffett...but I guess that's no surprise.

Here's more:
Quote:
Planned Parenthood has also opposed initiatives that require waiting periods before abortions,[52] and bans on late-term abortions including intact dilation and extraction, which has been illegal in the United States since 2003
Is there really any question as to why conservatives would like to see PP defunded? Also, do not say that due to federal law, abortions cannot be paid for via federal money: from Wiki
Quote:
By law, Planned Parenthood cannot allocate any federal funding for abortions.[36] Some abortion opponents, like Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana, have argued that allocating money to Planned Parenthood for the provision of other medical services "frees up" funds, which are inherently fungible, to be re-allocated for abortion.
So, liberals, what do you have to say? Either quit defending PP and saying they don't do these things, or just admit that you are a-okay with taxpayer money going to fund abortions, and that you think the relationship between PP and liberal politicians is a kosher one.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:29 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
While I don't financially support groups that provide abortions or planned parenthood. If those 90,000 abortions had not been provided, would there be 90,000 children living in poverty, abused, neglected because they are unwanted? If people want to send money to Planned Parenthood in the form of a private donation I have no problem with that. Warren Buffett, Gates Foundation, Ted Turner.. etc.

Are there any programs that fund childcare for non-aborted children that doesn't come from the Federal Government? State run orphanages for instance (that aren't foster care).

Should the US government use taxpayer money to fund abortion programs through Planned Parenthood?

I don't think so.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
While I don't financially support groups that provide abortions or planned parenthood. If those 90,000 abortions had not been provided, would there be 90,000 children living in poverty, abused, neglected because they are unwanted? If people want to send money to Planned Parenthood in the form of a private donation I have no problem with that. Warren Buffett, Gates Foundation, Ted Turner.. etc.

Should the US government use taxpayer money to fund abortion programs through Planned Parenthood?

I don't think so.
The problem with private donations is this: If I donate to Gates, thinking that money is being used for education, homelessness, scholarships, emergency relief or a library, that money could definitely end up being used for PP, even if it is supposedly NOT to be used to fund abortions. Note that the foundation does not list PP on its website:

United States Program - Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Of course, I believe that people should do their due diligence, but unless one types "planned parenthood" into the search box, nothing is shown on the website, which leads me to believe they are not being totally honest about their donations. Do I need to search every charity I want to donate to for objectionable "causes" before I donate? Do you know how long that would take?

As an aside, I find it ironic that the caption at the top of the Gates website reads "All lives have equal value."

P.S. The flip side of the coin, in regard to your opening line, is that perhaps those 90,000 kids would have been placed into homes where they ARE wanted. People underestimate how many people want to adopt.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Considering that Planned Parenthood does so much good other than abortions (which is arguable whether or not you consider that good as well), I think that the arguments against it are idiotic.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Considering that Planned Parenthood does so much good other than abortions (which is arguable whether or not you consider that good as well), I think that the arguments against it are idiotic.
I'm just going to assume you didn't even read my post.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Planned Parenthood Spent $1M on Democrats in 2010, 600K Lobbying | LifeNews.com

Planned Parenthood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for anyone who wants to say that PP does not provide abortions, see page 2 of its annual report for 2008-2009 (emphasis added):
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/fil...L-12-10-10.pdf

3% of the 3M patients had abortions. That works out to 90,000 abortions.

What Happens During an Abortion - In-Clinic Abortion Cost

Mmmhmmmm. So try not to come back with the line that "abortion services do not include abortions."

Another issue is that PPFA accepts donations but yet has a PAC to lobby for abortion rights....

From the Wiki article: Note the connection to Warren Buffett...but I guess that's no surprise.

Here's more: Is there really any question as to why conservatives would like to see PP defunded? Also, do not say that due to federal law, abortions cannot be paid for via federal money: from Wiki So, liberals, what do you have to say? Either quit defending PP and saying they don't do these things, or just admit that you are a-okay with taxpayer money going to fund abortions, and that you think the relationship between PP and liberal politicians is a kosher one.
Out of 100% of the services provided by Planned Parenthood, 3% of those services were abortions. 97% of the services were healthcare. Did Planned Parenthood charge people for their services? (Why, yes, of course they did.) And so, can YOU, the one making all the accusations, and innuendo, tell us how many taxpayer dollars went to pay for abortions. Please be specific.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The problem with private donations is this: If I donate to Gates, thinking that money is being used for education, homelessness, scholarships, emergency relief or a library, that money could definitely end up being used for PP, even if it is supposedly NOT to be used to fund abortions. Note that the foundation does not list PP on its website:

United States Program - Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Of course, I believe that people should do their due diligence, but unless one types "planned parenthood" into the search box, nothing is shown on the website, which leads me to believe they are not being totally honest about their donations. Do I need to search every charity I want to donate to for objectionable "causes" before I donate? Do you know how long that would take?

As an aside, I find it ironic that the caption at the top of the Gates website reads "All lives have equal value."

P.S. The flip side of the coin, in regard to your opening line, is that perhaps those 90,000 kids would have been placed into homes where they ARE wanted. People underestimate how many people want to adopt.
Just so you know.

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is self funded.

Ordinarily... organizations which are publicly/privately funded use their donations ONLY for their charity because donations are hard to come by they're not funneling money to other groups.

But a group like "Make a Wish" for instance.. if they decide to give money to a politician that represents their cause and also presses for issues related to Planned Parenthood that's another story.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Planned Parenthood prevents more abortions than it has ever provided by being a source of birth control for low income women.

It also provides preventative care and screenings that has saved countless womens' lives.

Federal law already prohibits federal funds being used for abortions. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

I support PP because it PREVENTS abortions and because it provides comprehensive medical care for low-income women. Also, because I'm grateful that it existed for me when I needed it--not for an abortion, but for routine Ob-gyn care and birth control when I didn't have any health insurance.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:46 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
The practice of killing unborn children is a sacrament of the Left. It is as holy to them as celebrating mass is to Roman Catholics. They love death the way we love life.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:46 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I support the right to abortion, and what PP does. However, I see no reason the federal government should be paying for it. If states or localities want to fund them, it's their business. The federal government is broke people, we have to cut some place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies