Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That's going to happen when the US runs out of money anyway.
What is this, "When the U.S. runs out of money?" How is this being defined, when GDP is zero? What exactly are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
I heard this story this morning on NPR. It's very enlightening.

How Does The 2012 House GOP Budget Measure Up? : NPR

HORSLEY: Indeed, some eight million federal employees, retirees, and family members get their health insurance this way. The government pays about 70 percent of their premiums, and employees are free to shop around from a wide variety of insurance offerings.

So how has this plan done at controlling health care costs? Over the last two decades, costs in this competitive market have risen faster than in Medicare itself, an average increase of nearly seven percent each year.

But who cares? It will be the policyholder's money!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,196,697 times
Quote:
no more nanny state!
So when we take government regulations out of the mix and insurance companies refuse to cover the elderly because it will never be economically viable, what would you suggest seniors do? Just die?

I guess given that its a nanny state, we can get rid of all laws and regulations and the police and agencies that enforce them.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolvesfan210 View Post
do what I do, dont buy it.

also look into home remedies and treatments. more of a holistic approach to health then hospitals is better imo
I agree, witchcraft has done wonders for the torn ligaments in my shoulder. I would have been just fine except my wife insisted that I go to an orthopedic surgeon. Frankly, I think the ligaments would have just miraculously mended themselves, absorb the cyst that developed and relieved the pressure on my nerve that was causing the atrophy in my shoulder muscles.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
But you already trust it to work on people who are not insurable i Obam's pan for mnay more years than a 75 year old will live. Remeber also that those over 55 will not go into this pool but stay in medicare as it is now. You would have to be 54 and younger to star i the plan when enacted. its like the way meadicre is now that there will be nothig for those same age groups as medicare is formulaed now by that time.You can take those same figure and apply them to Obama care and see the same serio if you beleieve it to be the casse but on yonger people who will be in the same pool for decades;not the life spen of a 75 year old.If this were the case no insurnace could exist now as mnay company plans do and have for years.Remember also that Obamcare took 500 billion out of medicare spending to just start his plan for heathcare.What do yopu thing medicare is going to look like when a 54 year old gets to 75 under those conditions or even a 65 year old. Its will be broke before then.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,796,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
And that of course is the dirty little secret that Ryan doesn't address. There will not be any private insurance companies willing to actually insure us "old folks." And if you can find one it will not have competition and can and will charge you whatever they like.....which of course you can't pay.
You know it. Expect these characters to do fancy dancing around the homework they refused to do for 30 odd years.

The straight shooter Ron Paul's answer to health care problems is to have charity pick up the slack. Send all uninsured on a greyhound bus to shriners hospital? How long will they be floating? This was the reason religious institutions asked the government to step up in the first place. They'd be broke in a year. Or 8. That's how long it took Oral Roberts City of Faith Medical and Research Center to tank.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:35 PM

210 posts, read 210,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I see. I don't think there is any guarantee your money will be safe. Sort of like when privatizing SS was floated by GW Bush.
I WISH he did it with SS...it needs to be done..everything should be private

Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They will be cut off from using a government run program.

If having private options is so much better, why didn't Ryan propose to switch all seniors today into private insurance instead of just future seniors?
because those older seniors paid in longer..we want to give younger folks a chance to invest their Money privately into something less of a ponzi scheme like medicare...i dont think his plan went far enough though..there shouldnt be any government run health care

Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
So when we take government regulations out of the mix and insurance companies refuse to cover the elderly because it will never be economically viable, what would you suggest seniors do? Just die?

I guess given that its a nanny state, we can get rid of all laws and regulations and the police and agencies that enforce them.
is that what i Said? no it isn't. free markets rule. When insurance companies vie for this potential market, they will compete with each other to get the best deal

Old 04-13-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I agree, witchcraft has done wonders for the torn ligaments in my shoulder. I would have been just fine except my wife insisted that I go to an orthopedic surgeon. Frankly, I think the ligaments would have just miraculously mended themselves, absorb the cyst that developed and relieved the pressure on my nerve that was causing the atrophy in my shoulder muscles.
maybe it would have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies