Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I don't know, but I do know that education is 100% publicly funded in Cuba. Do you want to know what their literacy rate was prior to being publicly funded, 60-70%.
100% public funding means nothing, in contrast with America's education system.

I can recall (1960-70), public schools, which were 100% public funded, had graduates with far lower proficiency, than the private schools (i.e., parochial). Spending per pupil was far lower in the private schools than in the public schools.

Spending more does not equate to higher scores, nor higher literacy.
Nor does government control insure better performance... at least in non-communist countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 01:59 AM

573 posts, read 971,133 times
We all like to say politics is behind poor education (I agree it is partially to blame) but what about entertainment media that worships the stupid? There are many people who honestly believe school is worthless and i think many get these ideas from entertainment and sports. I have always attributed attitudes like this to entertainment personalities like rockstars and rappers who drop out of school to pursue stardom. Professional sports is even worse. How many times do we have to listen to an athlete (who in many cases is in a top college) in the media when said athlete cannot intelligently put a complete sentence together.

Of course politics is partially to blame for the poor education in this country. but it is not the only one to blame.

I mean seriously, how many idiotic statements do we have to hear come out of Gwyneth Paltrow's mouth before we realize education needs a serious tune up in this country.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I can recall (1960-70), public schools, which were 100% public funded, had graduates with far lower proficiency, than the private schools (i.e., parochial). Spending per pupil was far lower in the private schools than in the public schools.

You mean kids that go to private prep schools do better than kids that go to public schools? NO way. Harvard produces better students than a community college? End public education now!!!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:06 AM

401 posts, read 473,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Then we will be left in a society where only those who are rich can afford an education.

Bull. Public education is needed to educate those who could not afford it.

What we need to look at as a society is why we paying athletes multi-million dollar contracts yet school teachers have to get by on $30K a year and have to pay for school supplies out of hteir own pockets

What we need to look at as a society is why government wants to spend money on building and lobbying sports teams, when public schools are not getting the supplies they need to fix broken desks and windows, and get text books into classrooms

What we need to look at as a society is why parents would rather leave their child in front of a TV than to sit with them 20 minutes a day with their school homework

Public Education is needed ; a huge reform is needed, but part in parcal it fails because PARENTS fail at being PARENTS and being apart of the PROCESS of learning.
I agree with your assessment.

But, we also need to realize that Tenure allows for teachers to relax and rest on their laurels. They lose their distinction as honorable public servants when unions are overly involved. Unions make the teachers' benefits a greater agenda than the pupils they are advancing.

Tenure does not promote competition. Competition breeds successful participants. Therefore, Tenure will not create a successful system. Tenure does create a lackluster work environment filled with politics and personal agendas.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
We have governments who want to pay millions of dollars to woo sports teams to make a home in their city, yet will cut the budgets by millions of dollars for the schools.

It's been shown time and again that spending increases do not necessarily produce better results. I'm a firm advocate of publicly funded education but the system is broken especially in the inner cities. We need to change how we fund education. One taxing body at the state level that distributes a full voucher to every student, empower the parents and let them send their kids where they want whether it's a public or privately run institution. Poorly performing public schools go bye bye and the void will be filled by private schools.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:25 AM

The right is getting nuttier and nuttier. Now they have a problem with spending money on teaching 1st grade kids?

WTF!!!!! this is extreme.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's been shown time and again that spending increases do not necessarily produce better results. I'm a firm advocate of publicly funded education but the system is broken especially in the inner cities. We need to change how we fund education. One taxing body at the state level that distributes a full voucher to every student, empower the parents and let them send their kids where they want whether it's a public or privately run institution. Poorly performing public schools go bye bye and the void will be filled by private schools.
There is more than one approach, and I agree with part of your suggestions.

I'm of the belief that more alternative schools need to be provided. Face it, not all students can learn in an enviornemtn like a classroom. Some are not "book" ready students, but are practical learners (meaning they learn by DOING, not by reading, memorizing and taking tests)

And I dont believe in closing down poorly performing schools. I believe in overhauling or changing the ways of teaching in those schools.

As for alternatives, I want more Charter and/or Vocational type of schools.

Charter schools do wonders for children who can't learn in a traditional environment and have a more "focused" curriculum, without the heavy handedness of unnecessary subjects forced upon a student who has no interest in those subjects in the first place.

Vocational schools i believe should be offered from 8th grade. Where some students who just dont want to seek higher education, can start learning in fields of study they wish to pursue. Most Vocational jobs like automotive repair and such are a given, but there are other vocations that can be done like Computer repair and programming, mechanical maintenance and repair (everything from copy machines to as big a machines as printing presses), Construction, some type of art classes, music, etc.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
And I dont believe in closing down poorly performing schools.
The key with the full voucher is they'll have no choice in the matter. If they fail to attract students they'll have no choice but to close, liquidate the assets and return the funds to the taxpayers.

Quote:
Vocational schools i believe should be offered from 8th grade. Where some students who just dont want to seek higher education, can start learning in fields of study they wish to pursue
By arming the parents with the funds I would suggest you would have an explosion of schools offering educations that cater to the students needs whether it's music, sciences, vocations or whatever.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The key with the full voucher is they'll have no choice in the matter. If they fail to attract students they'll have no choice but to close, liquidate the assets and return the funds to the taxpayers.
Sounds like a contradiction. How can you return the taxpayers funds when you give it to private schools in the form of vouchers?

Old 04-14-2011, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Sounds like a contradiction. How can you return the taxpayers funds when you give it to private schools in the form of vouchers?

This has to do with the public schools in existence, with the full voucher since their funds are no longer guaranteed you will have schools that have been invested in by the taxpayers that will fail and you'll need to address that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies