Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Voucher amounts would vary depending on an individual's income and health status. The higher the income, the lower the subsidy. Low-income people, he said, would pay little if anything, and those in the center of the middle class would fare about the same as they do now. If a person became ill and needed more medical care, more financial help would become available.
You realize that the "income" for most senior citizens is fixed/low?

Will the total assets also be considered in the "ability to pay" equation?

Will this plan require seniors to pay out of the "nest egg" they saved for retirement also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 AM

54 posts, read 61,620 times
Medicare vouchers is replacing one bad plan with another bad plan. Like school vouchers does nothing to fix a broken education system, Just passing it around. Fix the medicare program as it is and fix public schools. Only ones who benefit from vouchers are GOP and private providers.

Cutter counters that Ryan's voucher proposal would increase more slowly than healthcare costs and leave seniors footing the bill.

"The bottom line under the Ryan plan: Costs would continue to rise, the value of benefits provided to seniors would continue to fall, and seniors would be stuck with fewer benefits and bigger bills."
http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/me ... icare-plan

Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Eelezah,

If you are 71 like the person you cited in your link - then you and that person will be the two only people in the United States who will receive vouchers and have to shop around for insurance at that age.

You could have at least looked at a couple of other sources for your information. Shopping around will indeed be a challenge for someone with such little ambition - unless you meant to denigrate the Ryan plan without researching it honestly.

Ryan, R-Wis., said he wants to "protect" people who are currently 55 or older by giving them Medicare exactly as it exists today. "We don’t want to pull the rug out from people on their way to retirement," he said.

Those now younger than 55 would get a voucher to buy private insurance when they become eligible. He likens this idea to the health insurance program for federal employees – including members of Congress – who can choose from a menu of federally certified health plans.

Voucher amounts would vary depending on an individual's income and health status. The higher the income, the lower the subsidy. Low-income people, he said, would pay little if anything, and those in the center of the middle class would fare about the same as they do now. If a person became ill and needed more medical care, more financial help would become available.
Vouchers will not make healthcare more affordable or effective. It does nothing to fix the healthcare problem.
You explained it better than Ryan. It applies to those who are now 55 and will not kick in until they are of age to collect Medicare in 2021? Shopping for best plan? There is no best plan in private HC. If it was people would opt of of paying into Medicare and pay into private HC plans. Who is doing that? PHC cannot provide the medical benefit that the federal and state can.
Shopping around for a better plan? LMAO Medicare as is covers all my medical needs when I need them. I just got a new power chair costing $24,000 because my Neuro said I needed it. No need to shop.
I know senior who have private suppliment and cannot get adequate care without suits.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,129,026 times
Quote:

Yooper, first of all, thank you for debating this sensitive issue with class.

Now, there are few private insurance companies that are going to insure an elderly person, especially one who has a chronic health condition, and, face it most elderly people do have a chronic health condition, whether it is arthritis, cardiovascular conditions, high blood pressure, etc.

Most retirees are on a fixed income, most depend on Medicare or a medicare replacement policy to cover their healthcare and drug therapies. I cannot see that changing in any big way in the future. Most would choose the bottom tier because, frankly, that would be all they could afford. Thee will be gaps in that coverage, and the taxpayer will ultimately be picking up the bill for the uninsured, just as they (we) do now. Or, worst case, there will be no treatment.

Most people who retire will have put in a good 30-40+ years of work and paying taxes. Speaking for myself, in those years that I worked, I asked nothing from Washington, most don't. I think they deserve better than this.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Eelezah,

If you are 71 like the person you cited in your link - then you and that person will be the two only people in the United States who will receive vouchers and have to shop around for insurance at that age.

You could have at least looked at a couple of other sources for your information. Shopping around will indeed be a challenge for someone with such little ambition - unless you meant to denigrate the Ryan plan without researching it honestly.

Ryan, R-Wis., said he wants to "protect" people who are currently 55 or older by giving them Medicare exactly as it exists today. "We don’t want to pull the rug out from people on their way to retirement," he said.

Those now younger than 55 would get a voucher to buy private insurance when they become eligible. He likens this idea to the health insurance program for federal employees – including members of Congress – who can choose from a menu of federally certified health plans.

I don't really see how vouchers would differ from the present medicare plan. Only differnce is private HC would control the level of care ( no the government) and campaign donations, big bonuses for CEOs and rationed care.

Under private HC, you get what you pay for.

How much do member of congress pay for healthcare.
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/politics ... z1JJkgbZFG

http://democrats.waysandmeans.house.gov/Media/pdf/112/GOP_Budget_Medicare.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelezah1288 View Post
There is no best plan in private HC. If it was people would opt of of paying into Medicare and pay into private HC plans. Who is doing that?...
And just how, prey tell, does one "opt out" of paying into Medicare? I don't recall being asked, that money has always been taken from me, without my consent. I guess I missed that memo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelezah1288 View Post
.. I just got a new power chair costing $24,000 because my Neuro said I needed it. No need to shop.
I know senior who have private suppliment and cannot get adequate care without suits.
Congrats on doing your part to bankrupt the Medicare system. It is that very sense of entitlement to the best of everything, on someone elses dime, that makes the system unsustainable. Don't get me wrong, you, and everyone that worked and paid into the system for their entire working career, should be able to receive something in return. That is the promise and contract of Payroll taxes. However, it's simple math, we can't keep spending, spending, and spending, with no way of paying our bills. Health care under Medicare will be "rationed" rather we call it that or not, and regardless of if it's under a "voucher" plan or not.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:53 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,921,707 times
This is all such a great argument for single payer. Why are we considering plugging in more overhead into the system by using private insurance companies? You can make medicare needs based for less $$ than adding in a bunch insurance companies. Unless the goal is to dismantle social insurance altogether, this seems to be the least sensible approach.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:16 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,219,462 times
Ryan needs to make sure that the Insurances companies keep their hands in the pie. They need that money to make the system work....for themselves!

Everybody already knows that they should trust insurance companies to do the right thing.

Don't forget the lawyers either, cuz they also need to get paid when you have to sue the insurance company to make it pay those benefits they deny.

Maybe we can leave it to the states to provide and distribute Medicaid with them grants too. They do such a great job with balancing budgets. Betcha protecting the health and welfare of the poor would be right at the top of their list....Not.

Typical Replugagain plan ...I gots mine and me first.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,486,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
The larger question is will someone at 71 be able to find ANYONE to insure them.

Remember when Democrats passed Obamacare last year?

The law MANDATES that every American purchase health insurance. And that insurance companies will not be able to deny people from coverage.

If our new law requires purchase - then insurance companies will have to provide it.

Why would we even need Medicare, if we are required to buy our own insurance?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,921,707 times
Quote:
Remember when Democrats passed Obamacare last year?

The law MANDATES that every American purchase health insurance. And that insurance companies will not be able to deny people from coverage.

If our new law requires purchase - then insurance companies will have to provide it.

Why would we even need Medicare, if we are required to buy our own insurance?

But at what price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies