Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 06:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention released a study on suicide and the economy.

"Suicides reached a record high of 22 people per 100,000 in 1932 during the Great Depression, CDC officials said in a report published online today in the American Journal of Public Health. That was double the rates seen in 2000, when 10 people per 100,000 took their lives as the economy prospered, the study found. "

Suicide Rates in U.S. Increase as Economy Declines, CDC Researchers Find - Bloomberg

Why is the CDC studying suicide rates and the economy? Do they not have something better to do? Why isn't this research done by the National Institute of Health who has a whole Division called the National Institute of Mental Health that does research? One of the branches of the government concerned with the economy would be a second choice. Is this another example of why the cost cutters in Congress should be taking a harder look at government overlap/duplication? Since the President is the one that opened the door on this government overlap/duplication issue when he talked about the salmon in his State of the Union speech, I thought I'd mention it. He also pointed out in that same speech that a dozen different agencies deal with exports and at least five with housing. I think he's onto something and hopefully something is being done about it by Congress.

"The Interior Department is in charge of salmon while they're in freshwater, but the Commerce Department handles them when they're in saltwater," he said. "And I hear it gets even more complicated once they're smoked." - President Obama in his 2011 State of the Union address
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies