Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:40 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,425 times

Advertisements

Here is crazy idea I came up with, which probably no one will support. But with high cost of schooling kids, the best way is to eliminate all publicly funded education. The idea is pretty simple:

1.) Close down ALL public schools
2.) Eliminate all taxes that go public schools (property tax, sales tax, state income tax, and some of federal income tax)

The benefits I would see is:

1.) No more need to pay high taxes related educating kids! I personally would save probably $4k-$6k if we get rid of public school education.
2.) Make parents be more responsible for their kids education!

Of course it would mean if parents want to educate their kids they would have to cough up money for private school. The public won't be supporting them at all so it would be 100% financial responsibility of the parents!

Sure there would be many parents would struggle money to this. In fact, many kids may end up not going to school at all. I can see a lot of complaints about that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:48 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Here is crazy idea I came up with, which probably no one will support. But with high cost of schooling kids, the best way is to eliminate all publicly funded education. The idea is pretty simple:

2.) Eliminate all taxes that go public schools (property tax, sales tax, state income tax, and some of federal income tax)

1.) No more need to pay high taxes related educating kids! I personally would save probably $4k-$6k if we get rid of public school education.

Of course it would mean if parents want to educate their kids they would have to cough up money for private school. The public won't be supporting them at all so it would be 100% financial responsibility of the parents!

Sure there would be many parents would struggle money to this. In fact, many kids may end up not going to school at all. I can see a lot of complaints about that...
Well, public schools is in the state domain not the federal. But, I'm all for eliminating the federal Department of Education. Too few families can homeschool nowadays, especially because both the dad AND mom work.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:55 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
health care isn't a right in this country, why should education be?

republicons: dumbing down america as quickly as possible. (in this case literally)

Old 04-16-2011, 07:57 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Wow.

So, the poor and middle-class would become uneducated, while the wealthy would go to good schools.

Screw the poor and middle-class to line the pockets of the rich. Typical far-right agenda.

I'm basically speechless. Do you have any idea how much that would hurt this country? I thought conservatives loved America?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well, public schools is in the state domain not the federal. But, I'm all for eliminating the federal Department of Education. Too few families can homeschool nowadays, especially because both the dad AND mom work.
Homeschool? With unqualified parents teaching their kids? With no federal standards? That's not education. Schools exist for a reason.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Here is crazy idea
I think the biggest result would be more people posting threads promoting even more really stupid ideas.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:

Ya think???

A completely ludicrous post.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think the biggest result would be more people posting threads promoting even more really stupid ideas.
If you can't read or write, how can you post a thread?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:03 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
come on you non-neaderthals, the OP's got a point, health care isn't a right in this country so why should edumajication be?

survival of the fittest/darwinism is a great republicon mantra when it comes to society but they still believe some gray beared old dude in the sky "created" everything in 6 days!

oh the irony.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Ya think???

A completely ludicrous post.

Now don't be mean. But I am at at a lost to how to respond to this post. Is it even serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies