Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
. Private companies are investing many billions worldwide.
All of it driven by government subsidies, GE for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
There are upwards of 10,000 youth, most college students who have descended on Washington D.C. this weekend. The movement? Powershift. They've rallied, they've organized, and they've met with President Obama.

And guess what? The only media coverage I've found in Huffington Post Green.

Who controls the media? Why don't they want Americans to know that a massive youth movement is building and their intent is to shift away from the old power structures; big oil; big coal; and move toward research and development that might leave a livable planet for these youth.

These youth have managed to have entire universities get off of coal fired power, and not just a few but many. These youth have managed to shutter old, dirty burning coal plants.

Jamie Henn: Power Shift 2011: 10,000 take on Big Polluters in DC

I found this interesting that there's no FOX, no CNN, no MSNBC. Take notice people; the movement is gaining momentum, and it is not going away. This is these kids' future that is at stake.

This is precisely why sites like Twitter and Facebook meet a demand. They aren't controlled by by oligarchs.
I cannot express how proud of them I am. Good for them, constructive, very American. I'm amazed how their maturity far outshines tea weasels. We want our twinkies!!!

I don't have a facebook account and twit tweeting-- to be honest I still have trouble connecting the camera function on my cell phone to my computer. I hope I see them on youtube, though.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:51 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
All of it driven by government subsidies, GE for example.
Oh you say that as if GE hasn't been the one building all those coal fired plants since inception. Enough already. The more disingenuous you operate, the harder you try tearing others down, the greater the disservice to coal you deliver.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Oh you say that as if GE hasn't been the one building all those coal fired plants since inception.
I used GE as an example because they are most likely the largest receiver of tax breaks for alternative energy in the US, that's just an educated guess. There might be some in the ethanol sector getting more. The point is these investments are not market driven, they are driven by subsidies and mandates. If these kids were to get their wish they'll be protesting the exhobitant costs BioExxon is charging for fuel in 10 years because the tech isn't ready yet.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:22 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I cannot express how proud of them I am. Good for them, constructive, very American. I'm amazed how their maturity far outshines tea weasels. We want our twinkies!!!

I don't have a facebook account and twit tweeting-- to be honest I still have trouble connecting the camera function on my cell phone to my computer. I hope I see them on youtube, though.

You can see them here, in the audience listening to Van Jones.

YouTube - Power Shift 2011 Van Jone's Keynote Speech (Part 1)

Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
..for about the hundredth time. These would be the first generation of kids having AGW jammed down their throats everywhere they turn. Seems the propaganda is working quite well.
Not hardly. As someone old enough to remember the very first Earth Day celebration in 1970, believe me this has been on many peoples' radar for a very long time.
It's too bad that so much of the early progress was undone by ignorance and too many people beholden to the fossil fuel industries.

And, what is with the derogatory feelings toward our young people? Seriously?
They made the effort to stand up for something that they believe in. The nerve of them choosing to make their voices known rather than spending the weekend drinking and playing video games.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
You can see them here, in the audience listening to Van Jones.

YouTube - Power Shift 2011 Van Jone's Keynote Speech (Part 1)
Thanks for posting this in support of Van Jones. The more people can see what he actually said - which is to use open markets to create green jobs in poor communities - the more people can see how Beck lied and distorted Jones' American vision of innovation and entrepreneurialism.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Not hardly. As someone old enough to remember the very first Earth Day celebration in 1970, believe me this has been on many peoples' radar for a very long time.
It's too bad that so much of the early progress was undone by ignorance and too many people beholden to the fossil fuel industries.

They made the effort to stand up for something that they believe in. The nerve of them choosing to make their voices known rather than spending the weekend drinking and playing video games.
Those young people are disgustingly ignorant, and bereft of any critical thinking skills.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:

These older people beholden to outdated technologies are simply threatened by young people coming of age and pushing them out of the way with cleaner systems that work. All their attacks are just rooted in fear that the w
orld is changing faster than they are..

Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:

I grew up during this time and trying to compare the environmentalism of the 70's and 80's and even early 90's to the present is about far fetched as you can get. People are bombarded by this in the media and elsewhere on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies