Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:07 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Amen to that. There are WAY too many preteen 2 dollar whores running around these days.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:17 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Looking back, I'm glad my parents never allowed me to dress in a provokative manner...I'm grateful that I got to experience childhood as childhood and stayed "innocent" quite a bit longer than a lot of the other girls in my class. There's plenty of time to be an adult and dress however they want later in life...childhood should be cherished, not rushed.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Im not in favor of dress codes simply because girls are dressing too sexy for their age. Parents already push too much responsibility on teachers, hence our failing standards (but thats besides the point). Parents need to grow a pair and realize that their children are not always going to like them. Do people not remember hating their parents when they were young but realizing the merit of the decisions their parents made in their adult years? Are we (American society) forgetting that being a parent is a responsibility and not always fun?

Being a parent is not being a friend to your child but more of a mentor, two totally different concepts.
Dress codes are not JUST for girls. Codes are implemented for appropriate attire, not because some girls may be dressing too sexy for their age.

Yeah, I would never let my girls run around showing too much skin. Shorts/skirts are appropriate in length whether in school or not.

BUT, if the school has a dress code, they need to enforce it.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
And don't paint your little boy's toe nails.
Hey, my aunt painted both my toe nails and fingernail sky blue until I was 5 years old. I loved it. I can remember being so upset when my dad told me I couldn't anymore because I was starting school. It has zero impact on my sexuality, just ask any of my 8 kids LOL. I still do them with clear polish and lately I've been thinkin, maybe blue again!!!! I don't know how the wife will like that though. But then again she has Rihanna red hair???

Old 04-19-2011, 04:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
or let them moon their teachers...

okay, seriously addressing this?

Are there any stores selling clothes for young women that are conservative, yet not too conservative? They don't have to dress in turtlenecks all year long.

Two, if your child has access to their own funds, they can buy what they want and change into it at school.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:43 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
It's not the nail polish that sexualizes young girls.......it's the makeup, the short shorts, the skinny tops and the "grownup" hairdos. Think beauty pageants for 5 year old girls and how those contestants look.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Don't parade them in a "beauty" show, either

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Old 04-19-2011, 05:36 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
"Parents, Don't Dress Your Girls Like Tramps"

I'm sure there's a CW song in there just waiting to be written and recorded.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:45 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
"Parents, Don't Dress Your Girls Like Tramps"

I'm sure there's a CW song in there just waiting to be written and recorded.
Ever since I read this thread, this has been in my head.
I can hear a remake in the works, to this tune.

YouTube - Waylon Jennings& Willie Nelson - Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys

Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Democratic Mommy's finally getting it about dressing slutty.

They feel hypocritical ... but none the less ... now grown up ... even they don't want their daughters to dress like sluts.

Chat: Why Do We Let Them Dress Like That? - Ideas Market - WSJ
Oh, come on! I live in a fairly conservative suburban city. Lots of Pubs here. There is no difference in the dress of the kid (see sanrene's comment below) insofar as the parents' political affiliation.

Quote:
Thank You, Thank You Very Much.

Actually, when I was young, there was nothing better looking than a long haired girl in hip huggers listening to the Beatles.
And I bet she had on a spaghetti strap top and sandals. Foot fascination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Dress codes are not JUST for girls. Codes are implemented for appropriate attire, not because some girls may be dressing too sexy for their age.

Yeah, I would never let my girls run around showing too much skin. Shorts/skirts are appropriate in length whether in school or not.

BUT, if the school has a dress code, they need to enforce it.
Well, there'll probably be an earthquake in the US today; I agree with you. My daughters were taught to dress appropriately to go out in public, and the youngest, especially, was in school when it was hard to find jeans that weren't extremely low-cut. But guys' attire needs to be addressed, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies