Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD. View Post
Why doesn't this suprise me?

Link: Hate-crime arrests in Quran desecrations at Pace University - Newsday.com (broken link)

Okay, so a student at Pace University tossed the Koran in the toilet, tacky. But four years in jail on hate crime charges? That seems like overkill to me.

To put this in perspective a few years ago, an artist recieved rave reviews and actually government (yes, that's right taxpayers money) funding to display a crucifix he had stuck in a jar of his own urine. Everyone thought this was 'art'.

A student tosses a Koran in a toilet and it's a hate crime.

Anyone see the double standard? I personally don't think either one should have been charged with anything, it is clearly protected under the freedom of speech. You want to burn a flag? It's offensive to me, but go ahead. Flush a Koran down the toilet, tacky, but clearly not illegal.

I felt very offended about the crucifix put in a jar of urine, but it is free speech, no matter how much I disagree with it.

Who is the Police Department to decide what is a hate crime and what isn't? If he flushed the Koran down the toilet thinking how much he hated Muslims, is it a hate crime then? Are we going to start prosecuting people based on their thoughts?

Looks like a slippery slope of Muslim Politcal Correctness.
What would have happend if a Koran would have tossed a white student in a toilet ?? No Hate crime. Just more double standard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 PM
JD. JD. started this thread

199 posts, read 487,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
A bit on the arresting officer, Shmulevich's defense, and a copy of the complaint filed against Shmulevich courtesy of Little Green Footballs:

But before the real goodies, if you want to track the case or make donations to his defense fund:

And now it gets interesting...

Copy of the complaint filed against Shmulevich:

Last, here's a
debate on CNN moderated by Paula Zahn regarding Shmulevich between Christopher Hitchens and Ibrahim Hooper from The Council on American-Islamic Relations. Love or hate Hitchens, he ownz Hooper. Please note the debate is in two parts. The link above is to Part 1.
Great post, thanks.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
What would have happend if a Koran would have tossed a white student in a toilet ?? No Hate crime. Just more double standard

Junkman I have to ask - are you trying to make a joke here? I was looking at it both ways and based on some of your other posts I am just not sure.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Junkman I have to ask - are you trying to make a joke here? I was looking at it both ways and based on some of your other posts I am just not sure.
I was wondering if he meant to type "Korean" instead of "Koran!"

Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 PM

345 posts, read 203,631 times
yOaDRIAN, you got it!

Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM

264 posts, read 695,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
By the Supreme and Federal Courts interpreting the First Amendement of the United States Constitution through a loooong history of jurisprudence and case law.
I'm skeptical of just how long that really is. I suspect that the courts at one time defined speech quite a bit more narrowly than they do now, and did so for a longer period of time than they have defined it broadly. I'd be interested to learn how the SCOTUS defined "speech," say, prior to the Warren court.

Last edited by Bellinghamite; 08-09-2007 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: corrected word

Old 08-09-2007, 01:08 PM

264 posts, read 695,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Could you only be 10 if you have to ask that question?
See my reply to TriMT7.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:25 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
You will just have to keep thinking about it

Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 PM

101 posts, read 255,048 times
Doesn't the Quran preach violence against all non-believers? If you read it, you will find it to be a collection of pure hatred against people who are not Moslems. It would be interesting to see a US court rule on this because "hatred of hatred" should not be a hate crime.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:14 AM

660 posts, read 2,441,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD. View Post
Why doesn't this suprise me?

Link: Hate-crime arrests in Quran desecrations at Pace University - Newsday.com (broken link)

Okay, so a student at Pace University tossed the Koran in the toilet, tacky. But four years in jail on hate crime charges? That seems like overkill to me.

To put this in perspective a few years ago, an artist recieved rave reviews and actually government (yes, that's right taxpayers money) funding to display a crucifix he had stuck in a jar of his own urine. Everyone thought this was 'art'.

A student tosses a Koran in a toilet and it's a hate crime.

Anyone see the double standard? I personally don't think either one should have been charged with anything, it is clearly protected under the freedom of speech. You want to burn a flag? It's offensive to me, but go ahead. Flush a Koran down the toilet, tacky, but clearly not illegal.

I felt very offended about the crucifix put in a jar of urine, but it is free speech, no matter how much I disagree with it.

Who is the Police Department to decide what is a hate crime and what isn't? If he flushed the Koran down the toilet thinking how much he hated Muslims, is it a hate crime then? Are we going to start prosecuting people based on their thoughts?

Looks like a slippery slope of Muslim Politcal Correctness.
so so stupid thats not a hate crime the d.a or whatever he was in the duke rape case following thru with it when all signs pointed to not guilty just because the "victim"was poor and black and they were rich and white thats a hate crime or when the white guys in jasper dragged the black guy thats definitely a hate crime why he did this who knows but its definitely not a hate crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies