Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Religion remains fundamental to US politics | Susan Jacoby - Times Online

I'm trying to think of any recent news item where someone's religion was a concern about whether they could manage a nation or not. I'm drawing a blank.

Someone help me here. I mean, I know religion and government aren't supposed to mix, but it keeps becoming a key issue. There are still many laws in the United States which are based on religion.
Blue law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The funny thing is....religion changes.

Church group......circa 1900's
http://www.sharylscabin.com/Allamake...LadiesAide.jpg

Church group now.
http://acda.org/files/u64654/PacificYouthChoir3.jpg

Showing that much skin used to be blasphemous. If it was blasphemous then, isn't it blasphemous now? If not, then was it ever blasphemous to begin with? Of course it was! Homosexuality is WRONG. Like showing too much skin is WRONG. Unless the religion - or people - or both - somehow became more tolerant. Yet, it is set in stone, is it not? That latter day set of singing cherubs are going straight to hell according to 1900's logic.

Abortion. Being homosexual. Etc. People tend to vote along the lines of other people who have the same religious views. Yet, then you have people who, having watched someone say they are "Christian" decide they are definitely not "Christian" and they must be a secret "something else" even though they go to a Christian church .....all I can think of is McCarthyism. You're a Soviet until you join our side and rat out all the other Soviets.

That makes me a sad panda. I'd like to see our government doing what they are supposed to do - govern - and less time on this trivial crap to entertain their constiuency. Does Joe Blow care if two dudes down the road want to get married and live in harmony? Maybe. Should it be a deciding factor in the election of a candidate who will tell two adult human beings they aren't considered to be real people with real feelings?

I think that is laughable.

YouTube - 70's "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" Commercial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Government needs to get out of the "real people with real feelings" business. Your feelings are the least of my concern, and that's exactly how I would govern you.

As I said before, we need a cold-hearted, callous President steering this ship.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:59 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
We actually need someone to listen to the people for a change and FOLLOW thru - I highlight follow thru because all anyone does is talk.

Example Rep Bainter or what ever his name is the guy who cried : he mentioned it was time for the prez to grow up. Well isnt it time for everyone to grow up.
point being okay everyone grow up
seems like everyone comes up with the grand ideas and it just flounders away and eventually rots

I get your point and to a degree we need a stern individual who is also caring for others.

Does that person exist ? Not so far.
Who in the past had these qualities...

Old 08-11-2012, 05:11 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
That would be nice. I'm also waiting for that.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
It's a faux key issue IMHO. Religion doesn't run our politics but it gets in the way of our government legislating social issues like abortion and LGBT marriage.

Have to get religion out of the way so the Government can tell us what is morally right or wrong.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Religion and social issues are the greatest creation of modern politicians. They can argue over and run on things that get people fired up emotionally; that they don't have to address or fix real issues.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:25 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Religion and social issues are the greatest creation of modern politicians. They can argue over and run on things that get people fired up emotionally; that they don't have to address or fix real issues.
So true. It's like WC Fields said "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t". Way too much talk about things that government has no business being involved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies