Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,226,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
I believe the bottom line of the OP's post is that the Army should not have ordained Religious teachers amongst its rank and payroll. In a way I can see the point, it is the US afterall - Separation of Church and State right ? Right. Its along the same lines as crying about Christmas trees at Schools and all. Surely the idea of a Chaplain or Priest in the army would tick off "devout" Athiests...

But here is the difference between the Army and any other field someone can work in in the US.

Army = You put your life on the line. One day you might be the guy who's job is to watch the Gates at your base. Chances are nothing will happen doing that. Sure thats fine.

Next day you are asked to do a field combat or patrol mission. You could step on a land mine and die, be shot, kidnapped, nailed with shrapnel from a grenade etc.

Its life and death. Allowing Religious figures in the army only helps the people there who already have death on their mind as a possibility. And it is respectful to our Soldiers to since they are risking their life, and have a right to receive last rites etc. Motivation and Morale is also heavily boosted for Religious soldiers if a Religious figure is on base [this is proven]. Id like to see any Atheist tell a Soldier in combat duties, that you want his Priest/Rabbi/Pastor fired since it "offends me" and we have "seperation of Church and State"... Go for it. You would be called a coward at the least.

If you [OP] are a Atheist in the army [I highly doubt it] then thats fine to. There is only a problem when Atheists try to force their views on non-Atheists.
This nails it! If atheists need counseling for their fears and/or other problems, there are secular counselors available. To elevate the post of an "atheist/secular counselor" to the position of "chaplain" is an insult to all people of faith. But, hey, maybe that's what the atheists have in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,875,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
No...I am saying you are completely missing the point behind the creation story. Because it wasn't simply to say 'God made man'. Genesis 1 is a proclamation of the nature of God.

It defines how God takes what is chaotic and without meaning and first makes order from the chaos and then fills the emptiness with meaning. In one sentence, that is the point of the creation story. So we don't go off topic, PM me and I can explain how that happens in detail, if you care to learn.
Genesis is a re-written story about a fallen king. It was originally in the middle of the bible.

YouTube - The Bible's Buried Secrets - The Real Garden of Eden (Part I)

Last edited by archineer; 04-28-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,180,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
correct..atheists (a religion) BELIEVE that we were an accident and just happened, and will be come food for the worm gods when we die

atheism IS a religion
YOU can call it anything you want, I do NOT belong to a religion.

AGAIN, for the SLOW: An atheist is one who does not believe in a god or gods....THAT IS ALL THAT IS IT. Why is that so difficult for you to understand.?????

(ever crack a DICTIONARY??? Use English???)

S O M E athiests M A Y believe we were
"an accident" that we will be worm food

B U T,

now are ya paying attention?

THAT does NOT make them an atheist.....

Get it???

Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,606,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
YOU can call it anything you want, I do NOT belong to a religion.

AGAIN, for the SLOW: An atheist is one who does not believe in a god or gods....THAT IS ALL THAT IS IT. Why is that so difficult for you to understand.?????

(ever crack a DICTIONARY??? Use English???)

S O M E athiests M A Y believe we were
"an accident" that we will be worm food

B U T,

now are ya paying attention?

THAT does NOT make them an atheist.....

Get it???
Then why do atheists want to be "chaplains" ?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then why do atheists want to be "chaplains" ?
I have no idea why S O M E atheists want chaplains...maybe they want the same treatment as Non-atheists???

WHY would anyone be against having a chaplain or counselor for ANYONE who is fighting for Americans, who is in battle, risking their lives,

FOR CITIZENS OF ALL RELIGIONS ???

Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,876,342 times
Atheism is merely disbelief in a God or Gods. There is no specific guiding principles to being an atheist. Technically many Buddhists are atheists and the term spans a wide variety of belief systems, many of them radically different.

Also, I fail to see why an atheist would want to be a chaplain nor seek one. I always thought one of the main advantages of being an atheist was avoiding that type of nonsense to begin with.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/us...ists.html?_r=1
From the link:

"""""In the military, there are more than 3,000 chaplains who minister to the spiritual and emotional needs of active duty troops, ...

Atheist leaders acknowledge the seeming contradiction ............. But they say they believe the imprimatur of the chaplaincy will embolden atheists who worry about being ostracized for their worldviews.
Defense Department statistics show that about 9,400 of the nation’s 1.4 million active-duty military personnel identify themselves as atheists or agnostics, making them a larger subpopulation than Jews, Muslims, Hindus or Buddhists in the military. """

Old 04-28-2011, 11:05 AM

So only atheists in the military "might" get ostracized if they don't have their own chaplains ?

Who gives a flying **** besides those complaining ?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So only atheists in the military "might" get ostracized if they don't have their own chaplains ?

Who gives a flying **** besides those complaining ?

(What a lovely CHRISTIAN attitude)

Who cares? Oh, maybe those who think supporting our troops is the right thing to do.

WHY would anyone be against having a chaplain or counselor for ANYONE who is fighting for Americans, who is in battle, risking their lives,

Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
(What a lovely CHRISTIAN attitude)

Who cares? Oh, maybe those who think supporting our troops is the right thing to do.

There are already counselors in the military which would cover the non-religious counseling.

They want chaplains though..not counselors which already exist to "comfort" them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies