Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 AM

310 posts, read 1,357,040 times

Advertisements

I've never been interested in politics that much until recently. So I've started at the beginning, trying to establish my own beliefs. So while reading about political issues, I often come across the terms liberal and conservative. I sorta get what each means, I've looked them up. I was hoping to get a better perspective possibly by asking this question also. So far what I got of it is that liberals want government to create equality among all people and conservatives believe people should create their own success and not depend on the government. I have a feeling there is a whole lot more to it than that. I saw a website where it described the views of both regarding a certain subject. For me, I didn't really belong to one specific side, but rather agreed with some liberal and conservative beliefs, so I would guess I'm a little of both.

I also read that liberals are rich and conservatives are generally poor. Probably just a stereotype. Anyway, it's interesting to me so I'm trying to delve a little deeper to gain a better understanding. Opinions/information/experience with this subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
In Liberaland, the govt is the FIRST place you look when you get into trouble. Everyone is consider equal regardless of their talents or abilities. The product of your labor is owned by the STATE to be distributed as it sees fit.

In Conservatopia, you handle your own problems the best you can and only look for help from the govt as a LAST resort. People are allowed to use their talents and abilities without interference from govt. What you produce is YOURS to do with as you please.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:03 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
There is a myth that liberals work for the poor and conservatives work for the rich.

There are also the social issues. Homosexuality and abortion. Liberals are for both and conservatives are anti for both.

There are people that play both sides of the fence, but essentially come down to choosing. For some the social issues make their choice, and for others, their choices are fiscal beliefs.

About the economics of liberals and conservatives, there are poor and rich of both.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Conservatives: Personal Responsibility, Limited Government

Liberals: If It's Legal, It's Moral; Government is The Answer

Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
As much as "conservatives" like to say that only "liberals" are for government intervention in peoples' lives, it seems "conservatives" (or neocons) seem to think government intervention is OK when its forcing their views on the people. For example, a lot of "conservatives" have no problem with the government telling schools that they should be pushing evangelical fundamentalist Christianity...

In my opinion, both "liberals" and "conservatives" are very much the same....they just have different special interests, but at the end of the day both groups want their views pushed on the people.

And both the Democratic and Republican parties are playing all of you "liberals" and "conservatives" like a fiddle, while they laugh all the way to the bank while the Joe Schmoes of the country argue about left vs right and liberal vs conservative and Fox News vs. MSNBC.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 04-29-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-29-2011, 12:09 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
I've never been interested in politics that much until recently. So I've started at the beginning, trying to establish my own beliefs. So while reading about political issues, I often come across the terms liberal and conservative. I sorta get what each means, I've looked them up. I was hoping to get a better perspective possibly by asking this question also. So far what I got of it is that liberals want government to create equality among all people and conservatives believe people should create their own success and not depend on the government. I have a feeling there is a whole lot more to it than that. I saw a website where it described the views of both regarding a certain subject. For me, I didn't really belong to one specific side, but rather agreed with some liberal and conservative beliefs, so I would guess I'm a little of both.

I also read that liberals are rich and conservatives are generally poor. Probably just a stereotype. Anyway, it's interesting to me so I'm trying to delve a little deeper to gain a better understanding. Opinions/information/experience with this subject?
All partisan politics aside, there are smart people from all sides of the isle. Social conservatives see citizens as part of a social fabric, and suggest that they should play their part in holding that fabric (culture & tradition) together. They urge cultural assimilation and a my way or the highway approach to ensure that the fabric is held together. Liberals see citizens as equals, and feel that all should be allowed an equal opportunity to fail or succeed. Hence, liberals are in favour of innovating school systems to give kids from disadvantaged backgrounds a better shot at succeeding in life. There are pros and cons to both sides, but it is important that if you do identify with one group, that you are open to your views being scrutinized so that you can refine them. By listening to conservative talking points, I am now in full support of citizens being armed at all times. On other matters (abortion), I would find it hard to have my views changed. It's not a matter of right and wrong, but more of a matter of fundamental beliefs which have been ingrained into our heads over the years.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
I'm in/was in the same boat, I joined this forum got some insight, checked out a couple of opposing viewpoints books at the library, watched CNN/FOX/MSNBC, and talked with people on both sides and the middle of the spectrum. I formed my own opinions what I thought was right, what I didn't agree with and what I couldn't conclude as an opinion. I'm mostly on the liberal side but I do agree with some conservative viewpoints, so It gets a little bit confusing. It helps if you study the history of all parties (just not liberal and conservatives). There are very very educated people on this board so I'm sure a personal message wouldn't bother them if you have any questions.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:23 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
So far what I got of it is that liberals want government to create equality among all people and conservatives believe people should create their own success and not depend on the government. I have a feeling there is a whole lot more to it than that.
This is more or less correct. I'd say that the two ideas you are describing are libertarian vs. egalitarian... or liberty vs. equality.

Democrats, liberals, and egalitarians are generally in the same camp together.

Republicans, conservatives, and libertarians are generally in the same camp together.

Last edited by le roi; 04-29-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:

understand first that there are two different areas you need to deal with, fiscal and social.

on the fiscal side of things, things are rather simple;

fiscal conservatives want equal opportunity for everyone, and thus less government intrusion.

fiscal liberals want equal outcomes for everyone, and thus more government intrusion.

in the same way that also applies to the social side of things as well. conservatives tend to be against gay marriage, abortion, and for gun rights and prosecuting criminals, and putting them away for as long as possible.

social liberals tend to be for gay marriage, for abortion, against gun rights, and want to "understand" why criminals do what they do. they also tend to push for lighter sentences.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Question everything you read on the internet and stay away from conspiracy theories and you'll be OK. The conspirists have created their own online communities and they don't read sources that could possible invalidate their positions. Remember to think for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies