Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:24 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times

Advertisements

All of us have heard of the so-called 'epidemic' of diabetes. As I recall, since the 50s, Americans have been gorging on sugar-sweetened cereals, sodas, candy-bars, and other sweet foods and beverages, that can keep your blood sugar sky-high.

So why has there been a sudden diabetes 'epidemic', within only the past 20 years or so? If diabetes is a disease of obesity, then why do I keep running into all of these thin people, who tell me that they've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes? Two friends of mine, say they were diagnosed with type 2 diabetics; but one weighs only 98 pounds, and another weighs only 110 pounds. They are both SKINNY!

I believe that the medical establishment has a high incentive, to diagnose people as diabetic, whether they really are or not. This is due to the fact that the pharmaceutical industry, has taken over the field of medicine, since the 90s. The pharmaceutical companies, give doctors and hospitals boat-loads of money, to prescribe their particular medications.

Also, look at all of the commercials for prescription medicines, that have appeared on TV in recent years. I don't ever remember seeing these kinds of commericals, before the 90s. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, to figure out that the pharmaceutical comanies, REALLY want to push their medications on the general public.

I realize that the medical professionals, also have a big incentive to fraudulently 'diagnose' their patients with other diseases besides diabetes, such as arthritis, heart disease, high-blood pressure, depression, etc., etc. All of these conditions, are typically managed with some sort of medcation.

But, many of the other conditions that I mentioned, occur only in middle and old age. But a 'diagnosis' of diabetes can seem credible to the parents of a child, especially if that child is already overweight. So I take the 'diabetes epidemic' as being a fraud, which is perpetrated by the medical establishment, and especially by the greedy pharmaceutical companies.

Last edited by artwomyn; 04-30-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
First of all, Type II Diabetes is not a disease of obesity. It is true that some if not most obese people will eventually be diagnosed as Type II. Type II, a lot of times, is a result of your pancrease ageing and not being able to produce.

My last doctor was 5'5" tall and 55 years old. The most she every weighed in her life was 119 lbs. She was diagnosed Type II at age 50. My current doctor is 5'10" and weighs 145. He's stayed within 5 pounds of that weight since high school and he's now 52. Diagnosed Type II at age 48.

I agree that a lot of drugs given to you is expensive and some are not needed. But it comes down to discipline. Most people won't monitor their glucos, their carbs, and such, and be responsible enough to take proper insulin. They'll say, well I'm going to eat a big meal so I'll just kick up a little extra insulin. As a result, longer lasting insulins have been made like 70/30 Novolin so that it has an overall effect instead of an immediate after meal kick.

If you are diagnosed Type II, it's not a spur of the moment, think I'll make some money with this diagnosis, type deal. If it is, that person is being very irresponsible with their own health. Anybody can view test results, or go get a second opninion or a second lab test and compare results. Nobody in theri right mind is going to commit to medications for the rest of their life based on one doctors opinion. At least I didn't and I don't suspect many others do either.

You make a good point. 40 years ago, most all food was home made. Natural ingredients. Then we became obsessed with the almighty dollar and we had to have a newer car then the neighbor and in order to do that, we spent more time on the go and less time cooking. So instead of making some rolls and putting a topping on it with approximately 100 calories, we stop by the super market and pick up sticky buns with 400 calories and 85 carbs. Instead of roast, potatoes and gravy, and some good veggies..... We stop at McDonalds and have a double quarter pounder, large fries, a parfait, a salad, and oh by the way, I'm watching my weight so give me a diet coke.

It's no wonder more people are being diagnosed with Diabetes. Every thing we are eating from town is chalk full of carbs.

Our kids play video games in front of the TV instead of playing baseball in the field. They call theri friends on their cell phone instead of walking down the street and knocking on the door. We hire a gardener instead of mowing the lawn ourselves. We burn more calories jumping to conclusions then we do from walking. Give it another 10 years and diabetes will be 10 fold worse then it is now. Just wait til our video playing kids hit their 20's and 30's. You'll see a lot more Type II hitting folks in their 30's and 40's.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
First of all, Type II Diabetes is not a disease of obesity. It is true that some if not most obese people will eventually be diagnosed as Type II. Type II, a lot of times, is a result of your pancrease ageing and not being able to produce.

My last doctor was 5'5" tall and 55 years old. The most she every weighed in her life was 119 lbs. She was diagnosed Type II at age 50. My current doctor is 5'10" and weighs 145. He's stayed within 5 pounds of that weight since high school and he's now 52. Diagnosed Type II at age 48.

I agree that a lot of drugs given to you is expensive and some are not needed. But it comes down to discipline. Most people won't monitor their glucos, their carbs, and such, and be responsible enough to take proper insulin. They'll say, well I'm going to eat a big meal so I'll just kick up a little extra insulin. As a result, longer lasting insulins have been made like 70/30 Novolin so that it has an overall effect instead of an immediate after meal kick.

If you are diagnosed Type II, it's not a spur of the moment, think I'll make some money with this diagnosis, type deal. If it is, that person is being very irresponsible with their own health. Anybody can view test results, or go get a second opninion or a second lab test and compare results. Nobody in theri right mind is going to commit to medications for the rest of their life based on one doctors opinion. At least I didn't and I don't suspect many others do either.

You make a good point. 40 years ago, most all food was home made. Natural ingredients. Then we became obsessed with the almighty dollar and we had to have a newer car then the neighbor and in order to do that, we spent more time on the go and less time cooking. So instead of making some rolls and putting a topping on it with approximately 100 calories, we stop by the super market and pick up sticky buns with 400 calories and 85 carbs. Instead of roast, potatoes and gravy, and some good veggies..... We stop at McDonalds and have a double quarter pounder, large fries, a parfait, a salad, and oh by the way, I'm watching my weight so give me a diet coke.

It's no wonder more people are being diagnosed with Diabetes. Every thing we are eating from town is chalk full of carbs.

Our kids play video games in front of the TV instead of playing baseball in the field. They call theri friends on their cell phone instead of walking down the street and knocking on the door. We hire a gardener instead of mowing the lawn ourselves. We burn more calories jumping to conclusions then we do from walking. Give it another 10 years and diabetes will be 10 fold worse then it is now. Just wait til our video playing kids hit their 20's and 30's. You'll see a lot more Type II hitting folks in their 30's and 40's.
I disagree, that people will automatically get second opinions, if they're diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Or for that matter, any other ailment. Most people still put too much faith, in the medical establishment.

And as I pointed out, doctors and hospitals have plenty of financial incentives, to wrongfully diagnose type 2 diabetes in their patients. Both children and adults may be exercising less, and eating more fast-foods, than forty years ago. But I doubt that it's to the extent, that would cause such an explosion in type 2 diabetes diagnoses, in the past twenty years.

And as I said, this isn't just about diabetes, or the aging population, who may have pancreases that become disfunctional with age. I have a friend, who was 'diagnosed' with both high cholesteral, and high blood-pressure. Her doctor never made suggestions to her, about better nutrition and getting enough exercise. He just prescribed a couple of medications for her to take, and left it at that.

In recent years, kids that would be considered naturally energetic 40 years ago, are now routinely diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder, and then medicated with drugs like Ritalin. The mental health establishment, has also jumped on the pill-pushing bamdwagon. They've kept coming-up with more and more 'disorders' in recent years, that they then prescribe medications for.

And as I said before, the pharmaceutical industry has started to advertise their wares to the general public via the media, and not just to the medical profession. It's obvious that they want to gain the trust of a gullible public, that has come to think that popping pills, is the best answer to every physical and emotional ailment, including diabetes.

All this being said, I uge people to think about the connection between the so-called 'epidemnic of diabetes', (and other 'diseases' and 'disorders') and the growth of the powerful, greedy pharmaceutical industry in recent years.

Last edited by artwomyn; 04-30-2011 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 04:18 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,593 times
Demographics. Baby boomers represent a "bulge" in population. Despite the media hype regarding Boomer's as "Forever Young", age takes it's toll. Some may call it an epidemic but it's just a question of numbers. Diabetes incidence increases as age increases, therefore there are increasing numbers of people with diabetes because the Boomers are aging. Investing in pharmaceutical companies which manufacture oral and/or injectible insulin is still a good bet because use of these drugs will increase by virtue of the age of the population.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
Demographics. Baby boomers represent a "bulge" in population. Despite the media hype regarding Boomer's as "Forever Young", age takes it's toll. Some may call it an epidemic but it's just a question of numbers. Diabetes incidence increases as age increases, therefore there are increasing numbers of people with diabetes because the Boomers are aging. Investing in pharmaceutical companies which manufacture oral and/or injectible insulin is still a good bet because use of these drugs will increase by virtue of the age of the population.
I agre that the boomers are aging, and therefore subject to developing more diseases. But I still believe that quite a few of those diabetic diagnoses, could be bogus. The aging population alone, couldn't cause the incidence of diabetes to sky-rocket the way that the media says it has. Especially since doctors have started diagnosing it in children.

As I mentioned the medical profession has a high financial incentive, to fraudulently 'diagnose' many diseases, including diabetes. As long as the pharmaceutical companies rule the medical profession, then people should remain suspicious about any diagnosis that they get from their doctor, no matter how old they are.

Last edited by artwomyn; 05-01-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 05-01-2011, 07:31 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
You didn't see commercials before the 1990's because in 1997 the FDA relaxed its rules for what could be included in TV ads. Your belief about efforts to falsely diagnose diabetes, frankly, is based on nothing but your own paranoia. Try convincing people who have been diagnosed with diabetes to stop their care regimen and see what happens.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:39 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
You can't manufacture a diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetics take their blood sugar every day and if it's normal, it's normal. Nothing has changed about that.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
And as I pointed out, doctors and hospitals have plenty of financial incentives, to wrongfully diagnose type 2 diabetes in their patients. Both children and adults may be exercising less, and eating more fast-foods, than forty years ago. But I doubt that it's to the extent, that would cause such an explosion in type 2 diabetes diagnoses, in the past twenty years.
You obviously are not familiar with hospital admission practices. Hospitals do not diagnosis patients, that is the job of the attending physician to establish. Diabetes is really hard to diagnose incorrectly (based on high glucose lab values).

In regards to hospital admissions a certain criteria must be met in order to admit a patient or insurance companies will deny payment. If a patient is admitted for diabetes related condition, the lab values better reflect this or it will be denied. Medicare, medicaid, private insurances all routinely review medical records of their patients and will deny payments if the condition treated is not reflected in the records.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:06 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
You didn't see commercials before the 1990's because in 1997 the FDA relaxed its rules for what could be included in TV ads. Your belief about efforts to falsely diagnose diabetes, frankly, is based on nothing but your own paranoia. Try convincing people who have been diagnosed with diabetes to stop their care regimen and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You can't manufacture a diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetics take their blood sugar every day and if it's normal, it's normal. Nothing has changed about that.
All three of you hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I agre that the boomers are aging, and therefore subject to developing more diseases. But I still believe that quite a few of those diabetic diagnoses, could be bogus. The aging population alone, couldn't cause the incidence of diabetes to sky-rocket the way that the media says it has. Especially since doctors have started diagnosing it in children.

As I mentioned the medical profession has a high financial incentive, to fraudulently 'diagnose' many diseases, including diabetes. As long as the pharmaceutical companies rule the medical profession, then people should remain suspicious about any diagnosis that they get from their doctor, no matter how old they are.
You're right. Poor diet, lack of exercise, and pre-existing obesity all set the stage for diabetes, and a lot of Americans have all three of those.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
So are you saying that laboratories are in cahoots with the doctors? Diagnosing diabetes is not a subjective thing. If you show up to your doctor with elevated glucose and protein in your urine, I'm sorry, you're going to be diagnosed with diabetes. How are they "making that up?" They are not. My 47 year old cousin just had a physical for life insurance. Surprise to him, his glucose came back high, he had significant protein in his urine, and he also had an elevated H1C which indicates that his glucose is routinely elevated. He's diabetic. Period. Because he is somewhat smart and not severely diabetic, he's going to try modifying his diet first. His doctor did give him that option.

A do know a few doctors who say that about 2 percent of their patients WANT to try to fix things on their own. The rest are overweight and haven't the first clue about nutrition, don't want to know, and don't want to stop eating. So meds are for them.

As for ADHD, I think it *can* be way overdiagnosed. That doesn't detract from the fact that people have it. Those rambunctious kids from the 60s and 70s who weren't treated: guess what? I went to school with a few of them. Several did not graduate because they couldn't make it through school and most of then self-medicated with alcohol, drugs, and reckless behavior.

I have seen ADD meds greatly improve the lives of (especially) high school kids who are treated with them because they are able to get some control in their learning environment.

Be thankful, OP, that you are so blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies