Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
So Jimmy Carter was given a whole mess of problems then when he couldn't make them go away instantly, the conservatives bashed him. Thanks for the history lesson.

If history is destined to repeat itself, next we're going to elect someone who is going to spend even more, cut taxes on the wealthy even more and pass on the debt to late generations. Reagan part II.
Quote:
8 years of creating the problems cannot be undone in 2 years and 3 months (yes thats how long its been since Obama took office, not almost 3 years, it just seems so long because loudmouth conservatives whine more than a 5 year old having a temper tantrum). Not to mention now congress is gridlocked.

Bush and the Republicans had 6 years of NO OPPOSITION to wreck this country. Nothing from Supreme court cronies, nothing from anyone with an ability to think because otherwise they would be anti-American and supporting the terrorists.

Cleanup always takes longer than destruction and this is Bush's mess that we are cleaning up. Bush's wars, the results of Bush's economic policies that led to the bubble bursting. The blame goes where the blame is due.
Quote:
Thats conservatives in a nutshell. We don't need to get into the long list of their lies that they've brainwashed people into believing that don't work.

Its pretty simple though, republicans spent years blowing up a bubble. It burst when the Dems took office (2007), and Bush was still there, so was the ultra conservative supreme court. 2/3 of the government was under GOP control. The Dems couldn't do much cause it would just get overturned or vetoed via the checks and balances system.

Its the same as in 1929 Hoover was in office for less than a year when the market collapsed. Do you really think 8 months of policy could cause a collapse that big???? Pretty unlikely. There were years of bad policy created by Coolidge and Harding and unrestrained greed that led to the collapse.

The Dems were given 2 years and even then they let themselves get bullied too much by Republicans that just spoke for a tiny minority of rich people and their sheeple. Not enough time to fix a mess that was 6-8 years of GOP making. Not to mention any good idea they had they overcompromised and watered down till it was useless.

Keep repeating your lie though, maybe enough sheeple will believe it.
these posts are all rubbish pure and simple. try reading some real history sometime and not the spin put on by the left wing media.

for instance the housing bubble did NOT burst in 2007, it was in 2008 over a year after the democrats took over congress, and it started during the clinton years. bush tried a number of times to reign in the problem but the democrats blocked EVERY effort to do so. remember that even though the republicans had majorities on both houses of congress, the majority in the senate was quite slim during the bush years.

as indicated reagan inherited a poor economy, and turned it around and had it on a positive note in less than two years. obama? every policy he has put forth with his democrat cronies has extended the economic problems this country faces.

as for hoover, he made the mistake of signing the smoot-hawly tariff act that caused other countries to raise tariffs on american goods, which essentially killed our overseas sales. up until that time, even with a poor performing economy, the government still had budget surpluses.

you can try to blame bush all you want, but the reality is that the democrats caused the problems, and obama has only exacerbated them with his policies and programs. including treating his cabinet like they are lepers, and running the executive branch of government with non vetted czars. and even though he made a deal with the republicans to defund the czars, obama has gone back on his promise(what else is new??) and used a signing statement, you know the ones that he said he would NEVER use, to essentially overturn the budget deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 06:11 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Fantastic post. The left simply ignores all the facts (they will ignore the information presented) and blame someone else. Why? They simply cannot accept that thier core philosophy is flawed and that Keynesian economics has failed in every venued tried. Libs are just not hard wired to accept the fact that everything they have believed in was a lie. They should have comfort in the fact that it was a damn good lie, cooked up in the kitchen of Joe Stalin for a gullible palate.
What scares me is so many appear to question capitalism with some even asking if communism a better system. When I first starting thinking this I thought they were joking in jest, perhaps some coming over from The People's Cube - Political Humor & Satire

Bu
t they aren't kidding around, some of them appear to really think this way.

When you have a government that wants to make everyone fair, everyone does their fair share ending up with a fair share of the proceeds, it take strong arm tactics and coercion which some of the younger set have never experienced.

Some point to the current failure of the economic system as justification not realizing it was governments insistence that institutions not follow a prudent capitalist market, that social engineering come first, that got us into this problem.

But most weren't alive in the 70's when Nixon came out with his WIN (Whip Inflation Now) buttons or later when Jimmy Carter tried price controls which were a total disaster.

No doubt some would like to see price controls instituted for gasoline not realizing the end product would be no gasoline for anyone. It has been this way through thousands of years yet some are still willing to "try it".

How Excessive Government Killed Ancient Rome (http://www.cato.org/pubs/journal/cjv14n2-7.html - broken link)

Quote:
Finally, the very survival of the state was at stake. At this point, the Emperor Diocletian (284-305 A.D.) took action. He attempted to stop the inflation with a far-reaching system of price controls on all services and commodities. [10] These controls were justified by Diocletian's belief that the inflation was due mainly to speculation and hoarding, rather than debasement of the currency. As he stated in the preamble to his edict of 301 A.D.:
For who is so hard and so devoid of human feeling that he cannot, or rather has not perceived, that in the commerce carried on in the markets or involved in the daily life of cities immoderate prices are so widespread that the unbridled passion for gain is lessened neither by abundant supplies nor by fruitful years; so that without a doubt men who are busied in these affairs constantly plan to control the very winds and weather from the movements of the stars, and, evil that they are, they cannot endure the watering of the fertile fields by the rains from above which bring the hope of future harvests, since they reckon it their own loss if abundance comes through the moderation of the weather [Jones 1970: 310].
Despite the fact that the death penalty applied to violations of the price controls, they were a total failure. Lactantius (1984: 11), a contemporary of Diocletian's, tells us that much blood was shed over "small and cheap items" and that goods disappeared from sale. Yet, "the rise in price got much worse." Finally, "after many had met their deaths, sheer necessity led to the repeal of the law."
That is where we are.

Where do they learn this claptrap?

Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Cuts in Britain Ignore Views of Keynes - NYTimes.com

Even Keynes' homeland now realizes his ideology is severely flawed.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Even though the last plan failed to correct the previous plans failure, they've got numerous more sets ready to be overlooked and approved. They're shovel ready.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Correct, BigJon, and lest anyone worry, however many millions of new job short they come up, Biden will quadruple that number and claim it as the actual gains, until his next speech, when he adds 25% more to it, and the next one, where again he adds 25% more, ad infinim.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:06 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
8 years of creating the problems cannot be undone in 2 years and 3 months (yes thats how long its been since Obama took office, not almost 3 years, it just seems so long because loudmouth conservatives whine more than a 5 year old having a temper tantrum). Not to mention now congress is gridlocked.

Bush and the Republicans had 6 years of NO OPPOSITION to wreck this country. Nothing from Supreme court cronies, nothing from anyone with an ability to think because otherwise they would be anti-American and supporting the terrorists.

Cleanup always takes longer than destruction and this is Bush's mess that we are cleaning up. Bush's wars, the results of Bush's economic policies that led to the bubble bursting. The blame goes where the blame is due.

Had two full years to do whatever you wanted without Republicans getting in the way. Go right ahead and list those Democratic accomplishments...I'll start the list for you.

1. _________________________________________

Old 04-30-2011, 07:48 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
As I posted under Looney Left above.

The money spent in Iraq and Afghanistan was just a drop in the bucket.

As an employer I remember trying to hire people in 2005 and I couldn't find anyone. These were good jobs, up to $31.50/hour for someone with a few years experience, and I couldn't find anyone without experience to start at $18.00/hour. On top of this I paid 100% of medical insurance for the family of every employee. And yeah, it was hard work but I had some guys working for me that would take home $1,000/week.

You always have the 5% who don't know how to work, as in you got to show up every day at the same time, or @ $18.00/hour decided the work was to hard so they disappeared at lunch time never to return.

During this time all I heard, a steady drum beat day after day, was how bad Boooooooooooooosh! was.

I wish I could go back to 2005 and most other people do too.

Taking me down memory lane.

Back in 2001 I had my pick of about six jobs. I settled on one that gave me BC/BS, Dental, ST/LT disability, Pre-paid Legal, paid holidays, bday and vacation, paid schooling, certification reimbursement and $24/hr that would increase to $27/hr a couple years later. No problem knocking' down $1200+/wk, and even after a fat chunk went into the 401K, I still took home at least $800/wk.

We used to get a big chuckle out of our manager putting a help wanted ad in the newspaper because we knew he probably wouldn't get anyone worth hiring and we could spend the week bustin' his chops about it.

Good times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies