Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:21 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,687,366 times

Advertisements

Why does anyone care about anything fun?

I mean, is it okay to care about the NFL draft? I see a LOT of talk about that.

Will it be okay to care about the Superbowl in 2012? Was it okay to care about it a few months ago? I didn't see anyone complaining about that?

OP, we get it. You don't care about silly, fluffy, girly wedding things making the news. Some people do. It's fun, it's upbeat. Much like all the stupid sports crap that's crammed down my throat daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:39 AM

7,976 posts, read 7,367,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
My lovely wife is British. Even though she's now a U.S. citizen, she gives a crap about the Ryal Wedding.
There's nothing like the British, for their resiliency, history, and tradition. Your wife should be very proud of her heritage. I think William and Kate will close an unfortunate chapter for the Windsors and do Britain proud.

By the way, when we gals rehashed the wedding at work (we ALL got up early to watch it) we all agreed that Prince Harry and Kate's sister Pippa would make a hot couple! We all planned on coming to work wearing hats Friday in commemoration of the event (but we didn't). Most of us didn't have anything suitable.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:42 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,709,467 times
OP: The wedding was Friday, not yesterday. It's over. Apparently you still want to talk about it.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:05 AM

10,537 posts, read 6,185,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
could somone please explain why anyone in America cares about the royal wedding??? I mean, the death tolls down south are in the hundreds and climbing, gas prices are on track to hit a record high, Donald trump wont shut up about obamas birth certificate, we are in a reccession nearly as bad as the Depression, unemployment rates are still up, and yet, all I hear on American media is about the modern fairy tale that is the royal wedding. People even had PARTIES!!! Can you beleive this?????? Why??????
Hi there. I'm from the UK and considering moving to the states. We all have our fair share of things to be depressed and worried about, and your are right to be concerned about the above. We are also in the midst of a recession.

But you can also take a bit of time out in your life to celebrate and be happy too, even if its a bit of fantasy/escapism. The royal family are about as far removed from me as they are from you, but I enjoyed watching them and am glad its a marriage forged from love this time and I hope they make it.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:12 AM

13,008 posts, read 18,944,391 times
It was done well. Everything went off with military precision. Things happened exactly when they were supposed to. But what many will remember was that clergyman doing cartwheels when he thought nobody was looking. Billions of people saw that, preserved for posterity.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,775,467 times
It's not like anyone looked to that as some major news source, it was more for the tradition and beauty of the whole thing. It was a diversion from daily trials.

Just like the Superbowl is for a lot of people. It doesn't really affect anyone, just a diversion.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,360,101 times
Two spoiled brats who are rich and famous because their parents are rich and famous got married. How are thery any different than Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton? I'm glad it's over because soon we'll stop hearing about it.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,514,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Two spoiled brats who are rich and famous because their parents are rich and famous got married. How are thery any different than Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton? I'm glad it's over because soon we'll stop hearing about it.
I think William has a mission---not a day goes by that he doesn't think about his Mother, the People's Princess. Change---it is a process in our global community.

I think he will be king. A historical moment?

Maybe so.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,514,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
It's not like anyone looked to that as some major news source, it was more for the tradition and beauty of the whole thing. It was a diversion from daily trials.

Just like the Superbowl is for a lot of people. It doesn't really affect anyone, just a diversion.
Oh--I think it was more than that. Some things can't be discussed openly, at the moment at least.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,182,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I enjoyed the wedding.

So beautiful and so much history.

Most little girls dream of their prince.....
And then the smart ones grow up.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies