Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
This stuff goes way back though, before the little rise in the stock market during Clinton.
Remember the rise and fall?
Older folks desperate for any way to not lose their life savings went into the stock market in mass over the low interest rates for savings.
They were amateurs and they took it in the shorts and have been since then.
That is one of the reasons that you have seen such a great disparity in wealth, which is getting worse every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am using terms like static to make this conversation as elementary as possible so that you may understand. As much as people would like to make this liberal or conservative it is neither.
Here comes the left wing insults for simply pointing out they are wrong.. Ahh thats it, you are trying to dumb down a conversation about investments, with someone who makes a living from these "static" investments.. Want to compare balance sheets and then figure out who should be dumbing down the conversation for the other one?
Quote:
Maybe we can both agree on something. In order for the economy to grow you need transactions to occur?
True, but taxing people doesnt make transactions occur
Quote:
You need money in the hands of people who will actually spend it. Do we agree on that?
Which sometimes mean leaving money in the hands of people that will invest it, because without those investments, you cant create jobs, you cant have salaries, you cant produce goods..

Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
That is one of the reasons that you have seen such a great disparity in wealth, which is getting worse every year.
It was one of the consequences of Government making changes that were not good changes.
Right now with housing the government jumped in and so F'd it up that the market isn't stabilizing at all.

When interest rates went to near zero and oldsters had to invest in the market over CDs, that was the end of retirement stability and now all that can that are older mostly have to work. Many were for sure thrown into welfare and social programs that they would never had to be on.

The government demolished old people, then also turned them into a major tax burden and took away a lot of their independence.

It is a tragedy IMO.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times
Quote:
Until they lower tax rates and increase loans to those who can pay, you are going to see this continue.

I've also had conversations with a few small business owners who've had to drop employees and health-care coverage for them because of the coming Obamacare which also was a knife in the heart of business.

You are going to see a new breed of worker that works for themselves and around Obamacare. They will not grow a company due to Obamacare and that is why you are going to have small independents and large corporations with almost nothing in between in the future.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh thats it, you are trying to dumb down a conversation about investments, with someone who makes a living from these "static" investments.. Want to compare balance sheets and then figure out who should be dumbing down the conversation for the other one?

True, but taxing people doesnt make transactions occur

Which sometimes mean leaving money in the hands of people that will invest it, because without those investments, you cant create jobs, you cant have salaries, you cant produce goods..
The thread is not about investments. The thread is about economics. I have meant to use the word investment to have the broadest of possible meanings. I do not want to look at your balance sheet. I get paid to look at them. If you are wanting financial advice, I will have to charge you. Consider what I have said up to this point as pro bono work, a thank you would just be sufficient.

I believe I have stated this too many times for you not to understand. I will take it that your ignorance is willful, but I will repeat myself one last time.

The tax in itself does not create velocity. The result of the tax is what creates velocity. If john has 10 dollars in a bank accout that he never intends to spend, and you tax him 2 dollars and then you spend the 2 dollars on a baseball card and the baseball card is then sold at a card auction etc. etc. You get the picture.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
The thread is not about investments. The thread is about economics. I have meant to use the word investment to have the broadest of possible meanings. I do not want to look at your balance sheet. I get paid to look at them. If you are wanting financial advice, I will have to charge you. Consider what I have said up to this point as pro bono work, a thank you would just be sufficient.

I believe I have stated this too many times for you not to understand. I will take it that your ignorance is willful, but I will repeat myself one last time.

The tax in itself does not create velocity. The result of the tax is what creates velocity. If john has 10 dollars in a bank accout that he never intends to spend, and you tax him 2 dollars and then you spend the 2 dollars on a baseball card and the baseball card is then sold at a card auction etc. etc. You get the picture.
Why worry about John's $10.

In the bank is still in play.

It doesn't just sit there.

The bank rents it out to others.

That is why I pulled all of my money out (except the business account) until Obama is gone.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The thread is not about investments. The thread is about economics.
You also are talking about taxing "the rich" who make their living off investments. See, this is the problem with liberals, you all think you can talk about doing something and there wont be any ramifications on other things..
Quote:
I have meant to use the word investment to have the broadest of possible meanings. I do not want to look at your balance sheet. I get paid to look at them. If you are wanting financial advice, I will have to charge you.
There is a huge difference between looking at someone elses balance sheets and having them. To equate the two is rather silly.. I sure hope you are only looking at peoples spreadsheets and not giving economic advice
Quote:
Consider what I have said up to this point as pro bono work, a thank you would just be sufficient.
Your advice is worth about what I've paid for it.. In fact you should be paying me to have to listen to this garbage..
Quote:
Repeating your wrong statements, over and over, doesnt make you correct...
Quote:
The result of the tax DECREASES velocity because if you are going to now call for STEALING my assets, I'm going to SPEND LESS.. not more..

Thats the difference between you and I.. I'll be the one dealing with your failed policies, and if you dont want to hear how I'd react, and continue to live in your fantasy land that by taking more of my money, I'd spend even more, then your smoking some serious drugs..

Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why worry about John's $10.

In the bank is still in play.

It doesn't just sit there.

The bank rents it out to others.

That is why I pulled all of my money out (except the business account) until Obama is gone.
yep.. the op wants to reduce 20% of the amount of money being invested, (i.e. thats what the bank does with the money) and then pretend that discussing "investments" is off the topic..

Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Until they lower tax rates and increase loans to those who can pay, you are going to see this continue.

I've also had conversations with a few small business owners who've had to drop employees and health-care coverage for them because of the coming Obamacare which also was a knife in the heart of business.

You are going to see a new breed of worker that works for themselves and around Obamacare. They will not grow a company due to Obamacare and that is why you are going to have small independents and large corporations with almost nothing in between in the future.

The below chart is pretty telling. This is where a lot of the tarp money has gone. The banks are hoarding it and not lending it out. This is a big problem.

The banks have to keep a certain amount on reserve. This has always been very static because banks make money by using the excess to lend out. They are not doing that now to the same degree.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yep.. the op wants to reduce 20% of the amount of money being invested, (i.e. thats what the bank does with the money) and then pretend that discussing "investments" is off the topic..
Ideally, a bank would lend the money, which would create velocity. I am all for that, but what happens when they don't. Currently, the banks are hoarding the money.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies