Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

Current estimates point out that 30% to 40% of LGBT youth have attempted to commit suicide. This rate is FOUR times the suicide rate of heterosexual teens.

Depression, Drug Use and Suicide among LGBT youth have all been shown to increase significantly after new laws discriminating against LGBT people are passed by the heterosexual majority.

It's time to live and let live and stop harassing LGBT people in general and contributing to the suicide rate etcetera among our youth.

To any gay youth reading this thread.....remember you are not alone in your struggles......hang in there.....it gets better.

And pay no attention to the "haters" because these people thrive on hatred and negativity; they possess "dark souls" and are going against God's message of "Love Thy Neighbor".

New Google Chrome ad will make you cry | News Blog from 365gay.com

Suicide among LGBT youth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Impact of Institutional Discrimination on Psychiatric Disorders in Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Populations: A Prospective Study -- Hatzenbuehler et al. 100 (3): 452 -- American Journal of Public Health

http://www.sprc.org/library/SPRC_LGBT_Youth.pdf

Prejudice, Social Stress, and Mental Health in Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Populations: Conceptual Issues and Research Evidence

Suicidal Signs | The Trevor Project (http://www.thetrevorproject.org/suicide-resources/suicidal-signs - broken link)

Youth suicide risk and sexual orientation - Statistical Data Included | Adolescence | Find Articles at BNET

This is a Gay Suicide Prevention Website>>>>>

http://www.thetrevorproject.org/about-trevor/organization (broken link)

Preventing Suicide Among LGBTQ Youth | The Trevor Project

YouTube - Google Chrome: It Gets Better

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 05-05-2011 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Truly sad.

No reason for suicide, but it must be hard to be picked on and berated simply for being who you are.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Truly sad.

No reason for suicide, but it must be hard to be picked on and berated simply for being who you are.
Yes it is....it seems with the internet the suicide problem among both gay and straight youth is increasing. But especially LGBT kids considering the political climate and some of the hate rhetoric and bullying they are subjected to frequently......on TV.....the net.....real life etc.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:00 PM

315 posts, read 366,786 times
I love that Google Chrome ad. Obviously they're using it for their own gains, but they're bringing awareness to something very important at the same time.

I'd love to see this on air more often.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
I love that Google Chrome ad. Obviously they're using it for their own gains, but they're bringing awareness to something very important at the same time.

I'd love to see this on air more often.
I like the infomercial/commentary as well. I applaud Chrome for doing it but of course their name while attached to it; does not overwhelm the message within it.....so I give them a overall.

I saw it on LOGO TV a few days ago.......and during GLEE on FOX.........

I agree it needs to be shown on other channels and across a wider demographic audience........

Fierce TV: RuPaul, Full Episodes, Reality TV Shows, Gay Movies | Logo TV | Watch Free Videos & New Music Videos

Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I like the infomercial/commentary as well. I applaud Chrome for doing it but of course their name while attached to it; does not overwhelm the message within it.....so I give them a overall.

I saw it on LOGO TV a few days ago.......and during GLEE on FOX.........

I agree it needs to be shown on other channels and across a wider demographic audience........

Fierce TV: RuPaul, Full Episodes, Reality TV Shows, Gay Movies | Logo TV | Watch Free Videos & New Music Videos

I'm a Gleek, too! LOL! I think they've done wonderful things to contribute to making it clear that bullying is wrong, and seriously so. Their own ads advocate acceptance, so this one didn't surprise me, but I love it. The fact that teens could be harassed to the point of suicide is horrific, but judging from some of the more rabid posters here, it's a problem that decent people can no longer be silent about. It's wrong to bully and abuse people verbally...if you don't see that, I'd suggest behavioral modification therapy with a reputable counselor.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I'm a Gleek, too! LOL! I think they've done wonderful things to contribute to making it clear that bullying is wrong, and seriously so. Their own ads advocate acceptance, so this one didn't surprise me, but I love it. The fact that teens could be harassed to the point of suicide is horrific, but judging from some of the more rabid posters here, it's a problem that decent people can no longer be silent about. It's wrong to bully and abuse people verbally...if you don't see that, I'd suggest behavioral modification therapy with a reputable counselor.
I agree many posters here are frankly TOXIC and then teach their kids their twisted/hateful agenda........it's very sad considering this country is supposed to stand for freedom......yet some only think freedom is for them alone.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I agree many posters here are frankly TOXIC and then teach their kids their twisted/hateful agenda........it's very sad considering this country is supposed to stand for freedom......yet some only think freedom is for them alone.

Sinclair Lewis nailed it: "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the Bible." The Westboro Baptist Church is a prime example. You can't put toothpaste back in the tube; America is becoming more progressive every year, and good people are speaking out against bad things.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Sinclair Lewis nailed it: "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the Bible." The Westboro Baptist Church is a prime example. You can't put toothpaste back in the tube; America is becoming more progressive every year, and good people are speaking out against bad things.
Slowly but surely things are changing for the better.......But I ain't getting any younger....LOL....

I worry about the LGBT youth of today......It troubles me seeing the recent increase in suicides and instances of bullying.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Slowly but surely things are changing for the better.......But I ain't getting any younger....LOL....

I worry about the LGBT youth of today......It troubles me seeing the recent increase in suicides and instances of bullying.

I know...kids are under so much pressure today, and being different is considered a bad thing. Ye gods...why not enjoy the diversity? People who scream about illegal immigrants still eat Mexican food and use Mexican words, like rodeo, barbeque, Florida, Montana, etc. Live and let live, as long as nobody gets hurt. I think it's a wonderful sign that we have LOGO, that Ellen is embraced, that people are speaking out. Too bad that churches have never grasped that 1/10th of their flock is gay but in the closet...maybe then they'd truly follow Christ and love others instead of hating, which withers the soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies