Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times

Advertisements

Have read and listened to viscious bashing of the President since about the early 1990s when Clinton was in office. Began in the very beginning with the White House Travel Office scandal and proceeded from there. Although I do note the withdrawl from Somalia was agreed to after the battle of Mogadishu (Black Hawk Down) episode.

Does it go further into the past than that era?

I do not recall this with Ronald Reagan even with the Iran-Contra Hearings or Jimmy Carter with the killer rabbit, Iran Mission Failure, or Playboy interview. Folks made pleasant fun of presidential foibles as in Gerald Foster stumbling here-there but no attempt was made to make the man incompetent for office or unpatriotic as it is now. It makes it appear as if disregarding the President is patriotic and the President's actions are malevolent to the USA.

Last edited by Felix C; 05-09-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
There's no pleasing some people.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
I would say Nixon who disgraced the Office of the President with what he did.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
I don't believe the office of the President has been disrespected by anyone other than those who have occupied it. The President himself must earn the respect and trust of those he serves. It is not disrespectful of the office to be disrespectful of an occupant who has either betrayed trust or failed to earn respect.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
The American people (at large) have never respected the office of presidency. As early as the "Whiskey Rebellion", president's were told to @#$%-off by various segments of it's citizenry. To disrespect politicians (and presidents) is as American as apple pie.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:21 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Have read and listened to viscous bashing of the President since about the early S when Clinto was in office. Began in the very beginning with the White House Travel Office scandal and proceeded from there. Although I do note the withdrawl from Somalia was agreed to after the battle of Mogadishu (Black Hawk Down) episode.

I do not recall this with Ronald Reagan even with the Iran-Contra Hearings or Jimmy Carter with the killer rabbit, Iran Mission Failure, or Playboy interview. Folks made pleasant fun of presidential foibles as in Gerald Foster stumbling here-there but no attempt was made to make the main incompetent for office or unpatriotic as it is now. It makes it appear as if disregarding the President is patriotic and the President's actions are malevolent to the USA.

Disrespect for the president is as old as the presidency.

Love to hear something said about Obama that wasn't far worse when directed at Bush.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:22 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
I also think that many people still have 'respect' for the 'office', but no respect for the President himself if he is not of that person's particular political party. To such people, whether the man himself is an effective president is beside the point.

I recall that President Johnson certainly was disparaged by many, many people. "Hey, Hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kills today" was one popular slogan that was shouted anytime he appeared in public. Indeed, he declined to run for office in 1968. Probably a wise choice on his part.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
There have always been some Americans who have disrespected the President and the office. It's not new. Technology, though, has provided those Americans with new venues to exhibit their disrespect. And I think also, because of technology, that a lot of respect for privacy is gone. People who will go on national TV to humiliate themselves and showcase their dysfunctionality are people who will also intrude on everyone else's privacy. People who make it their mission to "out" people are not people who respect privacy. And the sad thing is that privacy is foundational to freedom. Our society is knocking over boundary after boundary. It's not the government's intrusion on privacy that we should fear. It's the neighbor and his I-phone who's willing to take video of you and post it on the web. The people who feel entitled "to know" everything are a hazard to our future freedom.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:24 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,468,305 times
Quote:
Have read and listened to viscious bashing of the President since about the early 1990s when Clinto was in office. Began in the very beginning with the White House Travel Office scandal and proceeded from there. Although I do note the withdrawl from Somalia was agreed to after the battle of Mogadishu (Black Hawk Down) episode.

I do not recall this with Ronald Reagan even with the Iran-Contra Hearings or Jimmy Carter with the killer rabbit, Iran Mission Failure, or Playboy interview. Folks made pleasant fun of presidential foibles as in Gerald Foster stumbling here-there but no attempt was made to make the man incompetent for office or unpatriotic as it is now. It makes it appear as if disregarding the President is patriotic and the President's actions are malevolent to the USA.
My earliest political memories are from the Reagan era, and I can assure you it went on then as well. Reagan was personally blamed for the AIDs crisis, homelessness and a litany of other ills & issues.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:24 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Have read and listened to viscious bashing of the President since about the early 1990s when Clinto was in office. Began in the very beginning with the White House Travel Office scandal and proceeded from there. Although I do note the withdrawl from Somalia was agreed to after the battle of Mogadishu (Black Hawk Down) episode.

LOL, politics is a tough business, with plenty of sharp elbows being thrown. It has ALWAYS been this way. Do not confuse disrespect for the person for disrespect for the office. You can hold the person in low esteem while holding the office in high esteem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies