Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 05:33 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
The Nazis made sure everyone had radios. The radios were used for propaganda. Hmmm... I don't know about you but I'm more concerned with tyranny than terrorism.
If you have no problem with American citizens being forced to carry papers, why would you have a problem with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
I don't see an issue with this alert system.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:16 PM

268 posts, read 391,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If you have no problem with American citizens being forced to carry papers, why would you have a problem with this?

My identification sits quietly in my wallet. Once I put it there I pretty much forget about it unless asked for it.

My cell rings a bell. If big sis sets the terror level to code orange or whatever then my phone rings for whatever it may keep me from enjoying life to the fullest.

If there is another hurricane katrina or a suitcase nuke I won't be looking to Obama for direction. He will be safely tucked away in a cozy bunker. I will be out here in the real world.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
My identification sits quietly in my wallet. Once I put it there I pretty much forget about it unless asked for it.

My cell rings a bell. If big sis sets the terror level to code orange or whatever then my phone rings for whatever it may keep me from enjoying life to the fullest.
Don't answer the phone. I often ignore calls.

You still didn't answer my question, not surprised.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:36 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
I'm sure glad my old cell doesn't have the double-secret mind control chip.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:39 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
[

Emergency Broadcast System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You opt out like you opt out of your TV. Turn it off.

How many times has the President came on your TV.

Exactly.
Or, we can opt out by opting out Zero in November '12.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 PM

268 posts, read 391,867 times
[quote=Savoir Faire;19097670]
Quote:
I often ignore calls.
What if it‘s Obama with a life saving message? You won‘t miss a call once they have you trained.

Quote:
You still didn't answer my question, not surprised.

I answered the question. Read it again.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 PM

37 posts, read 42,823 times
Quote:

Why not make it an app? If you want more government control you can purchase it.

It's a propaganda tool. That is why you cannot opt out.

Now that is the comment I was hoping to read. It should be about choice. I for one do not care about the propaganda that will come out of Washington, by all means send me Amber Alerts for i do care about my fellow man. However getting the text message that we assassinated an unarmed " terrorist" (whole other discussion) In his bathrobe well I can wait until I hear about it at work. Or on the radio in the morning.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
It's not an actual chip, but all smart phones will receive amber alerts, terror alerts and Presidential announcements. You may opt out of the amber and terror alerts but if the President sends a blast text you have to receive it.
Is he going to pay for it? I have a cell phone only for emergencies and use the pay-as-you-go thing but I get charged $0.50 per text message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If any cellphone is turned on (and in a covered area), it is in a very real sense being tracked. This is a basic necessity for the damn thing to work - when you're moving, your device is constantly registering and de-registering with local cellular towers. Otherwise, the carriers couldn't route your calls.

As for this technology, it's a simple broadcast technology used to send alerts to any device currently registered to a given cellular tower or group of towers. You might as well claim that somebody is "tracking" you by the act of sending a text message.
That is exactly how it works.

I can also turn on your cell phone and play with it anytime I want. For example, I can turn on the transmitter and listen to anyone or anything within range of the transmitter.

Used to be you could turn your cell phone off and talk in private, now you can't even do that, because they can still turn it on and turn on the transmitter, so the only way to truly talk privately is to keep the cell phone out of voice range.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You must be a newbie here or blind. Repug is used to represent hypocritical republicans, at least in my book it is.
I understand the idiotic reference to republicans. I get that. I find it to be rude, inflammatory, intolerant and judgmental. Frankly, I thought the party of inclusion was above that sort of rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies