Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:51 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Fences are not that expensive to build.

Are you kidding me! I recently tried to have my 38 foot long wood fence torn down and a new one put up. Also replacing a wood gate. One estimate: $1,600. So I got a second job estimate: $1,200.

I mean, this is for a six-foot wood fence. I am still frustrated. The second job was taking into account buying the 8-foot sections at Lowes for some $40 per section (so I would need 4 or 5 sections).

Since then, I have some sympathy for the viewpoint of how expensive it must be to build a BIG fence along a border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Are you kidding me! I recently tried to have my 38 foot long wood fence torn down and a new one put up. Also replacing a wood gate. One estimate: $1,600. So I got a second job estimate: $1,200.

I mean, this is for a six-foot wood fence. I am still frustrated. The second job was taking into account buying the 8-foot sections at Lowes for some $40 per section (so I would need 4 or 5 sections).

Since then, I have some sympathy for the viewpoint of how expensive it must be to build a BIG fence along a border.
The federal government wastes hundreds of billions of dollars every year on worthless and ineffective programs. If they are going to waste money that we don't have, I'd rather it be spent on a fence on America's southern border than on nation building in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
Or is he only posing, preparing to get the Mexican-American vote?
It is not our borders that need to be fixed, it is those that hire the illegals that need the fixing
Casper

Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The federal government wastes hundreds of billions of dollars every year on worthless and ineffective programs. If they are going to waste money that we don't have, I'd rather it be spent on a fence on America's southern border than on nation building in Iraq and Afghanistan.
And I'm sure you actually have a plan to implement that the authorities are clueless about? How about this... I will buy you a one-way ticket into Mexico with the guarantee that you will leave your passport and any proof of US residency here. Then, try walking through the border since you claim the laws aren't being enforced.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
If you have just a glimmer oh hope that this president will solve or fix our Border problem, think again, your are only fooling yourself. This President from day one never had any intentions of solving our border problems, and people were still ok with this if you voted for him, you accepted his way of thinking. This president seems to want a welcoming committee for those illegals who come here illegally. Never had a clue, still does not have a clue. Would like to see him spend one full day on our border the worse ones, then see how he feels about our borders being safe.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post

I think I see what you mean.

So, if I tell the proper Federal Agency that illegals are climbing over my fence into the United States, they will come out and fix my fence?

It may work. I will have to get someone ignorant of the fact that Fort Worth is pretty far from the Rio Grande. However, that should not be real difficult. I will simply keep calling (and hanging up) until I get someone who answers "What can I do you for?"

Old 05-12-2011, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
i think after he lets about 500,000 more in he might get around to doing something, but first he has to make all of them legal and then change the law so you can vote whether you are a citizen or not.

NIta

Old 05-12-2011, 01:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It is not our borders that need to be fixed, it is those that hire the illegals that need the fixing
Casper
It's both: crack down of companies hiring illegals, stop giving illegals any government assistance, make sure they learn to speak English and make it madatory for every illegal here to either get the hell out or apply for citizenship and pay a huge fine. Only then will be even begin to make a dent in the problem.

NIta

Old 05-12-2011, 01:44 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
The mexican vote, legal and otherwise.

source

Quote:
Even ten years ago, I probably would have stated that there was no way illegal aliens could be voting in U.S. elections; today I know that they are voting.

The reality is that they are voting; and with nearly 19 million foreign-born residents who are not U.S. citizens in the country - as of the 2000 Census - and an estimated 25 million illegal alien residents (majority of which were not counted in the 2000 Census), the potential is enormous for non-citizens to affect the outcome of elections.

In 1996, the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act was enacted by Congress, which makes it a federal crime for non-citizens to vote in any federal election (or state election, unless authorized by state law). Additionally, a non-citizen who falsely claims to be a United States citizen is in violation of this law. However, there are many documented reports of non-citizens voting, and yet there is no evidence of prosecution of the aliens for such action.

According to the F.A.I.R. (Federation for American Immigration Reform) organization, charges were made in at least three federal elections in California and twice in Florida that voting by ineligible aliens may have determined the outcome of the election. F.A.I.R reported that in Florida, election observers say a “sizeable number” of Florida votes in the 2000 election may have been cast by ineligible illegal immigrants, non-citizens, and felons.

In my opinion, some of the main factors which make it easy for illegal aliens to vote are the enactment of The National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (NVRA) also known as the “Motor-Voter” law; the fact that postage-paid voter registration forms in Spanish are easily obtained at any U.S. Postal Office, community library or in the majority of public services offices; and, of course, absentee voting.

The “Motor-Voter” law makes the process of registering to vote nearly automatic for people applying for a state driver's license or ID card, and also calls for the distribution of registration applications (in English and Spanish) in state welfare offices. Under this law, the information supplied by the applicant for a license doubles as information for voter registration unless the applicant indicates that he or she does not want to be registered to vote. With driver's licenses being made available by several states to aliens (both legal and illegal), it seems likely that voter rolls now contain large numbers of non-citizens (eight states offer licenses to illegal immigrants: Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington)......

Old 05-12-2011, 01:54 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And I'm sure you actually have a plan to implement that the authorities are clueless about? How about this... I will buy you a one-way ticket into Mexico with the guarantee that you will leave your passport and any proof of US residency here. Then, try walking through the border since you claim the laws aren't being enforced.
The laws are being enforced, but it's not effective enough. The fact that there are millions of illegal aliens in this country reflect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies