Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:19 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Sorry but you are playing partisan politics. I've read many of your threads and if we were talking about Strom Thurmond, you would have been extremely critical of him.

You know darn well that Byrd is a racist. But because he is a Democrat, you are playing the game and excusing his racism because he was KKK member a long time ago. You don't go from becoming a strong member of the KKK to a racially tolerant individual. You know this, I know this, you are just playing the game to cover for your team (Democrats). This is just liberal hypocrisy.
Robert Byrd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Late in his life, Byrd explicitly renounced his earlier views favoring racial segregation.[48][49] Byrd said that he regretted filibustering and voting against the Civil Rights Act of 1964[50] and would change it if he had the opportunity. He said joining the KKK was, "the greatest mistake I ever made."[48] Byrd also said that his views changed dramatically after his teenage grandson was killed in a 1982 traffic accident, which put him in a deep emotional valley. "The death of my grandson caused me to stop and think," said Byrd, adding he came to realize that black people love their children as much as he does his.[51]

Byrd was the only senator to vote against both Thurgood Marshall and Clarence Thomas to the United States Supreme Court, the only two African-American nominees. In the former instance, Byrd asked FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover to look into what Byrd believed to be the possibility that Marshall had either connections to communists or had a communist past.[52] In the latter instance, Byrd stated that he was offended by Thomas' use of the phrase "high-tech lynching of uppity blacks" in his defense and that he was "offended by the injection of racism" into the hearing. He called Thomas's comments a "diversionary tactic", and said "I thought we were past that stage." Regarding Anita Hill's sexual harassment charges against Thomas, Byrd supported Hill.[53] Byrd joined 45 other Democrats in opposing Thomas.[54]

For the 2003-2004 session, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People(NAACP)[55] rated Byrd 100 percent compliant with the NAACP's position on the 33 Senate bills they evaluated. 16 other senators received that rating. In June 2005, Byrd proposed an additional $10 million in federal funding for the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial in Washington, D.C., remarking that, "With the passage of time, we have come to learn that his Dream was the American Dream, and few ever expressed it more eloquently."[56]

In a March 4, 2001, interview with Tony Snow, Byrd said of race relations:“ They're much, much better than they've ever been in my lifetime ... I think we talk about race too much. I think those problems are largely behind us ... I just think we talk so much about it that we help to create somewhat of an illusion. I think we try to have good will. My old mom told me, 'Robert, you can't go to heaven if you hate anybody.' We practice that. There are white n*ggers. I've seen a lot of white n*ggers in my time, if you want to use that word. We just need to work together to make our country a better country, and I'd just as soon quit talking about it so much.[57]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:23 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,893,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How can a telephone be a "leftist"?
How sad you don't know what a droid is beyond a phone....shows how low the people of this nation have sunk.

droid/droid/Noun

1. (in science fiction) A robot.
2. A person regarded as lifeless or mechanical.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:29 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,238,702 times
The Paul supporters are getting nervous, especially after Paul has again stuck his foot in it regarding civil rights and the government's role.

Guess what? You don't need liberals' votes for Paul in order to get him elected, if as you claim liberals are a minority in America. So why do you care what liberals think of Paul? You need to convince conservatives to support him!

Good luck with getting that broad consensus.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:54 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,031,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
The Paul supporters are getting nervous, especially after Paul has again stuck his foot in it regarding civil rights and the government's role.
Paul handled Mathews quite well on Hardball

Paul didn't stick his foot in his mouth in regards
to Jim Crow laws - he was happy they were repealed.

The American people are more concerned with our
deficit, our wars of choice, and bloated defense
spending. People are waking up. They are not
falling for false smears of "racism" from the peanut
gallery.

It is Obama that should be getting nervous that his
foreign policy so closely resembles that of George
Bush Jr.

YouTube - Ron Paul & Peter DeFazio "Democrats & Republicans Are Afraid Of Being Called Soft On Defense"

Old 05-16-2011, 07:03 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,552,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Touche!

They also can address the increase in inflation that would be caused by the recent run up in gold prices.

Also the leading producer of gold in the world is CHINA.

The gold standard is a 19th concept that won't work in a 21st century global economy.
Am I reading this right?!?!?

Are you claiming that inflation is caused by an increase in gold prices?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies