Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times

Advertisements

Thousands of people die each year from alcohol poisoning. Countless lives are lost in drunk driving accidents, often innocent lives.

FASTSTATS - Alcohol Use

There's one study that suggests that, in terms of both personal and societal harm, alcohol is worse than crack or heroin. And according to the WHO, 3.8% of all deaths in the world are the result of alcohol.

Drug experts say alcohol worse than crack or heroin | Reuters

And a study by the Lancet found that alcohol is more harmful (to the user) and dependence-causing than cannabis, ecstasy, LSD and steroids:

Let's also just think for ourselves - I've never heard of a man attacking his wife after having a joint, but I've heard plenty of stories of people going off on someone after they've had a few drinks in 'em.

So I ask all of you who support the War on Drugs and bans on things like marijuana:

Do you support banning alcohol? The numbers don't lie that it's dangerous...

disclaimer: I do not support the banning of alcohol. I have only done marijuana three times and probably won't do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
I do not support the war on drugs, as it is a waste of money, and a lot of drug users are in jail for what I would consider "victimless" crimes. With that said, if you rob a convenience store trying to get money for your fix, or harm someone else in the process, then of course you should face whatever harsh consequences that there may be. But as a taxpayer I feel incarcerating someone or screwing that person's chances of finding employment because of a silly weed charge for example, is a waste of my time and money. Furthermore, I would not support a ban on alcohol either for similar reasons. Enough with the nanny state BS! Prohibition breeds black market behavior.

Bottom line: Moderation is key.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:02 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Sure, why not...it worked so well last time.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
According to that chart. Alcohol is less harmful than tobacco, crack or heroin.

If you abuse anything then harm will come.

No reason to ban it. People who abuse any substance are being self destructive for their own reasons.

LSD on the chart is under almost everything including maryhooey as far as harmful/dependency is listed. However, we all have heard stories of people jumping out of windows thinking they could fly after dropping acid.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
People can die from drinking too much water.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Lightbulb Ban alcohol?

<hint> It's been tried already.

How well did it work out?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:29 PM

760 posts, read 685,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
People can die from drinking too much water.
That Dihydrogen Monoxide stuff is dangerous and should be controlled by the government!
  • The substance is the major component of acid rain.contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
  • may cause severe burns.
    is fatal if inhaled.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
That Dihydrogen Monoxide stuff is dangerous and should be controlled by the government!
  • The substance is the major component of acid rain.contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
  • may cause severe burns.
    is fatal if inhaled.
  • contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
  • accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
  • may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.

Wicked man just Wicked.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Is the issue the "substance" or the "addictive" personality? Should we ban fattening foods? Cigarrettes? Soda?

Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
ALL drugs and alchohol should be legal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies